[Request] ASUS Vivobook X515M BIOS

hi, I humble try to ask on this forum, because I think there are a lot of competent guys here, in the hope someone with good hearth would help me.
I bought this cheap laptop Asus Vivobook X515M, and asap at home I totally skipped the preinstalled Win10, and tried righaway to install Win7 from USB, as I always did in the past.
But this laptop doesnt boot any of my bootable USB devices anymore, neither Windows nor Linux.
What I learned so far is that, I have to enable this legacy/CSM boot option in BIOS, I checked a couple of videos on youtube, but I cant find it.
I tried to return this crap to shop, but they didnt (want to?) understand the problem, and refused since the laptop looks good to them.
Lastly, I flashed by EZ to the latest BIOS, from 301 to 302, but still no CSM option.
Here the BIOS website:

So, my question, does anybody have already a modded BIOS with that CSM option to give me?
Or does anybody know maybe some hidden workaround to enable this CSM option?
I am even willing to pay you some money… better than buy another laptop and find possibly the same problem…
Thank you

1 Like

Can You Provide me Your old bios Backup??

hi, thank you for your reply, old bios backup, you mean a backup of the original 301 bios? OMG, no I didn’t do any backup before flashing the 302… Im very sorry, I didnt know that was needed… I have some computer skills, but I have very little experience in BIOS stuffs, and dont even know how to do that… if you tell me how to do that, I can try to do a backup of this 302… that file X515MA-AS.302 from website is no good? Thanks again

hi,since I didnt receive more answers, I thought maybe try to dig the forum for clues, and I noticed there are indeed few more messages about csm missing in asus laptops, but no solution.
Seems a typical asus habit, quite arrogant I would say…
So what I did just now, I checked a guide here(very nice thanks) about how to use UEFItool.
Then I checked again the youtube video, where the guy seem to have the same bios gui as mine, his laptop is a asus rog.
So, I dl the rog bios file(same size as mine), search with UEFItool, and there found csm several times, apparently a very big module, and in the famous Setup var.
Then, I tried to search the same in my bios from website, and found nothing…
UEFItool can see indeed lots of variables, but I cant even find the famous Setup var!
Is that possible?
thanks

hi, in case someone still reading, thats the best I managed so far…
Tried to EZ flash back the old 301 bios from website, but bios gives error rollback protection.
Then, I managed to dump the rom directly from this bios(302), but even this file is no news inside UEFItool…
Then, I put Shell.efi on a old usb formatted fat32 and bios did run it alright, and from there I could run other efi programs, also RU.efi ok…
Thats it.
I have no experience in assembler, nor want to buy circuits and cables for programmers…
If nobody can help, Im going to put this disgrace online for sell very cheap, maybe some student…
No more asus products for me, not even for free, rip

People should be aware of the age of an OS and the the markting “schema” in world today, the task is sell, sell, sell. Still the fault on a purchase like this, is always user side on the lack of research on the subject.
We are in 2022… with new chipsets new OS’s etcs…
A bios mod is not always possible in what ever the user thinks of it, sure what is made by human can be break by human…
Besides the OS, it now lies another problem…the drivers for recent hardware on old OS.
Start digging here and you may have lucky:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with | Tutorials (sevenforums.com)

EDIT: You have to excuse me but im straight with the words, not matter what hurts…its simple the truth.
Good luck on your endeavor and yes we learn every day…over_n_out.

People should be aware of the age of an OS and the the markting “schema” in world today

Im aware thank you

the task is sell, sell, sell. Still the fault on a purchase like this, is always user side on the lack of research on the subject.

I apologize for that

We are in 2022… with new chipsets new OS’s etcs…

sure, but the “new” doesnt mean “quality”, mostly for the OSs.

A bios mod is not always possible in what ever the user thinks of it, sure what is made by human can be break by human…

I apologize again, if my post sounded pretentious or insistent.

Besides the OS, it now lies another problem…the drivers for recent hardware on old OS.

Maybe we can leave that to me, that is my area of expertise

Start digging here and you may have lucky:

Im not interested at all, about what m$(uefi, win11, vaccines,…) is trying to impose to the miserable populace… in the specific, I have my OSs and USBs nicely tuned and bootable on MBR, and Im not going to throw them away because they say so… in the very specific, asus clearly provide the legacy/csm option, but only on the most expensive products, no matter whatever “new chipsets new OS’s”… so I agree with you, asus is all only a "marketing schema”, and I dont accept it - do you?

Lesson learned: before buy a laptop, ask to see the bios