[REQUEST] BIOS version 1.90 for Qosmio X500/X505 (PQX34U) Unlock Advanced Settings

@JoeCowboy - This is corrupted dump, not due to BIOS you flashed in either. What version software did you use? Try another instead. I can fix BIOS now and send to you, but write back to BIOS will fail, until you find version that properly dumps the BIOS first.

Maybe similar instance as issue I ran into with W25Q64FV, I need to use BV - so could be similar for you but reversed, something to try >> W25Q32FV instead
Try 1.30 and 1.34, dump with both versions and both ID’s, name file with ID-Version, so you know what’s what, then pack all four up and send to me.

Did you read that off the chip itself, or only get it by auto detect from software? Check the chip itself if you didn’t already, so we can be sure it’s actual ID
I can’t even see the chip in your image, but even if I could I wouldn’t be able to read it

If you continue to have errors, we try ASProgrammer 1.40 choose after choose brand, and BIOS ID, hit “Unprotect” function, then read and save and send to me.
https://github.com/nofeletru/UsbAsp-flash/releases/

Yes, I physically saw the name on the BIOS chip itself and all three software packages detected the chip. I have attached the three files dumped by the three different version using Windbond 25Q32BV since the chip had the name 25Q32BVS.

1.30v_DUMP_BIOS.zip (1.38 MB)

1.34v_DUMP_BIOS.zip (1.38 MB)

1.40v_DUMP_BIOS.zip (1.38 MB)

@JoeCowboy - Thanks for confirming you checked BIOS ID yourself. Detecting the chip is good, but what ID do you choose is what matters.

Please dump also using 25Q32FV too as mentioned, then package all three of those BIOS into a single zip or 7zip package and attach here, or upload to any free file host. This way we get it all checked at once
What version was the first dump made with? May also need to try 1.18 with both BIOS ID’s too since this is old BIOS chip, new version should work, but you know how that goes

And while you’re at it, go ahead after all dumps mentioned above, do the ASProgrammer dump too as I mentioned. All BIOS in post #22 corrupt, same as first one you sent. This either software issue, BIOS ID Issue, or protection (hence ASProgrammer unprotect method, do last)

Ok, I did as you requested AsProgrammer I put those in one zip file. I clicked this time the unprotect button and then the read button and saved two different BIOS versions 25Q32BV and 25Q32FV . Far as the other programmer dump v1.18 all it had was 25Q32BV and 25Q32V but it detected the chip as the latter but I dumped both versions. For versions V1.30 and v1.34 I dumped 25Q32FV this time and zipped all them in one zip file.

Hopefully one of these dumps will work but if not, I can unclip and re-clip the BIOS chip again and do it all over until I get it right for you.

AsProgrammer_Dump.zip (2.76 MB)

CH341A_Programmer_Dump.zip (5.53 MB)

Thanks, I will check this out this afternoon! I know it’s a pain, but this is process you have to do at first for any system, so you can find the correct working method to read and write, before you erase anything and try to write.
Usually not this much hassle, but sometimes it takes several tries and different versions until you find the proper working version/method.

Hmmm, I had a quick look, all = same/same! Give me some time later today to look into this in hex and see if maybe it is actually corrupted BIOS region and not just due to software/ID issues.
If it is corrupted BIOS region, then when you wrote that FPT file that initially broke it, either it did not write in properly, or on reboot it scrambled the BIOS which isn’t normal but I guess it can happen.
Don’t worry though, I’ll get it sorted out for you!

@JoeCowboy - Here, please test - erase, blank check, then open BIOS file, write/verify - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…310552401820661
Since we don’t know what software is working, try 1.30 I suppose

I will test in a couple days when I get back home. I had to leave to complete a network install. Thank you for your hard work.

I apologize for not getting back with you sooner on testing this. Ok, to let you know version 1.30 wrote the file you had me download perfectly back to the bios chip and the laptop booted and I was able to get into the BIOS just fine. So now what is the next step you want me to try?

Thank you again for all your hard work!!!

I went ahead and retested all three of the first BIOS mods you created both.bin, fisrt.bin and last.bin. All three failed to post. So what do you want to try next?

@JoeCowboy - No problem about any delays, I’m always behind too!
It’s great tools have arrived, and you’ve recovered now! Time to carry on with testing, much less stressful now though, since you have programmer in hand and know you can recover and you know how now too.

For now, carry on with FPT testing where you left off from post #10, but be ready to recover after each

* Edit - disregard above, sorry, I had tab open to reply and didn’t see your post directly above until I replied
Please wait, let me look again and see if I can get next set made for you to try. Sorry all those are fail, I hate Insyde BIOS

Looking forward to the testing.

Here is two new test files to try, sorry if = brick, I hate Insyde (just don’t know enough to easily find this in all BIOS, some Insyde I can find it quickly, but often it’s a hassle or I never can find )

Wait - Maybe any BIOS mod = brick? Lets test this before I do more of the above test changes, so we can see if any = brick, maybe RSA Signed BIOS and no matter what = brick if edited.
Please send me full BIOS dump from programmer

So, no luck on this from BIOS-Mods forum? Those guys are great at Insyde BIOS mods

Sorry, I don’t see the link to the two new BIOS to test you referred to in you previous post.

No one replied on the other forum about helping. You were the only person willing to help I have found. I thank you for your help and time.

Edit: I have attached two BIOS dumps you requested one from CH341A v1.30 and one from AsProgrammer v1.4.0. I flashed the FixTest1 BIOS back to the system and made sure it booted before uploading the two dumps.

Bios_Dump_FixTest1.zip (2.91 MB)

@JoeCowboy - I didn’t post any link I paused and said "let’s check this first"

Very sorry to hear no one replied over at BIOS-mods, they have some great talent there! I actually wish they’d teach me a few things, I try to ask here and there, but hard to learn much from those guys sometimes they tend to keep pretty quiet

So, this is just the fixed BIOS I sent you before, programmed in and then dumped? If yes, OK, I didn’t expect to hear that but I didn’t read back to see where we were for now Those files by the way are hex identical, so next time no need for both methods.

Yes, I didn’t post any BIOS above thinking I wanted to test two simple changes first to see if those both bricked too or not, to see if maybe this is internally signed BIOS and any edit bricks the board (so we’d know if it is or isn’t really a failed edit in the previous attempt)
Here is two BIOS, program back in with method you know works. One BIOS has a single setting (Wake on Keyboard) changed from default to test if edit setup module edit = brick, other has a single CPU microcode (206A7) updated to see if BIOS edit in general = brick.
If both fail, that may be a sign If both work, good, that simply means we can edit BIOS, and the previous edits are just failures is all. This way at least we know, before carrying on with further attempts
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…191246144711232

Update: Both the test BIOS mods worked the system booted. So what I was thinking maybe you could try your original Both, First, Last mods in the full BIOS dump now. It might just work.

Thanks for test report! This means BIOS volume and module we need to edit is OK to edit, and general/any BIOS edit is OK too.
So, this simply means those first edits I made were not correct place to edit, doing same in full dump will only produce same results.
Time to look again and see if I can spot other place to edit instead, at least now there is less worry since you have programmer (We’ll find it eventually, I hope )

Happy Hunting!

Sorry, thread got lost on me, will check it out more tonight

* Edit - @JoeCowboy - Please test, be ready to recover. I think these changes, may be needed on top of previous failed ones, but lets test by itself and see outcome first.
Or, I also see edit @ same module that may be key too, I hate Insyde BIOS
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…705621208280812

Thank you for the updated bioses I have tried to check them but I think I fubared my video cable plugging it in and out of the motherboard. Not sure if I messed up the video card or maybe the TCON card on the LCD screen by pushing the connector in crocked so when I booted it after the first flash had a pretty array of colors. Tried resisting the cable and I get a flicker of the Toshiba logo on boot with blocks next and then black. I can press F2 quickly on boot and it looks like it goes into the bios because I can see a flash of the screen before the screen goes black. On all three of your latest bios mods. I will try plugging. In s monitor to see if I can see anything on boot.

Sounds like you may have shorted the video chip or SB out Can you test with another display output?

I will test the VGA port on the laptop tomorrow and see if I get video output. If so continue testing the bios mods.