Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• AMD SATA/NVMe RAID drivers:
    • new: 64bit AMD SATA+NVMe RAID drivers v9.3.0.167 WHQL for Win10 x64 dated 03/25/2020
    • new: complete AMD RAID Installer Set v2.08.12.400 for Win7-10 dated 08/19/2020

Good luck with these new AMD RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Which drivers are recomended for SK Hynix PC601 NVMe-SSD (HFS512GD9TNG-L5B0B)?

It’s OEM from Lenovo.

@ole258 :
If you are running Win10 x64 and not satisfied with Microsoft’s in-box NVMe driver, I recommend to test the “mod+signed generic 64bit Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2002”, which I am offering within the post #2 of this thread.
Don’t forget to import the Win-RAID CA Certificate and to set a Restore Point, before you start with the installation from within the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager.

Hey, I’ve been trying out different drivers on my Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe for W7, first time I integrated the Microsoft fix, and while it did work it also wasn’t exactly stable, I’d encounter occasional lockups and it would also stay stuck on the Windows logo after rebooting, even if I switched to my W10 partition, the solution was to shut down the pc for a little bit and it would boot into Windows again.
W10 however has no problems, so it’s all pointing towards W7 drivers failing.
So far I’ve used Microsoft as I said, then I tried pure OFA 64bit, which didn’t even recognize the NVMe at all, after that I tried the mod+signed generic 64bit Samsung ones for W7, which were even less stable than Microsoft ones as I froze up for quite a bit trying to install a graphics driver.
Finally I tried the intel RST generic drivers, which didn’t even get into Windows install due to faulty driver.
Each time I’ve integrated the driver into the ISO with NTLite and used Rufus to add the iso to USB.

Do you have anything else I could try or any ideas as to why I’m getting those lockups and problems booting into Windows while on the Microsoft fix?

@Azsy There are two NVMe hotfixes, one the driver, and another one that is a fix, you know.

Yes, I do know.
I had both integrated, the first one is for NVMe support, the second one is a BSOD fix.
If I didn’t have the driver integrated then I wouldn’t have seen the NVMe.
My issue is that Windows will start randomly freezing and will also do that stuck on logo thing that I mentioned, just overall acting like some old PC with weak hardware.

@Azsy :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The problem of all Win7 users, who want to run an NVMe SSD, is the fact, that the OS is outdated and no one of the chipset manufacturers is interested in developing NVMe drivers for Win7.
The Intel RST drivers, which contain a generic Intel NVMe driver, do not support Win7 at all and the original OFA NVMe drivers are not digitally signed.
So you may have to stick to the MS NVMe driver.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Any idea how I could fix the freezes/unresponsiveness?

Not really. You should better ask Microsoft, because this Company has built the related NVMe driver.

Not really. You should better ask Microsoft, because this Company has built the related NVMe driver.

Unfortunately it’s likely that they’ll just tell me to install W10 :confused:

I’m with sx 8200 pro on a helios 300 2019 with windows 10. I would like to know if for ssd better to use rst optane something like this or ahci? which driver should i install to be able to enjoy its full speed? I am currently having 1400 mb / s write and 2000 mb / s read.

@L.Fernando :

To be able to answer your question, I need the following information:
1. Manufacturer, size and model of the SSD
2. HardwareIDs of the related Storage Controller
3. Currently in-use storage driver

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• AMD SATA/NVMe RAID drivers:
    • new: 64bit AMD SATA+NVMe RAID drivers v9.3.0.206 WHQL for Win10 x64 dated 07/20/2020
    • new: AMD RAID Installer Set v2.09.28.009 for Win7-10 x64 dated 09/28/2020

Good luck with these new AMD RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Good afternoon, follow the info:
1. ADATA, 1tb, sx8200 pro
2. I am a layman and that part I did not understand, but when entering the device manager and storage controllers appears intel (r) chipset SATA / PCIe RST Premium controller and Microsoft Storage Space Controller
3. I currently use an 860 evo m2 sata. The adata sx8200 pro has not had the expected performance, I want to know if any config solves this (in the bios tah rst) if it changes to ahci not from the boot, then I would have to format that doing this will I have the expected performance of the sx8200 pro? I’m also looking to try to get the western digital sn750.
Remembering that I am using an acer helios 300 notebook ph315-52-748u. It has i7 9750h, 16gb ram and gtx 1660ti. I don’t know if that helps to understand the case, but it is there as a complementary info.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space)

@L.Fernando :
You will get the HardwareIDs of the listed “Intel(R) Chipset SATA PCIe RST Premium Controller”, if you do a right-click onto it and choose the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.
Regarding the performance of an NVMe SSD please read the start post of >this< thread.

Hello everyone.
I have motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS.
There are two m.2 slots, which according to specs, are PCIE 4.0 x4.
I bought WD Black SN750.
When i put disk into m2.1, i got info, that connection is detected as PCIE 3.0 x1, and then i have trasnfers around 800 MB
When i put disk into m2.2 i got info, that connection is detected as PCIE 3.0 x4, and then i have transfers around 1700 MB (very similar to mentioned in this topic).
Sn750 is connected as “storage” drive. I have second, sata ssd disk (128 gb) which boots Windows 10.
I tried to update bios and amd chipset drivers to newest one. The same goes to sn750 - it is up to date.
On device managment i see only Standard NVME Express Controller.
What should i do to fully enjoy sn750 power? :slight_smile:
Can you help me, please? :slight_smile:

@darthkurak :
If you want to know the maximum possible performance with an AMD X570 chipset system by using a single (non-RAIDed) SSD, please look into >this< post.
Generally you have to do the following:

1. Buy an NVMe SSD, which supports the PCIe 4.0 standard (e.g. the Sabrent Rocket 4 or Rocket 4 plus) and install Win10 onto it.
  2. Make sure, that the on-board AMD Ryzen CPU supports PCIe 4.0 (currently only the “Matisse” models do it).
  3. The NVMe SSD should be inserted into a PCIe/M.2 slot, which is directly connected to the CPU.
  4. Find out yourself the NVMe driver, which gives your specific system the best possible performance.
  5. Optimize your configuration by following the non-Intel specific tips I haven given within the start post of >this< thread.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi. Thanks for response.
I want to utilize maximum performance of the disk which i own. This is sn750.
Right now i can only use half of its power.
It’s using PCIe 3.0 which should be supported on x570, right?
I have Ryzen 3600x.
Right now i did clean install of Windows OS on this NVME disk. Also i disabled sata. So it is only this one disk plugged in, where OS is installed.
I did test, and again, i have the same situation - only half of power is used:
(i can’t paste url to image, because of forum restriction…, but it states around 1600 MB/s) :
I can’t plug it on the m.2.1 port, because then performance is even worse, as system sees this as PCIE 3.0 x1 (only one lane), which of course is also bizzare and strange, as both m.2 slots on motherboard suppose to support PCIE 4.0 x4.
What can be wrong with my setup, that it so low?

@Fernando ,
Do you know if under any specific full Intel configuration PCIe V4.0 is supported as well you explained under a full AMD configuration ?

@darthkurak :

Yes!

@100PIER :
Until now none of the currently available Intel chipsets do support PCIe 4.0.