Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@Fernando . There is no other site like this one. And you are one of a kind sharing your hard work.

Thank you for sharing with us your drivers.

Can you recommend me a driver, please? What is the best NVMe Controller Driver? I get increased error s.m.a.r.t values on the latest win10 builds.

Really thankful that Lost N Bios did a bios mod for me. :slight_smile:
System Asrock x79 Extreme 4 and latest Windows 10 build.
MP600 Corsair. NVMe
NVMe is new bought two recently. One MP600 and one MP510

Because on the latest Windows 10 build 10.0.18362 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update) the Error log in the Smart Options “Number of Error Information Log Errors” increases everytime i restart the pc. and only when I force to restart it. (Taskbar > Restart).

Then I noticed when switched back to Windows 10 build number 10.0.17134 aka Redstone 4 the “Number of Error Information Log Errors” does not increase anymore.
Also tried Windows 8.1 and the count does not increase as well.

I can pinpoint it to Win10 build Version 1903 (May 2019 Update) and Version 1809 (October 2018 Update).

(I also observed that on the windows version which do work and the count does not increase every time I reboot. The application HD Sentinel was unable showing driver information. on both win10 and win8.1
On the Windows version where the count increased there is driver information hd sentinel was able to display. By that I mean the status of the SSD was known. Maybe just a coincidence )

I was even thinking about copying the stornvme.sys driver from version 10.0.17134 to the latest win10 build Version 1903 (May 2019 Update) which is producing me strange “Number of Error Information Log Errors” everytime I reboot.
But in these case I would have to sign it.

What your take? Should I try it or could you please recommend me a driver. I am willing to test and report back.

Because seeing the “Number of Error Information Log Errors” Count increase everytime I reboot makes me depressed. Not knowing the reason why.
I get these error on both ssds and only on these two windows versions Win10 build Version 1903 (May 2019 Update) and Version 1809 (October 2018 Update).
I also noticed slower performance (longer loading times) in games there.

Untitled.jpg

2.jpg

dev.jpg

stornvme.jpg

@StormRaider :
Since your request about the alternatives to the MS Win10 in-box NVMe driver has nothing to do with the topic “Modded Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers”, I have moved your post into this better matching thread.
To be honest, I don’t think, that your problems are caused by the generic MS NVMe driver.
Since the Company Corsair doesn’t offer any own driver for the NVMe Controllers, which are within their NVMe SSDs, there are only a very few NVMe driver alternatives for you:
1. any OpenFabrics Alliance (OFA) NVMe drivers (recommended: v1.5.0.0 mod+signed by me)
2. any original v16 platform Intel RST driver (the installation has to be forced!)
For further details please look into the 2 start posts of this thread.
Don’t forget to set a “Restore Point”, before you try to install any other NVMe driver than the generic in-box one.

Hello Fernando,

you are correct, i tried importing the 17134 driver onto the win 1903 OS. Well it does boot successful but has the same behavior.

I am also speculating that it is not NVMe Driver related but could be any other system32/driver interfering. Because Like I said it does not happen in the previous windows versions. How can one explain that?.

I briefly tried the OpenFabrics Alliance Driver they do not work. Windows doesn’t boot. the .sys filenames are also different and do not match with standard microsoft nvme driver.

The mod+signed OFA NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 is working fine, if you install it correctly:
1. Import the Win-RAID CA Certificate and reboot thereafter.
2. Expand the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager.
3. Right-click onto the listed "Standard NVM Express Controller" and choose the options "Browse my Computer…".
4. Navigate to the folder with the mod+signed OFA driver.
5. Click onto "Next".
The installation will start and complete automaticly.

Dear Fernando,
I am having an issue installing the "64bit OFA NVMe Driver v1.5.0.0 for Win7 x64 mod+signed by Fernando.rar" in Windows 2008R2 sp1.
I have repeated a few times and verified the Win-RAID CA exists using Certmge.msc before installing.

Following the guide I installed the Win-RAID CA Certificate and rebooted.
Checked the Cert.

CertCheck.jpg

Then installed your signed OFA NVMe Driver, however I get an error 52 - "cannot verify the digital signature".

Error.JPG

What could I be missing???

Thank you Fernando for explaining once more. Didn’t event went to bed. Because if the m2 is faulty I can still send it back and get.my money back.
It was really pricey
I did all these steps before. Got the matching 64bit drivers
After the reboot i see the Windows Logo but then abruptly that loading circle stops/freezes.
Could you please link me to the v16 driver. I did try the x79 Enterprise drivers without success
I disabled driver enforcement via gpedit and cmd this i can rule out

@cstang67 if you dont care you ciould try disabling it altogether.
(Windows is telling that it doesnt see the cert, i guess)
https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-…signed-drivers/
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For…um=winservergen

StormRaider,
Thanks for the tip…
I was able to install the drivers, however after reboot it starts up in recovery mode…
So I guess the OFA drivers do not work with 2008R2…
The Microsoft NVMe driver Hotfixes for Win7/Server 2008 R2 on Page #2 does work with my new MVMe PCIe adapter.
After reading the NVMe performance thread I was going to test the OFA drivers…

Thanks again

StormRaider,
I can confirm that I also see “Number of Error Information Log Errors” increase on every boot also.
I believe they increase with the Microsoft Hotfix drivers and for sure using the Intel drivers I just installed from page #1. I learned from one of the threads that the intel drivers work for all SSD’s so I edited the .inf file and added the PCI/VEN code for my Sabrent 256gb ssd. Installed fine…

DiskInfo - Intel Driver on Rivo Adapter with Sabrent Rocket 256GB.jpg

@cstang67 Thank you very much for letting me know.
You also get these? So, this is indeed strange. I can assure you this increased count does not happen on Win8.1 latest Final build and Windows 10 build number 10.0.17134 aka Redstone 4.
And where these happens I observed I got lower loading times performance in games (e.x Just Cause 4)
@cstang67 a thought comes to mind.
“however after reboot it starts up in recovery mode.” somehow your windows is refusing too boot in test mode even with driver enforcement disabled.

I am pretty sure it is OS dependent. And it is indeed not the nvme driver at fault like Fernando wrote. it is some different .sys driver interfering. (found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers)
If I find a workaround for Windows Server 2008R2 I will let you know. I used to use this OS back in the day.
I am also on a PCI-E Adapter card because my x79 motherboard Asrock extreme 4 does not support it out of the box.
I tried different nvme card like the asus hyper m2 but I got the same results.
Wondering what Fernando’s reply will be.

//I was not able to install the OFA NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 I will give it another try.
Fernando are you sure it doesn’t matter that the original file is called stornvme.sys the filepackage of OFA NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 does not contain a file called stornvme.sys

INCRERASING.jpg

id.jpg

Keeps increasing like Hell? Can this value be ignored at all? or is a function having trouble executing? Like SSD TRIM?

//Fingers crossed:

11.jpg

2.jpg

restarting now.

//edit no luck keeps freezing the loading circle just freezes. It stops.

Screenshot_20191007-212141.jpg

Restoring now.

Any Idea what to try next?

@cstang67 :
It is possible, that the mod+signed OFA drivers do not properly work with Windows Server 2008.

@StormRaider :
I suspect as well, that it is a specific Win10 Update bug, which causes the errors within the Event Manager.

You can find them >here<. I recommend to use the v16.8.3.1003 WHQL driver.

@cstang67 :
There is no need to modify the INF file of the Intel RST driver. By the way - the only entry, which doesn’t match is the VendorID of Intel (=VEN_8086).
You can get the original driver installed by using the "Have Disk" option, pointing to the iaStorAC.inf file and ignoring the warning.

@StormRaider :

It doesn’t matter, because the OFA NVMe drivers are different from the MS NVMe drivers.
The original MS Win10 in-box NVMe drivers are named stornvme.sys, the original OFA NVMe drivers are named nvme.sys and mod+signed OFA drivers are named ofnvme.sys.

I browsed thru the event manager

these errors where mostly logged.

we are onto something here:

7.jpg

under Kernel-PnP: it goes

"The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe with process id 8808 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_1987&DEV_5016&SUBSYS_50161987&REV_01\4&32f9d75b&0&0018.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\7-Zip\7zFM.exe with process id 9924 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_1987&DEV_5016&SUBSYS_50161987&REV_01\4&32f9d75b&0&0018.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11909.1002.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe with process id 9328 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_1987&DEV_5016&SUBSYS_50161987&REV_01\4&32f9d75b&0&0018.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe with process id 8252 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_1987&DEV_5016&SUBSYS_50161987&REV_01\4&32f9d75b&0&0018.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe with process id 6864 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_1987&DEV_5016&SUBSYS_50161987&REV_01\4&32f9d75b&0&0018."

and so on with different file paths pointing to different applications.

The Cause is: device PCI\VEN_1987&DEV_5016&SUBSYS_50161987&REV_01\4&32f9d75b&0&0018 which is the NVMe Controller.

I compared this and could not find anything similar in the event manager on the other OS’s Windows 10 build number 10.0.17134 aka Redstone 4 and Win8.1 Final that do not increase the count “Number of Error Information Log Errors” after every reboot. I suspect Kernel-PNP bug

@StormRaider :
The messages of the Event Manager are very often misleading.
I cannot even remember, that I ever had a Win10 system without any error messages within the Event Manager. Nevertheless everything worked for me as it should.

@Fernando is your m2 SSD connected to a Pci-E Addon card as well?

do not work.jpg

installer refused to install

Tried this driver v16.8.3.1003 WHQL driver manuallt installed and updared to intel nvme the error count increased in 2 increments where it only counted once before.

The speedtest gave worse results in the q32t1 4k. 760mb vs 1776Gb

I am running out of ideas. So I give up

@StormRaider :
My advice: Wait for the next Windows 10 version. Maybe all your problems are blown away then.

Yes.

Who said, that you shall run the installer of a complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set?

Hi all,

Wrt
"All v16 platform Intel RST drivers do contain a generic NVMe driver!
These Intel RST drivers are compatible with all NVMe SSDs. The installation has to be forced by using the “Have Disk” button and choosing the INF file named iaStorAC.inf. The SATA mode doesn’t matter.“

Has anyone managed to install these Intel NVME v16 drivers for non-Intel drives in Win8.1 x64 on x79 chipset?

I tried, but getting an error (” The software was tested for compliance with Windows Logo requirements on a different version of Windows, and may not be compatible with this version").

@Alex_BY :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The Intel RST v16 platform NVMe drivers are installable for all available NVMe Controllers instead of the generic MS NVMe driver, but they were designed by Intel primarily for the usage with Intel RAID arrays consisting of Intel NVMe SSDs.
Non-Intel NVMe SSDs are only supported, if the installation
1. has been done manually (the installation by using an installer will fail) and
2. has been forced by using the " Have Disk" option and pointing to the file named iaStorAC.inf.
Simple reason: Only NVMe Controllers with the VendorID VEN_8086 (= Intel) are fully supported.
By the way: According to my own benchmark comparison tests Intel’s RST v16 platform NVMe drivers are much less performant than the in-box MS NVMe driver.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I am also having a problem with the The mod+signed OFA NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 I show the certificate installed in certmgr.msc in both locations. I am on Win7 x64 Ultimate. When I update the driver, it installs it but then pops a warning about a program has installed an unsigned driver. I downloaded the other package (supposedly unsigned) and I notice that the ofnvme.sys and the original nvme.sys files are apparently identical except for the file name. (crc/hash/size) (64bit win7 version) when I look at the sys files they both say signed by ‘WDKTest Cert…’ I am not familiar with certificates and enforcement and I do not know if it is or is not supposed to be that way. I have rebooted several times (it always hangs trying to load ofnvme.sys and i must use advanced boot option to disable driver signature enforcement) I have tried rerunning the install routine. I even rolled back the driver but the ofnvme is still trying to load so I will be doing a system restore again. Is it possible that the wrong file is in the distribution package?
I am trying to use this with an HP ex920 1TB M.2 on Pcie converter card on (asus P8z77-V LE lga 1155 intel z77 with i7 3770k)
When I circumvent the driver signing on boot, the driver does work and seems to be faster than the standard MS driver. I would just like to understand why it keeps telling me it is not signed.

driversign.JPG

Hi Fernando, and thank you for the prompt response.

Yes, the installation was done via "have disk" and iaStorAC.inf. I tried different versions of v16 family, also, downloaded from different locations.
Same error.

So, I am wondering if anyone was successful installing those on Win8.1 and x79 chipset.

1. v16 officially supports from 100-series chipset, right? Will it work on x79, i.e. could the chipset be a problem? Or, Win8.1?
2. Also, why are these v16 drivers not digitally signed? I tried downloaded from win-raid, other places, and even from Intel site.

P.S.:
I am not looking for a performance. Win8.1 MS NVME driver is limited in functionality - e.g., SMART is not supported. I have WD NVME drive, so no manufacturer driver for me, have to use MS. As a result, no temperature reading, written GBs, etc. The drive is not even detected by e.g. CrystalDiskInfo. But, CrystalDiskMark performance is alright.

@Alex_BY :
Why don’t you use Win10 as OS?
Have you already tried the mod+signed OFA NVMe driver v1.5.0.0?

1. Win8.1 is the last MS OS, using which you can be kinda an owner. Win10 - MS is doing whatever it likes on your PC without your consent. Hence, no plans to upgrade to Win10.
    2. Earlier - yes, I installed OFA, but the system hanged.
    Now - not.

Meanwhile, I managed to install the drivers.

Short guide:
    You are not happy with the default MS Win8.1 NVME driver. And, you are trying to install Intel v16+ NVME driver.
    But, you are getting this type of error on Win8.1:

Then,

1. Reboot with Drivers signing OFF (shift+reboot and option 7 if I am not mistaken).
2. Install Intel NVME driver via "Have disk"-option. Both v16 and v17 families are fine on Win8.1 and x79 chipset (just download the floppy drivers from MS site, unpack and ignore the warnings).
3. Reboot.
4. Profit - the Intel NVME driver is up and running.

What you get:
- Your drive can be detected by various software (CyrstalDiskInfo, HWInfo, etc.).
- SMART readings (temperature, host written, etc.). In my case, even WD SSD Dashboard was working fine.

What you will lose:
- There is a performance penalty comparing to stock Win8.1 MS driver.

WD SN750 2TB with Win8.1 MS driver and AMI firmware:
Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3405.709 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2964.566 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1298.506 MB/s [ 317018.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1382.412 MB/s [ 337502.9 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 459.743 MB/s [ 112241.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 377.387 MB/s [ 92135.5 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 36.126 MB/s [ 8819.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 204.507 MB/s [ 49928.5 IOPS]
Test : 1024 MiB

WD SN750 2TB with Win8.1 Intel v17 driver and AMI firmware:
Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3454.453 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2969.636 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1243.591 MB/s [ 303611.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1175.028 MB/s [ 286872.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 376.000 MB/s [ 91796.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 301.068 MB/s [ 73502.9 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 37.189 MB/s [ 9079.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 180.390 MB/s [ 44040.5 IOPS]
Test : 1024 MiB

EDIT by Fernando: Put the benchmark results into a "spoiler" (to save space)