[Request] ASUS X79-Deluxe NVMe and Bifurcation Mod

@Deluxe - I thought so, it’s OK So, you did use UBU to update microcodes? Sorry, it’s not clear in your above info, since it does not show UBU specifically updated microcodes.
I can help you fix Serial, UUID etc if you need? No, I think for this board the BIOS is in a socket and you need to use U Type Flat IC Extractor to pull the chip and place it into programmer, clips don’t fit on those BIOS.

In a little bit, I will post Bifurcation mod BIOS + Properly updated uCode Bifurcation mod BIOS

@Lost_N_BIOS Ok. Yes I have updated all microcodes via UBU. MC extractor shows latest versions of 10 microcodes, twice.
I don’t know if I need to fix the serial etc. It would be nice but I dont want to bother you too much.
Thanks for your time and explanations. I will research for and buy the necessary extractors. No stress :slight_smile:

Twice? There should be only five actual microcodes x4 volumes, 20 total. Anyway, the main issue with UBU edit of microcodes on this BIOS is the two padding removals, but since you’ve flashed a BIOS with that in place and it booted then this model is not affected by such a change so nothing to worry about.
You don’t have to fix the serial or UUID etc, but I can help you do it if you want, I don’t mind. For that, we will have to wait until Xenophobian is back because I’ll need him to send me a FPT or AFU BIOS region dump so I can see exactly how the info foes into this model
U Type Flat IC Extractor is only $1 on ebay, let me know if you need a linked example

Here is Bifurcation Mod BIOS These are built on stock BIOS, flash via USB Flashback only
Asus X79-DELUXE-4805-Bifurcation-Mod
Asus X79-DELUXE-4805-Bifurcation-uCodeUPD-Mod-RePack << New link, if you download previously don’t use it (= brick), toss the file, and re-download.

@Lost_N_BIOS You’re right of cause, 5 microcodes x 4.
Great that we know that the padding doesn’t cause issues.
Okay, we wait for Xenophobian.
I may or may not try the Mod before I have the extractor.
I’ll update you as soon as I’ve tried the Mod(s).
Thank you so much so far!

Yes, it’s good to know which models that causes brick on and which it don’t, but I haven’t kept track of that (need to, but often you can’t always tell what caused the brick unless person only updated microcodes with UBU, or manually themselves with tools, then brick)
It happens though, but I can’t really give a guesstimate on a percentage of models I see that get affected by it. But, yes, it’s always good to know which ones it doesn’t matter on!

The bifurcation menu mod is fine/safe to use, no worries, I do that mod for people often (already did all other Asus P9X79 variants many times)
Inside Advanced you will now have new PCI Subsystem Settings submenu, and a new (different) System Agent Config submenu

You’re welcome! Yes, well have to wait for Xenophobian if you want to get your serial and UUID fixed. You’ll need to send me images of the long white sticker on side of PCB, sticker on side of 24 pin, and sticker on top/bottom side of PCI/PCIE slots

@Lost_N_BIOS Update!

I flashed your Mod with the uCode updates.
Brick :slight_smile: Fans spin for a split second and turn off in a loop.
I cleared the CMOS, flashed again, same result.

I then flashed your Mod without the uCode updates.
No brick :slight_smile: System turned on normally.

I then flashed your Mod without the uCode updates - after I updated it’s uCodes via UBU.

I then flashed your Mod with my uCode updates - after I updated other stuff via UBU.

I then flashed your Mod with the uCode updates again to confirm it bricks my system.
Brick :slight_smile:

And finally I flashed your Mod with my uCode updates and other stuff again.

So I guess you should remove the one with the uCode mod.

Do you mind if I create a [Offer] thread with three versions
1) your Bifurcated Mod
2) your Bifurcated Mod + my uCode Mod
3) your Bifurcated Mod + my uCode Mod + other stuff
(By other stuff I mean what UBU offers - Trim support/Network/SATA updates)

@Deluxe - Ahh! Brick, I thought maybe I should have used MMTool instead of UEFITool for that ucode file!! I knew it, but didn’t trust my gut
Yes, other one would have always been fine. Yes, I know why it bricks, thank you for checking, I assumed it would be OK since it looked fine on the things I check, but sometimes you have to use MMTool no matter what and I thought this one was OK and didn’t need it.
Now we know it does, thanks for checking and I’m glad you didn’t sweat it and knew how to recover

Yes, I will remove that ucode one, and replace with another ucode one (proper this time!) So if you want to wait, let me do that, and then you can use as base.
Or, go ahead with your own ucode update mod BIOS, it’s OK, I don’t mind. And no, I don’t care if you create an offer thread with the bifurcation BIOS by itself or used as your base to build on, all good here

@Lost_N_BIOS yes thanks to the BIOS gods for USB BIOS Flashback :slight_smile:

I will create the thread and of cause credit you for the Bifurcation mod.
I think its’ a good thing if one who actually have the hardware “maintains” the thread and keep the mods/download links updated.
Maybe I will use your new uCode version as the base - if I dare :slight_smile: haha.

@Deluxe - New link added post #13, fixed BIOS (RePack), should be OK now I used MMTool this time
Yes, Asus should put that on all boards now, the chip is in place and the USB there too, not sure why they don’t other than to make user pay more for board that offers it.

New BIOS will be OK, promise, try it out I can tell, as I mentioned I had second thoughts about that ucode first time around, and should have known to trust my gut, but I double checked and looked OK.
From now on I will trust my gut about that! It’s due to the few microcode modules in the PEI volumes, those can’t be rebuilt always properly with UEFITool, so MMTool needs to be used (not always though, so pain to keep track)

Apologies - I was out of town visiting family for the Holidays, indeed! I will be back later this evening. What would you guys like me to test? Are the two files posted above one with a simple bifurcation mod and the other has updated microcodes?

Hey @Xenophobian good to see you back, hope you had a good time celebrating the holidays!
Nothing needs tested now, except ucode BIOS on post #13 (Both have bifurcation mod) I just fixed second BIOS (ucode update one), first ucode mod I made = brick, but it should be OK now

Good to know - Is there a reason I would like this new microcode? Is ASUS just not updating them for a reason other than pure laziness?

They are just lazy. Microcodes are put out to fix bug issues, and to close security holes usually, but sometimes they help or hinder performance.
If you are using Win8-10 anyway, Microsoft is forcing a new one on you anyway in OS, probably older than latest, so might as well have latest in BIOS so MS doesn’t insert whatever they want.

[OFFER] thread:
[OFFER] ASUS X79-DELUXE Bifurcation + uCode + Other Mods

@Deluxe - So RePack on ucode mode at post #13 OK, correct?

@Lost_N_BIOS Correct. It’s based on your new edit.

@Xenophobian - please confirm, on the bifurcation edited BIOS only, do you have the 1.5v vcore issue? Are you using “XMP” option, if yes, be sure you are setting that on your test of stock 4805 and the bifurcation only BIOS test.
Also, before you test either BIOS, be sure to clear CMOS after flash, then load optimal defaults, reboot back to BIOS, and then make all changes you need. Additionally, if you are using XMP setting, please test both BIOS without using this, so we can see if that is the issue.

On the "4805 BIOS with Bifurcation Mod and uCode Updates by @Lost_N_BIOS and Other Mods by @Deluxe " I think I know the cause of this, have seen before, but on the “4805 BIOS with Bifurcation” this shouldn’t be happening/isn’t expected.

I’ll try them again and clear CMOS after flash, load optimized and then make the changes I want. I am not using XMP, it’s a custom memory overclock.

@Xenophobian - OK, thanks, yes, please test both stock and bifurcation only mod like that, same way for each. Also, please test stock BIOS first and then bifrucation mod only second.
If you do not use XMP enabled/profile #xxx that is good, still may be related to what I was thinking may be the issue with the deeper modified BIOS (Not the bifurcation only one), but it could still be related if you only see that once you apply memory changes.
I expected to see issue like this on the further modified BIOS, but not with the bifurcation mod only.

Also, the one I updated ucodes on, I didn’t expect to see this issue either, only the one with the further modified option roms etc.
However, ucode update one may have issue too, if we find it does but not the bifurcation only one, then it may be ucode related (some older ucodes may need to be left in place)

I was able to test them both out again and had the same results. Overclocks won’t stick and the voltage is set to 1.5v. I cleared CMOS after doing BIOS flashback, went into BIOS, loaded Optimized Defaults, Save+Exit, entered and modified the BIOS to specifically overclock to 4.4ghz all core, +.100v core offset, even tried per core overclock and manually setting 1.35v but it has the same reaction, regardless of which BIOS I am using. I specifically avoided changing any settings related to Memory as well, purely core overclocking.

----------------
I also tried with an older USB 2.0 drive that I specifically use for normal BIOS flashing of mobo’s/GPU’s because I know it works well and some newer drives can cause issues. Same results, at least it’s consistent…