[REQUEST] Bios unlock on Lenovo Legion 5i PRO 2022 16IAH7H

can anyone help me how to unlock advanced bios for enabling XMP profile on legion 5i pro 16IAH7H
Specs : i7 12700H, 16GB DDR5 4800Mhz, nvidia RTX 3070Ti
List Bios :
J2CN49WW [LATEST] https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/j2cn49ww.exe
J2CN46WW
J2CN45WW
J2CN43WW
J2CN40WW
J2CN37WW
J2CN32WW
J2CN30WW
J2CN29WW [OLDEST] https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/j2cn29ww.exe

Thank you

Hi. Post your BIOS dump

Hi

Spec.: 12900H, 16 GB DDR5 4800 MHz, Nvidia RTX 3070Ti
BIOS: J2CN49WW

I have the same problem. I don’t have advanced option bios and xmp 3.0 profile.

My new Kingston Fury 2x 16GB 5600Mhz CL40 run now with 4800Mhz and CL36 timing :confused:

Please Help !

THANKS !

Just looked into the latest firmware linked over there from the 23rd of Dec., the modification to unlock access to the hidden pages seems to still be easy (based on information about mFormSetGuidScuVisibleMap), however since I don’t have access to that laptop I don’t know if that would suffice, or we’d need to also remove some “Disable If”, “Gray Out If” kind of options in the forms (not a problem).

As usual, we’d need to enable flashing through FPT, not to need to use a programmer, but that 12th gen Intel… I don’t think there’s an H2OUVE version out there that can read/write UEFI variables in those systems. The most likely enabled BIOS lock (var 0x1C in PchSetup) and FPRR (0x73D, same place) would need to be disabled via RU.efi or setup_var.

I’m writing all of this and I’m sure you’re now thinking “dude, wtf is this guy going on about” :rofl:. In other words: it seems possible for me, for experienced modders it surely is, but there are some steps you need to do that I can only walk you through before we get a BIOS dump of your machine to do the modification…

Now, that’s the “meh” news, not great, not terrible, if you want to have the change permanently done. But! If you’re interested in leaving the firmware as is and accessing the unlocked BIOS setup directly (changes would be permanent, as long as default aren’t loaded in the future I’d say), we could try it with a USB stick :smiley:

It’s not complicated (at most you’d need to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot first if it is enabled), just copying some files into a USB stick and booting from it.

Thank you !
I am ready for it, but I hope it will be a safe option.
I have experience with undervolting and OC CPU/GPU, but bios modding is the difference :slight_smile:
I would like to ask you to guide me step by step through this process, using the simplest methods possible.
I will be grateful for help.
This already very efficient laptop still has a lot of potential hidden in the RAM timing.

Not to worry, what I wrote was actually safe, although more of an explanation for me than for you haha, even the steps you’d need to take to flash a modified BIOS permanently are simple and I could post screenshots of what you’d be seeing and what to do.

I want to write a couple of guides about the whole thing, how to do certain things, but I haven’t gotten to it yet (there are guides in here that already cover many things!)

Aaaaanyway, let’s try things without modifying anything, and I noticed that your laptop being a Legion from 2022 can use an already written patch! (and by the author of SREP himself) that would work, so I don’t need to do anything. For your machine the first patch operation in there won’t do anything, since that tab isn’t present (it’s innocuous), the last 3 are the ones I looked at yesterday and necessary.

So here we go:

• We’ll be needing a USB stick, doesn’t matter the size, even if you had an old 1 GB one, it’d do, we need but a few KBs. You need to format it as FAT32, UEFI likes it by default.
  • Download the current version of SREP (SREP.zip is the one you want): Release 0.1.4c · SmokelessCPUv2/SmokelessRuntimeEFIPatcher · GitHub
  • Extract the contents of that archive in the root of the USB stick, so EFI is the first folder you see when you open it.
  • Next to it, extract the “SREP_Config.cfg” file from the attached archive in this post (for convenience, it’s the same as the one here) in the root of the USB drive, so you should just see an EFI folder and that file at this point.
  • Done! Reboot your computer, make sure Secure Boot is disabled in BIOS and boot from the USB drive. It shouldn’t take long and it should take you to an unlocked BIOS setup utility where you can look around and make the changes you want.

No changes were done to the firmware of your machine, and whatever change you do this way is permanent too (say… you tweak RAM timings, or enable overclocking, etc.). If you see grayed out sections, or options, that you’d like to access, let me know; we should be able to enable them with some more patches.

SREP_Config.zip (378 Bytes)

The tool for “devil” modifications according to the instructions works fine. However, after changing the timing in the advanced options to higher (assumed by Kingston) and trying to start the laptop, it does not start. I probably missed timings or some other option.
Tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS and main batteries for 30min… still the same.
Did the patch connect to the standard bios?
Any ideas ?
I’m against the wall…

OH! The patch doesn’t modify the original firmware at all, changes happen in memory, if you were to reboot without the USB and press the BIOS key to access it you’d see the default menus; the changes one does in the advanced settings do, they take place. Say one disables E-cores, upon boot there’d only be P-cores active in those Intels with different cores for example.

Is there a… don’t know how to call it, it’s a little pinhole under the laptop where a clip or one of those SIM pins would fit to press a button underneath. I think it’s an emergency reset button of sorts, but I don’t know if it does the same as removing the CMOS battery or something else, the procedure is using a clip or similar (or your finger if the laptop is opened) pressing that button for 15 seconds or so, then releasing and trying to power up the laptop again (all of this with the power disconnected).

I wonder if the OC was “too much” or unstable and that’s why the laptop doesn’t POST, but there should be a way to roll back to sane defaults; I would have thought taking out the CMOS battery would have forced that to happen.

I haven’t been able to reset the BIOS for several hours now. 30…60min with disconnected batteries and nothing.
It keeps the RAM timing change introduced all the time and probably doesn’t want to let it go.
Removing the RAM, trying on one memory chip, also nothing.
The option remains to short the jumpers on the battery pin for 5 minutes.
It supposedly works on all laptops.

Uhhh… Once the laptop is able to boot up (which is what I’m hoping for), what is a way to be able to check various settings without having to reset the bios?

Check settings, as in stable overclocking values? I never really did go up, it was always undervolts I was interested in, and in desktop PCs there is usually that safe button to reset to the default state, and even overclocking profiles can be saved in the BIOS setup, but I don’t if that’s a thing for laptops. Specially since yours didn’t take XMP profiles to begin with, like, what’s up with that…

SW-wise though, Intel’s XTU (an older version perhaps) or ThrottleStop but some BIOS settings need to be enabled for them to work. I didn’t try any of it yet, but off the top of my head PL4 needed to be enabled, and of course overclocking (there is a setting for it all in one of the menus). Searching through Google I’m sure you can find the specific settings that need to be changed.

There has to be a way to get the machine to post again, I mean, come on, sometimes there are keys to keep pressed before powering up to do an emergency BIOS upgrade, but I have no idea if it applies to that Legion, or if would still use the saved timings.

I managed to start Legion but the BIOS remained the same, it did not reset despite removing the battery for 2 hours. Only replacing the ram with Samsung’s original DDR5 4800Mhz helped.
Earlier in the BIOS, I lowered the clock speed to 2800Mhz [Kingston Fury 5600Mhz], i.e. I treated it as a half as seen, for example, by CPU-Z, while in the BIOS the real clock is set.
That’s why he didn’t want to get up on such low clocks, he only started on Samsung.
Now I have to try to set everything exactly and find a way for the bios to get up after the changes are not accepted.

What a relief at least! Good that you kept the original RAM sticks instead of selling them!!

Little by little try to see if you can get it to accept the higher clocks, something that stuck in my head for some reason is that when OCing RAM you need to “train” it, it may not POST if you jump straight to a high clock, but doing something else before could get it to do. You’d need to find a guide online because my memory ain’t the most reliable when it comes to that :rofl:

There is riskier stuff to try though, if you disable the SPD write protection in the BIOS you would be able to re-write SPD data in the memory that is installed through Taiphoon Burner for example… do make a full backup of the original data before proceeding (in that app)! I’m just mentioning to give you another alternative, but I don’t know if I’d go that route myself. I’d need to read more on the matter before “playing” with expensive stuff like those Kingston modules.

I made a gradual increase in clock speed of the Kingstons to 5200 Mhz, but the clock did not change. It’s probably just a maximum POSSIBLE timing option. So I changed the gear option from auto to 1 (I saw this setting used by someone on this forum overclocking DDR4). But the computer hit a wall again.
I am still thinking whether the i12900H itself allows you to work with a clock speed higher than 4800Mhz (this is the case in the intel spec). But I saw someone put much faster ram for a 12900K desktop processor without any problems (intel also informs about cooperation with 4800Mhz ram). Similarly, a twin 12700h Gigabyte Aorus laptop could run at DDR5 6000Mhz!
So it looks more like a software limitation in Lenovo.

Currently, what is missing is the inactive +OverClocking Performance Menu and +Memory Overclocking Menu, where access to xmp 3.0 profiles and delay settings should be available.

Can you overwrite the BIOS patch to access this location?

Thanks for your commitment :wink:

Here, give this one a try, you should now have access to the overclocking menu and memory overclocking as well. If you come across an area with options grayed out or disabled you’d like to access let me know and I’ll see about enabling them.

Just be careful now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

SREP_Config.zip (396 Bytes)

my laptop doesnt post anything too, can you tell me what you do so it can post back normally?

because i need to use the laptop, i contacted lenovo service and they going to change my motherboard :joy:

However, my caution is at a low level :smiley:
From last night to today I can’t start Legion.
It seems as if changes in the advanced option are written permanently to the BIOS. Bios reset by disconnecting the CMOS battery and the main battery is recommended by Lenovo itself and rather works.
So now I have a problem of a different kind and I don’t know if I will have to take it to Lenovo. They will surely be surprised there :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m a little nervous, but I’m optimistic for the future.
Uhhh… in desktop computers it was much simpler and safer…
I am working and will keep you updated on progress.

Thanks again!

Huh! It’s ridiculous :stuck_out_tongue:
Did you do the same in terms of modifying the BIOS or is there a different reason?
As soon as I find a way to revert to the original BIOS or something else I will let you know…

i modified the bios too and i only changed the memory to gear 1 and change the display to 24 bit
but when i turned on, the keyboard rgb turned on but the display black screen.
i already reset the bios by unplugged the cmos battery but my laptop still cant posted
so i contacted lenovo service and say that my laptop black screened when i update the bios. so they say that they will change my motherboard but its takes about 1-2 weeks :smiling_face_with_tear:

so your laptop still havent posted until now??

Written to NVRAM (or non-UEFI parts of firmware/padding), both are a part of the firmware and not covered/reset by CMOS reset/ disconnecting battery (both CMOS and main). Sometimes there’s a reset routine for NVRAM implemented from the manufacturer but not very often.

If no such reset procedure exists, the solution is a CH341 programmer…

1 Like

Great !
So it looks thick!
If we make changes that may cause instability directly in the advanced options - it’s game over!
Well, unless we are a level 5 service technician with a CH341 programmer in the pocket :smiley:
…or better … changing the motherboard :stuck_out_tongue:

Pffff… now the Lenovo service is probably left…

But the question remains…
How to apply changes to BIOS advanced options without writing to NVRAM? Is it possible or can it be avoided?