Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

According to Ryzen 9 7950X · Issue #378 · cyring/CoreFreq · GitHub 1022:43f7 is a USB controller

Forgive me my ignorance today, I usually dont do such things, but I got quite tired with this problem…

so I didnt read all the 2400 posts here.

All I would like to know,

1. how to query the Host Buffer Memory (HBM) value requested from the stornvme driver, and how much did the system gave back for use.
  2. How can the HBM be disabled for testing purposes, to see what difference it makes with and without HBM on a Samsung 980 dramless SSD.

@soder Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
Until now I had no reason to care about the Host Buffer Memory values requested from the in-use NVMe driver, because all tested drivers ran with their expected specific speed.
Maybe >this< report will help you.
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I am aware that Anandtech did check the HMB real size vs requested size, and they did even turn it off for comparison. But damn them, they kept it secret, how the hell did they manage to make that happen. There is not a single word in the entire article, HOW?!. And these 2 yr old articles are closed for new comments to ask them there. So cant figure myself out.

Meh, it seems I only want to know more about topics, where the public knowledge simply is nonexistent… :frowning:

Do you really expect an answer to your AnandTech specific questions within this Forum?

No, I just wanted to get an idea, if an anandtech journalist managed to query/change the HBM settings, can anybody else do the same, and if yes, how? Level1tech forum was a 2nd choice, this is a thread for data hoarders and firmware maniacs, if someone was familiar with THAT level of depth, thwy would be found around here. Did I post to a relatively non-traffic thread?

Anandtech forum -if it ever existed in the past- no longer exists today. Or at least I couldnt find it on their site, to ask the question on their relevant platform. Seems anandtech only invested into a comment section per article. Which gets closed down very soon after the article was submitted. Also, tracking conversations per article comment section is a futile thing. So anandtrch seems optimized for a write-only approach, they are not interested in community engagement. At least not really after a certain point.

This is not true. Look >here<.

Thanks Fernando. I have no idea how someone should discover that damn forum, if its nowhere referenced from their main site. I literally went through all the menus and sub-menus, all the categories, checked through the about section, but nothing. I feel am getting too old for all of this.

Hi All
I try find driver for Windows 7
for NVME disk Western Digital: “WDC PC SN520”

“Microsoft’s NVMe Hotfixes” not help.
“64bit WD NVMe driver v3.3.2102.41615 WHQL” not help.

can you please help me?

@JSI Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!

What does this mean?
Did you follow my detailed advices regarding the integration of the MS Hotfixes into the ISO file (look into the start post of this thread)? If yes, what happened?

If you have read the related part of the start post, you would know, that the WD NVMe drivers do not work with Win7 (only modern Operation Systems from Win8.1 up are supported).

Hello Fernando! Thanks for the quick response.

Here’s what I did:
I try install win7_x64_sp1 under UEFI without CMS-Legacy on HP PRODESK 400 G4 Desktop mini PC (CPU i3-8100T, chipset B360)

1. So for GOP video I use UEFISeven.
  2. I unpacked both msu files KB2990941-v3 and KB3087873-v2.
    And then, using NTLite, I integrated the cab files into boot.wim and install.wim.
  3. I also integrate USB3 drivers (DEV_A36D) via NTLite.

Mouse and keyboard work well, but the disk did not appear during the installation process.

Disk: Western Digital “WDC PC SN520” NVMe M.2 SDAPNUW-128G-1006
On board controller: SanDisk 20-82-00703-A1
Chip Memory: SanDisk 05561 128G

Under WIN10
property “Device instance path” show: SCSI\DISK&VEN_NVME&PROD_WD_PC_SN520_SDA\4&3230551F&0&20000
property “Hardware Ids” show: SCSI\DISKNVMe___WDC_PC_SN520-SDA0006

Can you tell me how to solve the problem?

@JSI

How did you do it? You have to integrate them as “Hotfixes”, not as “Drivers”.

The HardwareIDs of the NVMe “Disk” are much less important for the boot process than those of the NVMe “Controller” (listed within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager).

I integrate cab files as Updates, not as Drivers:
NTLite: Integrate->Updates->Add->Package files, then select cab files from (KB2990941, b3087873)

WIN10 Device Manager:
Storage controllers:
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller → Hardware Ids:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_83F3103C&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_83F3103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller → Hardware Ids:
Root\Spaceport

@JSI
Questions:

1. Is the NVMe SSD connected to the mainboard while running Win10/11?
  2. Off which disk are you currently booting and onto which disk do you want to get Win7 installed?
  3. Have you already tried to disable the “RAID” mode within the BIOS before starting the Win7 installation?
  1. Yes disk now install, with OS WIN10
  2. Now booting from this disk with WIN10
  3. I have not this option in BIOS

I was able to install WIN7 on this drive. If I change the WIN7 installer to WIN10 (I used boot.wim from WIN10 and Install.win from WIN7) it works, the installer from WIN10 can detect that NVME disk, but after installation when WIN7 tries to load disk.sys it reboots computer. As far as I understand, need correct NVME driver for WIN7, and HotFix from MS does not help.

@JSI
You can only boot in UEFI mode off an NVMe SSD and the NVMe SSD has to use the GUIMode Partition Table (GPT). This is valid for all Windows Operating Systems.

This means, that no NVMe Controller is in-use by the OS. I wonder how you are able to boot off the NVMe SSD while running Win10.
Please check the driver version, which the listed “Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller” is using.

Which Options do you see within the “Advanced” BIOS options regarding the on-board Intel SATA Controller(s)?

It worked for all other Win7 users, who tried to get Win7 installed onto an NVMe SSD.
Tip:
Use the Win7 ISO file, where you had integrated the MS Hotfixes into both WIM files, but follow my advices given within the chapter “B. Best/safest procedure to get Win10/11 properly installed onto an NVMe SSD”, which you can find within the start post of >this< thread. The method should work with Win7 as well.
By the way - besides the MS NVMe Hotfixes only the generic Phison NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 supports Win7 from scratch.

Yes, I boot in UEFI mode, with GPT, becouse if I set Legacy mode, then NVMe does’not work even in WIN10.

“iaStorAVC.sys” File version: 15.44.0.1015 Provider: Intel Corporation

In the “Advanced” BIOS parameters, there is not a word about Intel SATA controllers, only a checkbox to enable or disable M.2 SSD
2.89 MB

info-blue
HP ProDesk 400 35W G4 Desktop Mini PC - BIOS Simulator

Thank you for this tips, I all do the same way, but as I say before this NVme Disk not work.

@JSI
Thanks for your quick and clear reply.

Before I will try to help you to get Win7 x64 installed onto the NVMe SSD, you should update your current Win10 x64 configuration:

a) If not already done, I recommend to download and flash the latest BIOS, which is offered by HP for your specific device. Maybe this will already solve some problems.

b) The NVMe Controller of your NVMe SSD uses currently a very old Intel RST SATA RAID driver dated 02/08/2018, which is in-the-box of all modern Windows Operating Systems.
HP recommends for your system the much newer (and fully NVMe supporting) Intel RST driver v17.3.11.1010 WHQL dated 11/25/2022 and I agree with HP in this case.
For Win10/11 x64 I recommend to download the “pure” 64bit Intel RST driver v17.3.11.1010 from >here< and to replace the currently in-use Intel RST driver by the much newer and probably much better driver.
Procedure:

1. Run the Device Manager and expand the section “Storage Controllers”.
  2. Right-click onto the listed “Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller”
  3. Choose the options “Update Driver” > Browse my Computer" > “Search”
  4. Navigate to the folder, where the unzipped Intel RST driver files are stored…Let me pick…"
  5. Press the “OK” button

The correct and 100% matching driver will be installed automaticly.
After having rebooted don’t forget to run the Device Manager again, to expand the “Storage Controllers” section and to look for the updated name of the NVMe Controller. It should now be “Intel(R) NVMe Controller”.

Don’t you see a BIOS entry named “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology”? If yes, which options does it show?

a) Yes, BIOS is the latest version. The first thing I did was update the BIOS, but it didn’t help.
b) Thanks for information, I will definitely do this if I fail to install WIN7 and have to stay on win10.

No, these parameters are not in the BIOS, earlier in the post I attached a link to a PDF file simulating my BIOS from the HP website, you can see the full contents of my BIOS, there are no such settings there.