Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

I just registered here to thank @Fernando for this driver: >“pure” 64bit OCZ NVMe driver v1.2.126.843 mod+signed by me (at 01/18/2018)< (>MIRROR<)
for my Toshiba XG5.

I’m new to M.2 SSD’s and cannot really categorize all these read and write tests.
The vendor showed me a result from AIDA64 Disk benchmark, Random Read max. 1.379 MB/s.
I just tried the same test on my Notebook, it’s a Lenovo Ideapad 320S-14iKB and with the standard windows driver I got “just” max. of 750 MB/s.
After using your driver I got 850 MB/s which is great! But I wonder why the vendor got such a good result…

In my test I can also see the CPU load and it is a 100%. The processor is some rather weak Intel Pentium Gold 4415U. Am I right that the slower read speed is because of the cpu/device in general?
I never before experienced that a storage medium is “too overpowered” for a computer system :smiley:
To be fair I have to say that originally they used a Sata SSD for the device but since it also has a M.2 PCIe Slot and the Sata SSD storage is just 128GB I added the M.2 SSD.

It’s not about “crunching numbers” for me, just wanted to make sure I get the best possible performance.

OT: Btw, I bought my Toshiba XG5 512GB for 119,- Euro. What do you guys think, is this a reasonable price or did I pay too much? Since it’s an OEM product, it’s hard to compare prices.

@trohn_javolta :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report. It is fine, that you are satisfied with the offered mod+signed OCZ NVMe driver.

(Contrary to Desktop PCs) Mobile systems are natively optimized for a low power consumption and not for a high performance. Nevertheless you can boost the performance of your NVMe SSD even with a notebook, if you follow my advices, which I have layed down within the start post of >this< thread.

Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thx if low power consumtion equals better battery times that’s fine as it is for me.
But I’ll definetly obey these tipps for the Sata SSD in my desktop pc. It needs a fresh start anyways but this part doesn’t make my happy:

I do not recommend to transfer/clone an already previously existing system partion.

I don’t wann redo all settings etc. on my windows install, so I plan on cloning it. Any other ideas to back up all settings, data and programs in Win10? To date I’m unaware of any backup software that handles this well enough.

@trohn_javolta :
Which personal settings do you mean and how important are they?
Since I have several desktop and mobile systems, I do a clean OS installation very often. The big majority of my personal settings are automaticly restored by Microsoft after having entered my MS account data. The maximum time I need for a fresh OS install and the required optimization is 1 hour, but thereafter I have the best possible system without any garbage residues from the previous OS usage.

Personal files, programs, all their settings, all windows settings like resolution settings, no pw on login, no uac notifications, etc…
I’d be like copy all the files and folders from everywhere and later put them back where they were and all the made settings. Much stuff that isn’t that trivial and stuff I surely don’t remember how it was set up in the first place.

Does anyone know which driver to use for PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43B7 ?

It is present along with DEV_7901.

Thanks

The related device is the “AMD 300-Series Chipset SATA Controller” (look >here<)
I think, that no third party driver (here: from AMD) is required - the MS in-box IDE driver will manage it.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Does it have something to do with IOMMU passthrough? OR do you think that some of the physical ports on the board are associated with 7901 and some with 43B7 (in which case, how can I check?)

@mockingbird :
Since I don’t have an AMD 300-Series Chipset system, I cannot answer your questions.
You may be able to find it out yourself by looking into the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manger and to check the HardwareIDs of the listed Controllers (right-click onto it >“Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).
Additionally you may have to check the SATA mode settings (IDE/AHCI/RAID) of the AMD SATA Controller within the BIOS.

Ok, I checked. There’s nothing obvious that stands out. I also tried disabling IOMMU in the BIOS and the device remains…

I think it has something to do with VT-d.

I’ve downloaded official chipset and storage packages from Gigabyte and Asus for the B350, but can’t find any driver there for the hardware ID.

If anyone knows anything else, feel free to comment.

@Fernando May I ask the reason for offering the mod+signed version of Samsung NVMe drivers?
I mean even with PM981 SSDs you can install the original "pure" driver. It appears signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

@elisw :
According to the associated INF files only the NVMe Controllers of the Samsung “UBX Series” (DEV_A802) and “Polaris Series” (DEV_A804) are natively supported by the original Samsung NVMe drivers, but not the NVMe Controllers of the Samsung PM981 (DEV_A808).
Nevertheless it will be possible to get the original driver installed onto the NVMe Controller of the PM981, if the user forces the installation by using the “Have Disk” button and pointing to one of the other 2 (not present) NVMe Controllers.

Intel RST 14.x driver supports 7 Series officially. Does this mean 14.x orom should be fine/supported?

None of Intel’s RST v14 platform drivers natively do support Intel 7-Series chipset systems. The related RAID drivers are installable (due to the universal external DeviceID), but not 100% supported (due to the internal DeviceID, which is within the code of the drivers and the RAID ROM modules).
What is the basis for your statement? Who decides, what is “official”?

Since the Intel RAID driver and the RAID module should “match”, that means belong to the same development branch, I do not recommend to use any v14 platform Intel RAID ROM module for Intel 7-Series Chipset RAID systems.

By official I mean on Intel website to download.
The 14.8.16.1063 readme.txt (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa…r?product=55005) states:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release is designed to provide 
functionality for the following Storage Controllers:
- Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
- Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

An update:

I found “Last Known Parent” in the hardware details… Unfortunately, the HDD is showing 43B7 as its parent.

So some of the physical SATA ports appeared to be attached to 43B7. I am going to be trying out other ports to see which ones are 7901, as I’s much rather prefer AMD’s SATA drivers over MS’ generic ones.

Fernando: If you would kindly add 43B7 to the pure AHCI drivers and add it to your custom .cat, I’d be glad to test it our for you.

EDIT:Yes. Changing the HDD to the font facing port changes the Parent to 7901. It’s a little inconvenient because of physical space constraints, but doable.

@thetruthisalie :
Not Intel, the manufacturer of the related drivers and BIOS modules, but the manufacturer of your mainboard/PC is responsable and has to “officially” offer the best/latest drivers and OROM modules for your system.

@mockingbird :
I generally do not modify any driver upon request.
If there should be more users, who are interested in a specific mod+signed AMD AHCI or RAID driver, I am waiting for their request.
Anyway nobody can expect a new mod+signed driver from my side within the next days (no time, no equipment).

Hi I have a question I want to integrate the drivers nvme in iso Windows 7 and I wanted to know if it would cause a conflict if I integrate them all. ?

Thanks.

Fernando, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I can’t seem to find Intel RST(e) drivers v15.7.6.1027 (dated 09/26/2017) in this page.
Have these drivers been updated to a new version?
There are so many that I find it hard to choose the correct one.

Also, the official Asus page here shows the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver v15.2.1.1028.
Am I right to assume they have simply not updated their page, or should I avoid using a different version to the one they recommend?