Removing ME, Modding fan RPM on C621 motherboard from Supermicro

Hi,

I have a supermicro X11-DPH-i motherboard. I tried to remove the ME partition with me_cleaner, but got in a boot loop, so I reflashed the original BIOS.

I still want to remove ME, however. Will setting the HAP bit without deleting the partition work? Removing the partition without the HAP bit? Or is C621 unable to be cleaned of ME

Additionally,

is it possible to set the minimum fan RPM at 0? I get an annoying fan-loop in normal usage, and setting the fans to high-power annoys everyone in the house

@_haru @svarmod @dsanke @revlaay - @yashaneznayu - One of these guys I think should be able to tell you for sure which is best method to do what you asked about regarding Intel ME

Which section is it that you can adjust the fans to high-power, so I can find the setting and see if minimum can be adjusted or not.

Unrelated to your main questions, I unlocked BIOS for this board here, but user has not tested yet. If you can currently see this fan setting you mentioned, let me know it’s exact location and I’ll see if I can change minimum.
Enable MCE on Supermicro X11DPH-T

@yashaneznayu @Lost_N_BIOS

HAP bit through Intel FIT should be the best method to try. Not sure if C621 can be run without ME though, I think X299 doesn’t work.

@_haru

unfortunately, I don’t have access to the computer right now (it’s undergoing component level repair) but I have a working relationship with the repairer and had given him a BIOS file with the HAP disabled beforehand to see if it works. However, the HAP was disabled through me_cleaner, not FIT. Is there a difference as to how these two programs do this?

@Lost_N_BIOS

I don’t have access to the machine right now but I remember changing the fan settings through the IPMI web interface, not the BIOS. It would be cool to be able to change them through the BIOS though.

The DPH-i and DPH-T give the same BIOS file as a download, so I wonder if they use the exact same BIOS. If so, you wouldn’t have to do anything extra.

@yashaneznayu

I’m not entirely sure if HAP-bit through me_cleaner and FIT is the same, but if one doesn’t work and you have an external flasher, there’s not much harm in trying both.

Edit, check Pluto’s comment below

Same, the HAP bit was found via FIT. :wink:

I’ll have to dig around in BIOS modules and see if I can find adjustment possibilities via IMPI module, or is that a separate BIOS file? I looked in IMPI actual BIOS settings, nothing like that there, only looked like log file control settings, lan controls, BMC Control.

@Lost_N_BIOS Knowing supermicro, the IPMI setting is probably just toggling a hidden BIOS setting. So it should be a matter of exposing the BIOS setting. IPMI runs on a separate CPU (I don’t think it’s even an x86 cpu) with a separate firmware. Worst case scenario, the IPMI system controls the fan PWM directly, in which case you or I can’t do anything about it.

I have noticed with X99 mobo’s that you must use soft clean with me_cleaner.

I do not see any hidden fan settings in IMPI section of BIOS, nor any settings that relate in other IMPI BIOS modules. Send me a copy of it’s downloadable FW, or a dump from it, and maybe then we’ll have better luck