Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@ErrorReport : Thanks for the reply.

No, I have enough to do to get and keep the latest Windows Operating Systems properly running. That was the reason why this domain and this Forum has the keyword "win-" within their names.

Fair enough~ :3

Tested this:

All fine, I don’t know if there is better performance. Only issue for me is that it appears on task bar and it’s ready to "eject".

Why this is not added on first page controller list?

@snowind : Thanks for having tested the generic SiliconMotion NVMe driver.

It is now listed there. I will test it myself asap.

I am trying to install Win 8 on a laptop that only has an WD SN750 NVME drive.
I am wondering if I can extract the driver I found on the 1st page here "64bit WD NVMe driver v3.3.2102.41615 WHQL" to the installation flash drive, so that the win 8 can recognize the NVME SSD.
Thanks a lot for your help.

@snowind :
Meanwhile I have tested the SiliconMotion NVMe driver v.10.4.32.6 with my Intel Z170 chipset system and got a not repairable BSOD while trying to reboot after the installation. So I cannot recommend to use this driver for an NVMe Controller of a bootable system drive.

@lingrapher :
Windows 8.1 has a generic in-box NVMe driver from Microsoft. So I think, that it is not necessary to integrate any third party NVMe driver into the ISO file or to load it at the beginning of the OS installation.
By the way - only the HGST NVMe Controller with the following HardwareIDs are supported by HGST/Western Digital NVMe driver while running Win8/8.1:
PCI\VEN_1C58&DEV_0003&CC_010802
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the reply, Dieter.
What I have is a Win 8 license not 8.1.
I tried this before, Win 8 doesn’t recognize the NVME. Where can I get the hardware ID for my WD NVME? or can I put the generic NVME driver for win 8.1 on the installation flash drive? If so, where can I find it.
Thanks again.

Edit by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post removed (to save space and for better readability)

@lingrapher : If you have a license for Win8, you can install Win8.1 as well (no new or additional license required).
You can find the HardwareIDs of an attached NVMe Controller while running any Windows OS, if you open the Device Manager, expand the "Storage Controllers" section, do a right-click onto the listed NVMe Controller (whichever name it has) and choose the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs.

This is good to know. Thanks.
So this laptop came with Win 10 S mode, I took the original NVME drive out and put a larger one in (WD SN750 512GB).
then I tried to install win 8 using a flash drive, but somehow the laptop didn’t start with the flash drive even I changed the order in BIOS.
Do you happen to know why?
I have used this methods to install Win 8 to many other non-OEM PC before.
Thanks

64bit AMD StoreMi SATA Drivers v9.4.0.48 WHQL for Win10/11 x64
These drivers are dated August 30, 2021, WHQL certification October 19, 2021, and only usable with disk drives, which are connected to the AMD SATA AHCI Controllers DEV_7901, DEV_43B6, DEV_43EB or DEV_43C8 running Win10/11 x64.

Releasenotes

Cheers
Tom

AMD_StoreMI_AHCI_v9.4.0.00048.zip (375 KB)

AMD RAID Software 2.20.19.037 (>2.17.05.2306)
RAID NVMe, RAID NVMe_DID, RAID SATA driver 9.3.0.00296 (>9.3.1.22 & 9.3.0.266)

Hi @Fernando I’m new to the forum, i have found this thread while searching for ssd nvme drivers. I have an acer nitro 5 laptop with 9300h and my storage controller is currently uses intel rst premium driver. When i try to install any other nvme driver for intel rst driver under storage controllers, pc doesnt boot to windows it just keep loading and loading. I tried samsung generic driver and micron nvme official drivers. I have micron 2200 oem nvme and bx500 sata ssd installed on the system. I’m using have disk method as suggested in the first page and i imported the certificate via cmd executable. Pc sata mode is set to rst premium with optane in uefi bios.
My questions are:
-Why my system is not booting when i change the drivers?
-Am i doing something wrong during installation proccess?
-How can i fix this problem?

Off-topic but you might help me, my bx500 960gb is getting really slow lately, like read speeds are fine but write speeds are 5-6mb/s. I have searched web for the solutions and the recommendations were using trim and leaving drive idle for garbage collection. I run trim daily and smart data suggests that drive is healthy. I have left pc in the bios overnight for 6 hours for gc and it didn’t solve the issue. I have disabled drive sleep in power options and slept pc overnight for 10 hours for gc, still didint fix the issue. From the reviews I’ve read bx500 has around ~40gb cache but mine fills in 3.5 gigs. Do you have any idea or suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Sorry for the long long reply, thanks in advance.

@sdidsa : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
To be able to help you I need the following information:
1. in-use Operating System,
2. HardwareIDs of the NVMe Controller (listed within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager) and
3. version of the in-use Intel NVMe driver.
Regarding your performance problem please have a look into the start post of >this< thread.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi @Fernando I guess thats me,
-I’m using window 10 21H1 with the latest updates.

-These are hardware ids for storage controller.
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_13311025&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_13311025
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104

- I’m using version 17.11.0.1000 Intel RST drivers.

@sdidsa : Thanks for your quick reply. I am sorry for having mixed the nicknames (it is corrected now).
Now to your question:
The HardwareIDs of the Storage Controller verify, that your SSDs are running in RAID mode, which is rather unusual, if the RAID array members are using a completely different data transfer protocol (SATA and NVMe).
Did you know, that your on-board Intel SATA Controller has been set within the BIOS to "RAID"?
Was this the original configuration, when you bought the laptop or did you change the original hardware configuration and BIOS setting regarding "RAID"?
Where is the OS installed and where is the boot sector (on the micron 2200 oem nvme or on the bx500 sata ssd)?

@Fernando Thanks for reply, for your question i think it was the original state because i havent changed anything in the bios regarding sata modes. Also theres no change option to ahci its greyed out but i have found a workaround to change it, didn’t try it though. My os is installed on the micron 2200 and bx500 is a storage and game drive. Regarding sata controller being in raid mode, what is effects of being in raid mode and how can i change it? Thank you again for your effort.

@sdidsa :
I have no idea why Acer has chosen this specific storage configuration. Usually the NVMe SSD as the by far fastest one should be the system drive (having the OS and the boot sector on it) and the SATA SSD runs in AHCI mode and is used for storage purposes. Only this configuration allows you to use a non-Intel NVMe driver, which is usually better performant than an Intel one.
By the way - >here< is a guide how to change the SATA mode to “AHCI”, but I do not recommend to change the SATA mode from within a running OS. You may get an unbootable system. So if you want to avoid a clean OS installation (after having changed the SATA mode), I recommend to stick to the current configuration.
If you want just to change the Intel RST driver version, you can try the v18.36.4.1022 WHQL dated 09/03/2021. It supports the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SATA Controller running in RAID mode.

Thank you for detailed information @Fernando
I just want to change the drivers to see or experience differences myslef. It probably wont make a world of differnece but manufacturer keeping me away from this bothers me. I plan to do a clean install of windows 21h2 soon anyway so i guess after backing up data i will give sata change a try. By changin from rst premium with optane to AHCI, will i be able to change controller drivers from os like you posted on the first page.
Also i bought an nvme ssd for empty slot on the motherboard of laptop and benchmarked it. Random write scores and random write scores were especially mow on my system. I can say that it was underperforming by 15-20%. Can that be correlated to sata mode? Would changing from RST to AHCI be any help on that matter?

@sdidsa : Since I never had a system configuration like you, I can only guess or expect a certain outcome after having changed the configuration. Experienced users of an Acer Nitro 5 laptop may have better ideas than me.
The problem I see in the current configuration is the dependenciy between the NVMe SSD and the SATA SSD. Both are using the same driver and Controller. That is why I would prefer to give them more independence. The M.2/PCIe connected NVMe SSD - if running individually - can use the best among the various NVMe drivers, whereas the SATA SSD can use the OS in-box AHCI driver, which performs very good.
Good luck!

@Fernando So you suggest giving AHCI a try and gather evidence myself. This way dependency among drives would be less. Did i understand you correctly?