Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Hi Fernando. Thank you for your help. I just tried to start the installation with a new build where I integrated this new fix. I do not know, maybe I did something wrong, but as soon as I start the installation I always have the message asking me to select a driver.

There was a difference now, however, because from the driver selection windows I can see the NVMe drive that was not there before.

For some reason, however, I can not proceed with the installation. Is this a problem related to the dual boot? I remember reading it somewhere in the forum

20180709_101504_.jpg

I suspect, that you booted off an USB Flash Drive, which is connected to an USB 3.0/3.1 port. Win7 natively doesn’t support USB 3.0/3.1 Controllers.
If I should be right, you can solve this problem by either attaching the USB Flash Drive to an USB 2.0 port (if available) or by integrating/loading the matching USB 3.0/3.1 driver.

I suspect the same, a problem with the USB, because the NVMe drive seems now readable, but I’m using the USB 2.0 port since it is a well known problem to install Windows 7 with 3.0.

Bios settings CSM enabled, secure boot disabled. I’m now adding the USB 3.0 drivers to see if something change, I hope it’s the correct one. (Intel eXtensible 5.0.4.43 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa…-Chipset-Family).

Edit: success! the USB driver worked, and it was also necessary for the USB port to be 2.0

Thanks Fernando, your help has been greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi Fernando,
have a look at
http://reboot.pro/topic/21812-community-…er-2003-r2-sp2/
this is fun pur,
have a nice day
Dietmar

Don’t understand why anyone is running Win Xp these days with or without nvme functionality. Makes no sense.

@davidm71 ,
Thanks for your help regarding on how to create a WinToGo W10 stick. I share with you and the forum members the informations I get from RUFUS and that helped me to create with sucess a W10 RS4 WinToGo stick (Sandisk USB 3.0 Extreme 64GB).
In fact RUFUS v3.1.1320 Tool does need a proper W10 ISO file image format to offer the option of create a WinToGo USB. Due to an inappropriate structure of a W10 ISO file image created via “MS Media Creation” Tool you should find ‘somewhere’ a correct W10 ISO file.
Unfortunately, Microsoft hides the direct download links to the retail ISOs for visitors that are already using Windows 10. (it was my case).
My preferred and easy workaround to get the proper ISO is to use the “Windows ISO Downloader” Tool: https://pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-iso-without-media-creation-tool/
You have to select the proper W10 version you want, download it, and then RUFUS tool will be able to recognize this proper ISO file image format and so the ‘WinToGo’ creation option will be offered.

@diderius6 :
Thanks for the interesting link to the latest OFA NVMe drivers v1.5.1200.0.
As soon as I have the required time I wil test them.

@100PIER ,

Try this site out for Windows ISOs:

https://www.itechtics.com/windows-10-180…s_All_languages

In any case glad you got it working. Its an invaluable tool to have in your toolbox. Just note if you want to access your other system drives your going to have to change the SANS POLICY in Diskpart. Then you can benchmark whatever.

In my case I was able to use the Win2go stick to troubleshoot driver hardware corruption issues last night. Will post about it in another thread.

Thanks

Hello

I have a new Dell Precision 5520 with a Toshiba KXG50ZNV512G that is incredibly slow.
I read upgrading the firmware to AADA4105 was going to improve it, it didn’t. This was after upgrading to AADA4104.

I installed Intel Rapid 15.7.5.1025, no improvements.
Now I am trying to install
64bit OCZ NVMe driver v1.2.126.843 mod+signed by Fernandoz
Storage controllers - Intel … RST Premium…
Update driver … have disk… ocznvem.inf… XG5-Dev_0116
encountered error…problem while attempting to add the driver to the store

any suggestions?
thanks

@diderius6 :
Meanwhile I have tested the performance of the brandnew OFA NVMe driver v1.5.1200.0 dated 07/13/2018 while running Win10 x64 v1803 on my 250 GB Samsung 970 EVO and compared its benchmark scores with other NVMe drivers.
As you can see >here<, the results were very surprising!

@gummyd :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Please post the HardwareIDs of all Controllers, which are listed within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager (right-click onto the Controller > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > HardwareIDs").
Thanks in advance!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

There are 2

Storage Controllers
Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_07BF1028&REV_31
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_07BF1028
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Root\Spaceport

will add the Disk too (I could not find DeviceID DEV_0116 in the property fields, but seemed close enough to try)

SCSI\DiskNVMe____KXG50ZNV512G_NVM4105
SCSI\DiskNVMe____KXG50ZNV512G_NVM
SCSI\DiskNVMe

SCSI\NVMe____KXG50ZNV512G_NVM4
NVMe____KXG50ZNV512G_NVM4
GenDisk

MFG link

@Fernando
A test done with OFA driver does dive less ANVIL score [14684] than with Samsung driver [15418].
I do observe to use the F7 touch to bypass driver signature checking. Can we do another way ?

ANVIL_ATTO_970PRO_OFA_NVMe_15juillet18.PNG.jpg

@gummyd :
According to the posted HardwareIDs your OCZ/Toshiba NVMe SSD is connected to an Intel RST Controller, which is running in RAID mode. None of the OCZ/Toshiba NVMe drivers support an Intel RAID Controller. That is why you got the error messages.

I am wondering, why you installed the (wrong) Intel RST driver at all and how you did it.
Please check, which other devices driver are compatible with the listed “Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller” by doing a right-click onto it and choosing the options “Update driver” > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…”. Make sure, that the box for “Show compatible hardware” is checked.

Our mainboard chipset and our NVMe SSD are different. This may explain our different results.

@Fernando

Update driver" > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…”. Make sure, “Show compatible hardware” is checked
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller
Intel Chipset SATA/PCI RST Premium Controller
Intel Desktop/Worstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Note, I did not install windows on this laptop

I downloaded files from Dell that matched my service tag
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/…5z0x0n2/drivers

Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-and-Management_66MG5_WIN_15.7.5.1025_A03.EXE
## maybe this changed it to RAID?? I am not sure it was installed before, so maybe it was installed and not upgraded
RAID vs AHCI on dell is discussed below

and disk drive model
Toshiba XG5_nonSED_ KXG50ZNV256G_512G_1T02_C0PF8_ZPE
Toshiba XG5 Non-SED 81F76_ZPE.exe

I had to search on drive name to find the firmware, at least the first ADA4104, then I saw a post mention ADA4105, so I searched ADA4105 on Dell.com and found it.

I saw this post https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5…ng_performance/

My Dell arrived with IRST drivers installed and the controller in RAID mode. This is fairly normal - in fact this is often the fastest configuration on Windows. On my unit, this caused slow performance with the Toshiba drive. Interestingly, for similar cases found on the internet, updating the IRST driver fixed the very same issue for some (but not all) other drives. The version of IRST cited is however older than the one available for the XPS15, and neither reinstalling nor downgrading solved anything for me…

seems to match up, but haven’t tried it yet, but would use your drivers

First we need to switch the controller from RAID to AHCI mode. We need Windows to boot into safe mode after doing this switch, so it’ll automagically correct its boot parameters.
To force safe mode, right-click on Windows start menu icon → Command Prompt (Admin):
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
Restart and enter BIOS (Hold F2 during boot):
System Configuration → SATA Operation → AHCI
Apply
Exit
To get back to normal mode, after Windows boots in safe mode, login, and Command Prompt (Admin):
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
Reboot the laptop and login. The controller is now in AHCI mode, running Microsoft’s generic driver. Now we update that to the OCZ RD400 driver.
Download and extract driver zip:
Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers
To force using the driver, right-click on Windows start menu icon → Device Manager
Storage Controllers → Standard NVM Express Controller
Right-click → Update driver software…
“Browse my computer for driver software”
“Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
“Have Disk…”
(extracted driver zip folder)\x64\ocznvme.inf
Select appropriate driver
Next
Click Yes on warning dialog
Allow computer to restart

The chipsets of our mainboards and our NVMe SSDs are different. This may explain the different results.

@Fernando ,
Thanks

Is it normal to refer v1.2 for v1.5 OFA ?

Is it normal the Strategies Policies is not as usual ?

ANVIL_970PRO_OFA_15_NVMe_15juillet18.PNG.jpg

Yes and yes!
“NVMe 1.2 Storport” means, that the listed NVMe Controller supports the currently latest NVMe protocol standard 1.2. These numbers have nothing to do with the driver version.

@Fernando

maybe my laptop came as configured for RAID (as mentioned in the Reddit post above) but I can’t confirm.

Would that explain why may laptop is so sluggish to boot up, it is/was a ~$1,500 laptop. I have a $500 laptop, which I replaced the disk drive with an old SSD - OCZ Vertex 3?, and it boots up and shut down very quick.

I am not doing speed test, just want normal boot and shutdown for a laptop with a solid state drive, this one is slower than ones with a spinning drive.

I have better than average computer skills compare to the average user, but no expert (I am a network engineer, so a little technical) so RAID, AHCI… are not my strong areas.

Update:

I tried to change it to AHCI, but I got a message that the bitlocker key would be needed, this is a work laptop, I am an admin on it but do not have the key (probably could get it), guess I will just live with the slowness.

I did install your driver on my wife’s laptop, a less than 2 year old Dell Latitude 7370. It was the first pc I used with a NVMe drive, still not as fast as the $500 laptop with the old non-NVMe SSD, but a lot faster than my work 5520 laptop (brand new, but Dell now has the 5530 as the newer model.)

@gummyd :
Under these conditions you will not be able to install any other driver than an Intel RST one.