Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Trimcheck Version 0.7 was posted (see my link on previous page).
However, from what I saw on my card, the chipset uses different lanes for the external connectors - they can activate any 2 connectors from the 4 possible options (see below). So… that might affect the end result.
As I said, my card came with even an older driver (1.1.9.0 dated 01/30/2011), didn’t need to test it but I will post it if needed…
Or he can just install the MS generic AHCI driver for a quick test.

When using V 2.0.8.000 WHQL ASM106xx SATA driver I get also NO TRIM (Trimcheck V 0.7) function and NO SMART function on any of the two the e_SATA ports.
Moreover CrystalDiskinfo (V 6.1.14 or V 6.2) doesnot see the external drive…
However, Crystaldiskmark sees well the external drive.
I see that when using V 2.0.8.000 driver W7 Configuration Panel sees differently (as SCSI) than with V 1.4.1.0 (as IDE).

Using V 1.4.1.0 I see also better performance (CrystalDiskMark bench, AnvilPro bench, AS_SSD bench, ATTO bench) , and CrystalDiskinfo sees the external drive (SSD) but does not report any SMART infos.

So, at this day my preference is to use the V 1.4.1.0 driver for the ASMEDIA106xx e_SATA ports for this mboard (ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, modded BIOS UBU 8.2).

Picture Uploads don’t work anymore:
“The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.

Please try again later.

err:http://217.13.206.180/files/dyn/handle_upload.php

Hochladen von Dateien
Das Hochladen von Dateien ist vorübergehnd leider nicht möglich.

Bitte haben Sie einen Moment Geduld oder nutzen Sie in der Zwischenzeit den Service www.bilder-hochladen.net um Bilder hochzuladen und in Ihrem Forum Beitrag darzustellen.

Minimize window

close window

Chat settings

Sound on/off”

Hey Fernando, just letting you know, I did hit the Tab "Driver" but all it gave was the info on the maker, Advanced Micro Devices, the version, the usual, so I didn’t take a pic, as I was concerned about the amount of pics being posted, and being told it was too many, that kind of thing. I was a forum poster for a few web sites, so as nervous as I was, I just made as few posts of pics as possible, and since I figured you have seen the driver details of many a driver in Windows Device Manager, I figured the more important IMAGE you needed to view was of these drivers actually running on my computer, which I showed you with Serviwin.

In part, I also explained the issue about not taking the pics of the details of driver, but perhaps you missed it, as some of what I typed might be muddled to you, as I tend to use other words to describe what I mean than is the dedicated norm. Regardless, I felt that the point of our conversation was getting off track and away from my initial inquiry.

I do feel that in the process of the discussion, I have gained new knowledge regarding my issue and the computer as a whole, so I did not leave the discussion empty-minded.

Take Care, and fortune to you in the future.
Xeny

EDIT by Fernando: Quoting corrected

@ Xeny:
Thanks for your reply.
This is my conclusion after having seen your pictures:
1. Your computer has 2 different storage controllers.
2. One of them is running in AHCI mode, the other in IDE mode.
3. None of the 2 controllers is using an AMD AHCI driver.
4. The storage controller, which is running in IDE mode, is an AMD one.

Today Pacman has published at Station-Drivers new ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI STOR drivers v2.0.9.1 WHQL for Win8/Win7and AHCI SCSI drivers v2.0.3.2 WHQL for Win8/Win7/Vista/XP.
As a consequence I have tested both drivers with my Z97 system, which has 4 ASMedia 106x SATA3 ports running in AHCI mode.
Result: TRIM is not working (neither with the ASMedia AHCI driver v2.0.9.1 nor with the v2.0.3.2).
Nevertheless I decided to update the start post of this thread.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit ASMedia 106x SATA3 AHCI drivers v2.0.9.1 WHQL dated 03/26/2014 for Win8/8.1 and Win7 (x86/x64)

Good luck with these ASMedia AHCI drivers!
Fernando

I can confirm, the 2.0.9.1 don’t have TRIM working either.
To me it seems that only when the device driver is in the “IDE/ATA ATAPI” section, TRIM is working. Since they moved it into “Storage Controllers” (SCSI) section, they lost the TRIM. It’s sad…

i admit i am an amd fan girl but only because of their price/performance ration, they always were ‘good enough’(my triple core athlon II 435 was a little beauty for 65quid ish) but driver support was a bitch. there was a back door for developers for drivers page and it was sweet but the ratbags closed that. a driver update utility would report a new SB driver so yoy download the 25mb package just to find out the SB driver was the same one, not happy when my internet is pay as you go and thats 25mb wasted! having had a temp dell usff intel, what a difference to find the drivers using intels scanner. thats why im looking at ivy bridge hardware(corr its getting tight now) over a kaveri setup.
sorry amd, but you suck.

@ EmmaRoyd:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I am not sure, which sort of driver you are looking for.
Please give us more details about your system.

Regards
Fernando

thank you,
until my new system is purchased i dont have the foggiest what i will need to be honest, but being ‘home user plus’ i thought it best to signup at a few knowledgeable places and finding a link to here through your posts i thought it couldnt hurt, besides, i have a load of amd drivers that could well come in handy to others.

Emma

It will be easier for you and us, if we start the discussion about the "best" AHCI/RAID driver for your upcoming system, when you know the chipset of your new mainboard and the SATA mode you want to run your future system drive.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows

New AMD chipset drivers 14.9

Edit: For some strange reason catalist installer doesn`t offer to install SATA drivers at all. It is Win8.1 here.

@ mbk1969:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I am not at home now, I cannot check these new drivers at the moment.

Regards
Fernando

Thank you for that superb resource. We even used it in our work as we struggle to implement a new feature with SSD trim and experimented with different drivers versions.

As for new catalyst bundle, I`ve browsed it a little and looks like there are no new SATA drivers.

Our Forum member stoppardi found out, that the latest 32/64bit Win7Vista AMD AHCI drivers v1.2.1.359 WHQL, which I offered within the start post of this thread, do not support AMD SB7xx at all and are not usable with Vista.
According to his experiences the latest AMD SB7xx AHCI drivers for Win7 (32/64bit) are v1.2.1.349, whereas the latest AMD AHCI drivers for Vista are v1.2.1.337.
Thanks to stoppardi for his tests and for his support.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Win7 AMD AHCI drivers v1.2.1.349 WHQL dated 06/27/2013 (latest AMD Win7 AHCI driver with full SB7xx support)
  • new: 32/64bit Vista AMD AHCI drivers v1.2.1.337 WHQL dated 10/12/2012 (latest AMD AHCI drivers with full support of Vista 32/64bit))

Good luck with these AMD AHCI drivers!
Fernando

Last for Windows Vista 1.2.1.337 (NOT 1.2.1.377)
Thank You Fernando :wink:

Thanks for the info regarding the typo - my bad.
The version number has been corrected within my last post.

Fernando,

I think I figured this one out. Your driver pack 32bit Marvell 91xx-92xx AHCI & RAID drivers v1.2.0.1041 WHQL contains a txtsetup.oem file missing the line:

disk1 = "Marvell SATA Driver Diskette", \mvs91xx, </b>

Thanks.
Bunty.

@ Bunty:
Thanks for your contribution!

I am not sure about that.
Why do you think, that this line is missing?
Have you tried to install Windows XP onto a HDD/SSD, which has been connected to a Marvell SATA3 port running in AHCI or RAID mode? If yes, what happened?

Snippets from your CURRENT txtsetup.oem file within the compressed 32bit Marvell 91xx-92xx AHCI & RAID drivers v1.2.0.1041 WHQL driver pack:

[Disks]
disk0 = “Marvell SATA Driver Diskette”, \mvs91xx, <br />
[Files.SCSI.i386_s91xx]
inf = disk1, mvs91xx.inf
driver = disk1, mvs91xx.sys, mvs91xx
catalog = disk1, mvs91xx.cat
dll = disk1, mv91xxm.dll

I slipstreamed a master 32-bit XP-Pro SP3 DVD with all your recommended driver packs preferring your custom packs over standard. Although I do not have Marvell controllers, setup aborts reporting a missing mvs91xx.sys driver although I didn’t press the F6 key.

I also noticed you have declared disk1 correctly in the 32bit Marvell 61xx RAID drivers v1.2.0.8400 WHQL.7z pack txtsetup.oem so later references to drivers there do not cause an exception:

disk1 = “Marvell SATA Driver Diskette”, \mvs91xx, <br />
So all I did was append this line right after disk0 & testing it now, will upload results shortly.
Thanks.

Bunty.