Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

@asdf23451 :
Why don’t you install Vista without loading any AHCI driver?
The in-box MS AHCI driver should detect the target HDD/SSD.
Once the OS is up, you can update the AHCI driver.

@Fernando :
That’s what I’ve like 5+ times before
I don’t think the AHCI driver is at fault, because things break with the AMD driver too
Could you take a look at the minidumps I’ve posted on MSFN?

@asdf23451 :
Instead of testing different AHCI drivers you should check the integrity of your BIOS and some hardware components (system disk drive, memory, CPU etc.).
If you suspect a BIOS issue and are not satisfied with the support of the MSFN Forum, I recommend to start a new thread within the "BIOS Modding" section of this Forum and to attach a dump of your currently in-use BIOS Region or the complete SPI.

I expected a new BIOS to be the issue, so I’ve downgraded to quite a old BIOS, and I doubt the memory and CPU are at fault, because 7 is perfectly stable. I’ve used 7 on it for a while, and am typing to you from 7.
I don’t know what a BIOS Region or SPI are, so if I do make a post there, I’d link the BIOS page on MSI’s website, which has quite the list of BIOS’s, but not all of them I could downgrade too, because AGESA hates downgrading past a certain point.
I’ll look for a different forum here, as I doubt it’s BIOS anyways, but if I can’t find a solution, I’ll post there

Edit: I found a possible fix, but it’ll take me a while to try it out. If it doesn’t work, I’ll post in the Vista forum here

@Fernando :

How did you manage to extract the files from “Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe” ? Even when I use WiX Toolset, I still cannot completely extract all files - some of them still remain encrypted! For example, trying to extract the embedded file “SamsungInstaller64.msi” yields 2 folders and one of those folders appears to contain the driver (.inf, .cat, .sys) files - however, they are all cryptically named “InfDriverWin7” or “CatDriverWin7”, “SysDriverWin7” etc. Obviously, they’re still encrypted and further iterating (applying WiX on these subfolders/files) with WiX did not yield anymore decrypted files - like a dead end!

I don’t want to have these files from you, I want to know HOW you could extract all files - so, I can do it myself in the future…

And by the way: I asked this on another topic, but did not get any responses for it, so I’m asking it here again: Is it possible to run a driver installer executable for an offline Windows (Win7, in my case) from a different online Windows session (Win10 in my case - I still can boot into Win10, unlike Win7) ?

Thanks for help,

AZ

The first I tried works just fine UniExtract2, you were just using the wrong tool…

@AbsoluteZero :
Right now I don’t remember how I got the “pure” Samsung NVMe drivers extracted from the Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe. It is even possible, that I didn’t extract them myself.
Usually I execute the Installer Set and look into the Windows\Temp and into my personal AppData\Local\Temp folders.
Regarding the other question I have no idea. I never tried it.

I already tried UniExtract (but I don’t know, if it is version "2" or "1" - but I can check it out, it’s still installed) and I only could get it so far to spit out "cab1.cab" - but the files inside cab1.cab, even when extracted (with the MS "expand" command), are still encrypted/cryptically named (InfDriverWin7, etc.). How did you get it to work?
These files should be named "secnvme.inf", "secnvme.cat", "secnvme.sys" and "secnvmeF.sys" - that’s their proper designation.
AZ

@AbsoluteZero :
1. Download the latest version RC2 of UniExtract by following MDM’s link and unzip the archive.
2. Run the file named “UniExtract.exe” and let it extract the fiile named “Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3.exe”.
3. Re-run the UniExtract.exe file and let it extract the appropriate *.msi file, which is located within the “AttachedContainer” folder.
4. Now you will get the requested *.INF, *.SYS and *.CAT files. They are within the “Samsung\Driver\9xx_Win7_64”, if you are running Win7 x64.

@Fernando :
Thanks, that did do the trick! Apparently version 2 RC is more capable than version 1.6…
Unfortunately, getting the raw driver files didn’t help me any further - when I try to inject them during Windows 7 Setup (“Load Driver”), it always ends with a failure message…
Can you answer my question in the other topic (“Which NVMe Drivers are the best (performance related) ?”), too?
AZ

Which message did you get?
Why didn’t you integrate the MS NVMe Hotfixes into the boot.wim and install.wim of your Win7 Image? This way it would be very easy to replace the generic MS NVMe driver after having completed the OS installation by the better Samsung one.

I don’t recall it anymore, but it was a long text - I can check it out again, if it makes a difference/is somehow helpful for my problem. Is it possible to take screenshots during Windows Setup? Then I could post that here…

I don’t exactly know why - but probably, because the Samsung driver was already integrated, so no additional NVMe drivers were necessary. The most probable reason was, that I wanted to have the option/choice to NOT install the MS stuff at all (after having installed Win7) - which is of course impossible, when they were already integrated/installed in the W7 image before the actual Windows installation…

AZ

Hello!
I bought a cheap SSD: xraydisk 120GB from alliexpress but I can’t find a driver for win 7. I integrated drivers for samsung, intel, marvel, but it still doesn’t detect it. 120GB and 128GB have different controllers. The first of may is with Phison. Which driver to integrate, please help!

@songoku :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
To be able to answer your question I need the HardwareIDs of the related "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" resp. "Storage Controller".
Run the Device Manager of any Windows OS, expand the above mentioned sections, right-click onto the listed Controller and choose the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

SCSI\Disk__________XrayDisk_120GB1905
SCSI\Disk__________XrayDisk_120GB
SCSI\Disk________
SCSI\__________XrayDisk_120GB1
__________XrayDisk_120GB1
GenDisk

SCSI\DISK&VEN_&PROD_XRAYDISK_120GB\4&A134E8&0&000000

Driver Name: disk.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: disk_install.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0005
Matching Device Id: GenDisk
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_064B1025&REV_04\3&11583659&0&FA

EDIT by Fernando: Not relevant details about the XrayDisk put into a "spoiler" (to save space)

@songoku :
Thanks for the hardware details. By the way - I asked you for the HardwareIDs of the SATA Controller (listed within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section) and not of the XrayDisk (listed within the “Disk Drives” section).
According to the last line of your post the HDD named XrayDisk is obviously connected to the on-board “Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller”, which is supported by the Win7 in-box MS AHCI driver named msahci.sys.
Consequence: There is no need to integrate or to load any storage driver before or at the beginning of the OS installation. The Win7 Setup should automaticly detect the XrayDisk and you should be able to install Win7 onto it.
My recommendation is to unplug all other HDDs/SSDs and to retry the Win7 installation by using a “clean” (= untouched original) Win7 Image.
If you are not satisfied with the performance of the XrayDisk, you can replace the MS AHCI driver by an Intel one (e.g. by the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 WHQL).
Note: Don’t try to update the driver of the XrayDisk! You have to update the driver of the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller“, which is listed within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager.

Has anyone successfully installed the Intel NVMe Driver v6.3.0.1022 and run it?
I am asking because this driver causes a bootloop on my notebook and I have to do a system restore to get into the system again.
My notebook is a Lenovo 720S, Intel i5-8250, Intel SSD 760p 512GB, FW 004C
The storage controller has the the Device ID: VEN_8086&DEV_F1A6 and NVME drivers 4.4.0.1003 were installed without a problem and were running fine under Windows 10 1909.
The Storage Controller showed after installation “Intel SSD Pro 7600p/760p/E 6100p Series”. After updating to v.6.3.0.1022 (Installation went through without problems) it’s showing in the device manager “Intel Solid-State Drive HarrisHarbor” which is perfectly fine according to DeviceID and the inf-file. However, Windows 10 was in a bootloop after restart and only a system restore could bring it back to a working state.
After updating to 2004, I thought, give it another shot, but exactly the same issue. Only that I did a system restore before installing the driver.
I am not sure whether Intel messed up, but I am a little concerned that this v6.3.0.1022 was maybe pulled from Intel, because it doesn’t show on their download page.
On the other side, I see here also no reports that other users faced that problem.
Did I do anything wrong?
Anyone else maybe experienced that issue and can point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Tom

I did reported in the forum some incompatibilities problems (BSODS, hibernation, instability, etc…) with Intel NVMe drivers (all families v4, v5, v6, v7) under W10 2004 to handle Intel I750 NVMe SSD.
The personal workaround is to use native W10 (2004) NVMe driver instead of.
Under W10 1909 I never get any Intel NVMe driver problem.

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• Intel storage drivers:
    • new: 64bit Intel RSTe NVMe driver v7.0.0.2286 WHQL for Win7-10 x64 dated 04/20/2020
    • new: Intel RSTe Storage Drivers Installer Set v7.0.0.2291 for Win7-10 x64 dated 05/20/2020
    • added/mentioned: Intel RSTe SATA+sSATA RAID drivers v7.0.0.2286 WHQL for Win8-10 x64 dated 04/20/2020

Good luck with these new Intel NVMe drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

AMD RAID driver 9.3.0.167 officially released by AMD:
https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/nvme_sat…9.3.0.00167.zip