Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI drivers v2.0.8.0 WHQL dated 01/27/2014 for Win8/8.1 and Win7 (32/64bit)
  • removed: 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI drivers v1.4.1.0 dated 12/26/2012

Note: After the installation of the v2.0.8.0 driver the “ASMedia 106x SATA Controller” will be shown within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Sevice Manager. This is nothing to worry about.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI drivers v2.0.8.1 WHQL dated 03/14/2014 for Win8/8.1 and Win7 (32/64bit)

Note: After the installation of the v2.0.8.1 driver the “ASMedia 106x SATA Controller” will be shown within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager. This is nothing to worry about.

Fernando,

Do you know if a solution exists to have TRIM support in AHCI mode for any SSD connected on a MARVELL 88SE9128 port ?

Currently i have to use MSACHI V 1.0 driver to get TRIM functional instead of MARVELL driver. (this was your recommendation few months ago).

MARVELLonP8Z77VDeluxe.PNG

As you know this Microsoft driver is not performant.

As you know the current last MARVELL driver (v1.2.0.1041) does not support TRIM.
This driver is more performant than MSAHCI V 1.0 but is designed for HDD only and not SSD.

Do you think that MARVELL OROM is the root of the problem or not ?

Hi all, I am lost searching in the forum. Basically I wonder which orom/driver combo is best for z87 and raid0 (ssd)?

TIA.

This question is not easy to be answered, because the definition of what is "the best" may be different.
If you want to get the best benchmark scores, I recommend to use the old Intel RST driver/OROM combo v11.2.0.1006/v11.2.0.1527, but if you want to get all features of your rather new Z87 system, I recommend to use the latest Intel RST(e) driver/OROM combos v13.1.0.1052/v13.1.0.2030 (the driver is not yet WHQL) or v13.0.3.1003/v13.0.0.2075.

To make the choice of the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID driver easier for you and other users, I just have updated the start post of >this< thread.

Hi Fernando,

I tried to upgrade my AHCI driver. But after install “64bit Win7Vista AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.359 WHQL”,Windows 7 64bit cann’t enter system, pause at Windows loading logo.

My motherboard is ASUS M4A77T with AMD 770/SB710 chipset.

@ wueiz.
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I don’t know the reason for the boot problem, because you installed an officially released and WHQL certified driver.
Try to boot in safe mode and to reinstall the previously used AMD AHCI driver or the generic MSAHCI driver. If this shouldn’t work, use the F8 option "Last known good configuration".

Good luck!
Fernando

I have to rollback the driver to older one, than everything seems all right.

Thanks anyway.

Please let us know the driver version, which is working fine now for your system.
This may be useful for other users with a similar hardware configuration.

Please let us know the driver version, which is working fine now for your system.
This may be useful for other users with a similar hardware configuration.

AMD AHCI controller driver distribution list
Version 1.2.0.125

This one.

AMD AHCI controller driver distribution list
Version 1.2.0.125
This one.

Thanks for your reply.
Remark: The AMD AHCI driver v1.2.0.125 is dated 05/05/2009 and more than 5 years old!
Look here:

AMD AHCI driver v1.2.0.125 date.png

Yes, it’s petty old one. This’s I downloaded form ASUS support website. I saw your recommended the newer driver, but didn’t work on my computer.
Do you have other version for me to have a try?

EDIT by Fernanso: Unneeded quoted text and pic deleted (to save space)

Finally got a AHCI driver that didn’t slow my system down. :slight_smile:

Which one is it and which chipset has your system?

I used the one you had listed for Win7 64bit and it works like a charm. I have the Gigabyte GA890X-UD3 version M/B with the 790X chipset.
Just received my other SSD so, I am going to run raid on this board, raid 0. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the site Fernando, it’s VERY useful. :slight_smile:

Version 1.2.1.359 AHCI driver.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit AMD AHCI drivers v1.3.1.220 WHQL dated 03/21/2014 for Win8/8.1

Have fun with these new drivers!
Fernando

Hello,

I have an old (but very reliable) Dell Precision 370 that uses the Intel 82801FR raid controller (version 4.x ROM). Windows XP 32bit accepted the modded Intel MSM drivers (PCH RAID) at F6 install. Is this the recommended drivers for this old raid controller for XP?

Thanks

@ ClintE:

AFAIK the Intel 82801FR SATA RAID Controller is the ICH6R one and has the DeviceID DEV_2652.

Which version of the modded Intel MSM drivers do you mean?
The latest Intel MSM driver, which will support the Intel ICH6R SATA RAID Controller with Windows XP, is the 32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando. You can find the link within the start post of >this< thread.

Yes, that’s the one I’m using. Does it matter if I choose PCH, ESB2, or the ICH6R from that driver set?

AFAIK your mainboard has an Intel(R) ICH6R SATA RAID Controller. So you should choose the ICH6R one.