Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Which are the components of your “old drive system”?
I doubt, that Win10 will not detect them.

@Fernando
Thank you for the fast response.
I think the SM951 supports both AHCI and NVMe > https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/…w-0615-v1-0.pdf
I can recall that when I started the Windows 7 installation without any other drives connected, the drive was not recognised by the Win7 installation.
Could it be that the NVMe driver was only used to allow the Windows installation to see the drive, and then the AHCI driver was used after the installation?
And would using NVMe be faster than AHCI?

EDIT:
I looked it up and indeed it is the MZHPV128HDGM-00000 model, which means it is only AHCI, you were 100% correct.
I’ll try a new install and come back with any results.

Thanks again.

@aian :
Thanks for your feedback and for your EDIT.

No, there is no SSD available, which supports 2 different protocols.
Reason: Each Disk Drive (SSD or HDD) can only be connected to 1 specific Controller and the Controller has a specific interface, which uses a certain protocol.
Fact is, that Samsung offers 2 different SM951 SSD models, one is managed by a SATA AHCI Controller (e.g. yours), the other one by an NVMe Controller.
If you would use the NVMe model of the Samsung SM951, you would find the related NVMe Controller within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager (and not within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section).

That’s very helpful, thank you very much for the explanation!
Is the generic Win7 in-box AHCI driver good enough, or do you recommend updating it with a different one after the installation is completed?
If you recommend updating, how can I tell what Intel Series Chipset system I have, so that I can choose the correct version of the drivers you mention in the OP?
Am I correct to say my motherboard is Intel 100 as it has the Intel® Z170 Chipset, therefore I can pick Intel RST(e) drivers v15.5.2.1054 (dated 04/24/2017) and Intel RST(e) drivers v15.7.6.1027 (dated 09/26/2017)?

This is 100% correct. You can easily check the Intel chipset details of an Intel Chipset system by looking into the HardwareIDs of the in-use Intel SATA AHCI Controller.

Hi,
Thanks for owning/ maintaing and sharing your work with us. Ended up here after buying a Toshiba XG5 OEM version for my Carbon X1 laptop (4th gen 6200u).
I have tried all possible drivers / settings (TRIMM/ windows caching,etc) but the results are very poor in comparison to all rave reviews of the drive (not mentioning Toshiba specs).
Really wonder how genuine those are while there are quite a few!?!?!
Anyway I will share my results maybe someone benefits from my experience before I give up/ sell it and go gack to Samsung - which I did not want - but the pm961 256GB is way better on any platform tested even with windows driver.

Test platform: Asus z170i Pro Gaming - latest BIOS, i3 6100, 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro uptodate.
The tests on Lenovo Carbon X1 4th Gen were a lot worse so I just tried the desktop thinking my lappie is broken or by default it is in RAID instead of AHCI - which is not.
I have tested it on with Microsoft Old Driver - stornvme, XG3 Driver, XG5 modded driver you shared.
If you still have any suggestions on how to get it properly working I am open to any. I have even installed a Ubuntu to try to bench it out and see how Linux deals with NVMEs but it’ll take a while until I get the results.

Thanks
*PS I still haven’t tried RAID and installing win RST drivers, but that circumvents the purpose of the drive because I can never get Intel RST installed on my laptop whatever I do …
OR Maybe my results are normal so I close the case and give up. Might as well buy a 1TB SSD at the same price, probably, I could never see the difference in real life scenarios. Just pissed for having a Ferrari on paper while using it as a Hyundai - no offense to the car owners.

as-ssd-bench xg5 NVM 24.03.2018 22-33-24_asus_z170i.png

as-ssd-bench xg5 NVM 24.03.2018 23-02-05_z170i.png

xg5_win_driver_asus_z170i_24032018_CDM.PNG

xg5_xg3_driver_asus_z170i_24032018_CDM.PNG

@taz002dev :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

For the usage of your Toshiba XG5 SSD I recommend to install the latest mod+signed OCZ NVMe driver. To get the best performance you should follow my advices given within the start post of >this< thread.
Generally you should consider, that no user will recognize a great performance boost while doing his daily work after having replaced a good SATA connected SSD using the AHCI protocol by any NVMe SSD.
On the other hand you will recognize a tremendous acceleration while reading or writing very big sized files (e.g. by executing tasks like Video Encoding).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Thank you for input. I will try all of that in another clean install. I might be doing just for the fun and repost… too bad for Toshiba not releasing good drivers because this NVME looks so promising on paper and very good for a laptop where power consumption is important.
this is why samsung is where it is and it might be worth buying their drives. They just support them and they work without too much fiddling.
Thanks again
taz

This one worked for me: 32bit AMD SBxxx AHCI compatible RAID driver v3.3.1540.33 mod

Controller hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_40

If you give me the HardwareIDs of the IDE Controller, I may be able to guess the HardwareIDs of the AHCI Controller.

And way back then it seems like I’ve either missed this, or forgot to click on submit after copying the IDE controller hardware ID. D’oh! :smiley:

@Fernando Hey there… I have an doubt about one of the SATA CONTROLLERS on my AORUS AX370-GAMING-K5… It seems that the chipset SATA Controller is DEV_43B5… I haven’t found a single AHCI driver that matches the HW ID… The second SATA CONTROLLER is DEV_7901… But I believe that controller is only for the 2 SATA EXPRESS ports… I have really, really shitty performance and 35+ sec boot with my Kingston Savage SSD & both of my HDD’s… Obviously my main concern is with the SSD… Any advice is very much appreciated!!! Thx on advance!!!

@_JSebastian :
I cannot find any hint while searching for “DEV_43B5” within the internet.
Please post the complete HardwareIDs of the related SATA Controller.

@Fernando
Here’s the complete HW ID…

20180401_084349.jpg

@_JSebastian :
According to my knowledge there are not yet AMD AHCI drivers available for your on-board AMD SATA AHCI Controller.
Until AMD will release a new AHCI driver for modern AMD Chipsets you may have to stick to the generic Win10 in-box AHCI driver made by Microsoft.

Hi,
I read that Samsung Magician is not compatible with the OEM Nvme drives such as the sm961. Is this accurate?

Thanks

That is correct, but not user-friendly.

At least the driver works. Thanks.

Fernando,

My PC has Win 7 x64 Pro OS, instaled on : MyDigitalSSD 240GB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4
(PCIe Gen3 x4) NVMe SSD - MDNVME80-BPX-0256 {PHISON E7 Controller}.

SSD is intalled on PCIe adapter. Motherboarsd is Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
I am planing to add a 1Tb SATA SSD soon.

Wich NVMA & ANCHI drivers do you recomend for it?

BPX SSD.jpg

If you should mean NVMe (instead of NVMA), you will have to use the generic MS NVMe driver, which has to be integrated into the Win7 image by using the related Hotfix.
Regarding the “ANCHI” driver (you certainly mean AHCI), you can either use the Win7 in-box MS AHCI driver or any compatible Intel AHCI driver (my favorite: Intel RST(e) v13.2.8.1002 WHQL).

Thank you Fernando.