Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@SkOrPn :
As you already found out yourself, the latest Samsung NVMe drivers do support the Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD and can be installed without any problem onto its NVMe Controller, which is listed within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager.
To make clear, that the users should not try to update the drivers of devices, which are listed within the “Disk drives” section, I have added a short chapter “How to get AHCI/RAID/NVMe drivers installed” to the start post.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• OCZ/Toshiba NVMe drivers:
    • new: “pure” 32/64bit OCZ NVMe drivers v1.2.126.843 mod+signed by me at 07/09/2017
      Note: These drivers additionally do support the Toshiba “XG4” NVMe Controllers with the DeviceIDs DEV_0103 and DEV_0115. Thanks to alvarezegam and Jan for having tested them.
    • added: Chapter "How to get AHCI/RAID/NVMe drivers installed"

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi all,

First post on the forums so apologies if it’s in the wrong section! I’m having some trouble trying to install Windows 10 onto my SSD drive. The BIOS, device manager and disk management all recognise the SSD (shows as Disk 1 in images) and I’ve scanned it with diskpart which shows no errors etc. However when I try to do a clean Windows 10 install on it Windows Setup doesn’t recognise the SSD is attached. I’m assuming this is because I need some drivers integrating into my Windows image. I created this by using the Windows Media Creation Tool. I have confirmed it works correctly as I successfully installed it on a HDD as a test.

Screenshots of device manager and data management

However now I’m unsure which drivers I should be downloading and installing from this thread: Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Originally I assumed I’d need Toshiba drivers as that’s who manufactured my SSD. After looking at the storage controllers I’m now wondering if I actually need the Intel RAID drivers… Toshiba’s website is very unhelpful.

Here’s screenshots of my hardware, storage controllers and their Hardware ID’s

I’ve started going through Fernando’s guide but I don’t want to go any further than step B1 until I’m sure I have the correct drivers etc: [Guide] Integration of drivers into a Win7/8/10 image

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

@milks :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Since your request matches very good this thread, I have moved it here. Furthermore I have slightly customized your chosen post title.

If the Win10 in-box NVMe driver should not detect the NVMe Controller of your Toshiba SSD, I recommend to integrate or load the latest OCZ NVMe driver. The link can be found within the start post of this thread.
Before you are going to start the Win10 installation onto the Toshiba SSD (must be done in UEFI mode), you should unplug the Hitachi HDD.

I wonder why and how you got this Intel RAID driver installed at all.
Why have you set the Intel SATA Controller to “RAID”? It doesn’t make much sense for a single SSD.
Which Intel RAID driver version has been installed? Has it been automaticly by Windows/Windows Update or manually by you?
Is the SSD new or has it been used before by you or someone else (maybe as member of an Intel RAID array)?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@milks ,

Please detail your full system specs. From my experience Windows 10 installer can be very picky when it comes to installing on to NVME SSD. It took me literally a couple once to complete the install. Fernando will tell you to make your own bootable usb key using Rufus and his suggestion to load the nvme driver is the way to go. I made mine with the Windows 10 media creation tool. The key points though are to set your bios to Ahci mode and turn off raid, use diskpart to wipe your disk blank, disconnect any other foreign disks like linux or osx. I remember in my case the Windows 10 installer had trouble creating the system partition. Took a few tries. Others have tried using a newer machine to do the install, and then transplant the disk back into the older pc for it to run through its device configuration and final setup. I for one have used cloning software though found later the system would fail to update to a newer Windows 10 build. Key points though is to turn off other storage controllers in your bios.

Good luck!

@Fernando
Hi Feranando. Thanks for your help (and the welcome), very interesting website. I haven’t changed any BIOS settings, the laptop came with everything pre-installed and setup from Dell Outlet. They didn’t install Windows on my SSD like I requested, hence why I’m trying to fix it now! The SSD is new. I’ve just finished successfully installing Windows 10 on the SSD (and switched the BIOS to the correct settings). Many thanks for your help.

@davidm71
Thanks for your input. As I mentioned above I’ve just successfully installed Windows 10 on the SSD after following all the advice you guys gave me, thank you.
Out of interest what information was missing from the specs picture I uploaded? Just asking out of interest in case I need to upload anything in the future.

EDIT by Fernando: Absolutely dispensable fully quoted posts and some blank lines removed (to save space within this voluminous thread)

It is fine, that you succeeded - congratulations!
Did you load/integrate the OCZ NVMe driver? Which NVMe driver does the NVMe Controller of your Toshiba SSD using now?

Sorry missed your specs prior. Nothing missing.

@Fernando

Yes I did. I integrated the: “pure” 64bit OCZ NVMe driver v1.2.126.843 WHQL"

Everything is working fine now and my SATA drive is reinstalled. I need to install Windows 7 from an ISO file now, so I have a Dual Boot system. Do I need to do the same thing to this file or is there a different procedure? Any further help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My SSD is formatted as a GPT disc. If I get the correct ISO file I believe I can mount it for GPT format using e.g. Rufus.

EDIT: Would appear i7 kabylake processors don’t support Windows 7.

Hi Fernando,

I was wondering if could help me with this I getting new Broadcom 9400-16I Tri-Mode NVME/SAS controller.

Going to use with 2xP3700 U2 drives and 8 SAS drives

Firmware HBA_9400-16i_Mixed_Profile.bin - got no idea
efibios mpt35sas_x64.rom = I understand how to do this
storcli64.exe = is use on these HBAs its not a raid controller

Thanks

No, I cannot help you with this.

I don’t think so, but it is not as easy as with Win10 to get Win7 installed in UEFI mode by using an USB Flash Drive.
My advice: Do a Google search to find out what you have to do.

Hi Fernando,

Thank anyway I thought I would ask, done google search nothing come up, buy links and boardcom site there documentation for storcli is dated 2013 this card has just been released.

I will work it out once the card is here.

Just wanted to say Thanks!

Asus P8Z68-V LE
i7-2600k
Intel SSD 600p 275Gb NVMe w/Generic PCIe Adapter

Followed your instructions, everything went well with the insertion of the NVME stuff. BIOS flashed, no problem.
Had a couple issues installing Win10 on it, but that wasn’t the BIOS Mod… it was Mickey$oft…
Anyway, all is well… Booting from the NVMe drive… very quickly! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much!!

-Gonz

@Fernando ,
A new release of ASM 106x SATA 6G driver WHQL for W10 is available onto station driver.
The version 3.2.1.0 is the same, but the contents are different.

@all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI/RAID Drivers:
    • updated: 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI&RAID drivers v3.2.1.0 WHQL for Win8-10 (now dated 07/21/2017)
    • refreshed: ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI&RAID Drivers & Installer Set v3.2.1.0 WHQL (contains now the brandnew Win8-10 drivers)
    • Note:
      Since I am currently not able to test the refreshed complete Installer Set myself, please give us your feedback, whether it works or not.

Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source files and 100PIER for the info.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando. As i have built my new XP 32bit capable AMD apu pc, i thought i would add an update here.

For those who dont know, socket FM2 - A85X A75 and A55 chipsets use the Promise controller. Socket FM2+ uses the Dot Hill controller. The XP Dot Hill rcxpahci driver v6.1.3.00035 is 32bit only, there is no 64bit version. There is also an XP Dot Hill 32bit raid only driver - rcraid 6.1.3.00035(you have not got that on the 1st page). There are 2 additonal drivers in the xp\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\Bolton(Gigabyte drivers disc), AHCI-CFG and RAID-CFG. I dont know what those 2 are. Let me know if you want any of these. :slight_smile:

edit - Have PM’d the links. I have integrated the (original unmodded)32bit ahci driver with nlite and it works. Have not noticed any problems with usb, but as you have modded it for a reason, i will give that a try. :slight_smile:

@EmmaRoyd :
Thanks for your suggestion regarding the AMD AHCI and RAID drivers for Windows XP.

This 32bit AMD AHCI driver is already listed within the start post of this thread. Do you think, that anything regarding this driver should be changed?
Notes:
1. The real driver version is 6.1.3.35 (you can verify it by doing a right-click onto the *.SYS file and choosing the options “Properties” >“Details”).
2. The TXTSETUP.OEM has been customized by me to avoid problems while integrating the driver (the interfering USB entries have been removed).

Yes, please give me the link to the RAID driver.

@all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• AMD AHCI and RAID Drivers:
    • new: 32bit AMD RAID driver v6.1.3.35 WHQL for XP dated 01/08/2014
    • refreshed and renamed: 32bit AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 WHQL for XP dated 01/08/2014

Thanks to EmmaRoyd for the link to the source package.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Just wanted to report on some reports of compatibility issues with the ver 1.5 Open Fabrics Nvme driver I came across. These reports I found on the Open Fabrics email list subscription I have however the exact details are above my head being technical. Probably be a ver 1.6 coming out soon…

Fernando, i am still using the unmodded AMD AHCI v6.1.3.35 driver from Gigabyte, but you mention the "interfering USB entries". What problems did those entries cause? I am using an MS wireless mouse, receiver in a USB2 port, i have changed the battery, but it the mouse sticks every so often.

edit - I have a similar issue with my logitech wireless keyboard, it slows down when i type, yes i changed the batteries too.

@EmmaRoyd :
The 32bit AMD AHCI and RAID drivers v6.1.3.35, which I have uploaded and linked within the start post on 08/09/2017, are WHQL certified and not modded anymore.

The TXTSETUP.OEM files of previously available original AMD AHCI and RAID drivers v6.1.3.35 contained some USB entries, which let the XP installation stop right at the beginning (= textmode part), when this original textmode driver had been loaded or integrated. That is why I had removed these entries from the TXTSETUP.OEM file(s). Fortunately this modification is not needed anymore, because now we have these textmode drivers as original WHQL ones with a “clean” TXTSETUP.OEM.
By the way: The driver, which is offered by the Gigabyte Support, is identical with the driver I am offering within the start post since the 08/09/2017. The TXTETUP.OEM of both packages do not contain any USB entries.