[REQUEST] Chinese Compute Stick Clone - Unlock Limited bios, rumour of 111mhz bus speed hack?

Hi there,
I own this w5 pro compute stick knock-off which I intend to use for a mini laptop project. I was doing some reading online about the z8350 atom soc which it has and I found this strange linus tech tips thread that describes a way to raise the bus speed from the stock 80mhz to 111mhz giving a significant boost in clock speed. This was for the atom z3735f soc (bay trail) while my soc is a cherry trail chip. I am aware that this same “glitch” most likely won’t work on this cpu, but it sounds promising and many of these bay trail devices appear to be capable of this boost. It seems to involve a custom bios and something about “overshooting” (i presume overheating from the context), it reboots and the bus speed is raised to 111mhz.
This thread does not exist anymore on the chinese forum but it is available in wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/201708231208…om/p/3782654765
this same effect seems to be shown in this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0pYajHwuuY
The unlocking of the power limit I have already performed to allow the gpu to work at full speed without throttling in games.
I know that there isn’t much point of trying to eek out more performance of this weak soc, however if there’s an explanation for this and if it might work with cherry trail then I’d be willing to take the chance.
The second thing I wanted to mention is the bios seems to be really really basic, there are almost no options other than boot related things which I found really strange as some other knock off sticks have bioses so expansive one option can brick the system. Now I’m not asking for this sort of thing, but if there are fields in my bios which are restricted then it’d be nice to have them enabled and see what they are. If there was any possibility of increasing the memory multiplier that would also be really great.
The issue now is I’ve never done a bios dump and I’m not sure what to use as some threads show that dumping bioses sometimes don’t extract the me portion resulting in an incomplete image to flash back to the chip. I can confirm it is an AMI bios with an aptio setup utility version 2.17.1429. If someone can provide the best way to dump the bios then I am happy to do so.

Thanks in advance for your help
thatubuntuguy

Does the system have Intel ME? Check with HWINFO64, and or look on your downloads page and see if you see any ME related drivers. Do you have flash programmer, like CH341A?
Sorry, that wayback page doesn’t show me anything useful, all I see is benchmarks. Maybe if I could translate it that would help, but I tried Bing and Google, neither would spit out a translated page. So, I have no idea what mod is done or discussed there for the mod, can you translate it to me?
Never mind, finally got Google to translate it, nothing there for me to do, that is all done on your end with the software tools as described.

@thatubuntuguy - As for unlocking your BIOS, I have to see it first, so we need to know what ME FW you have if any, and if so or not, please also link me to the stock BIOS for this stick.

Hey! Copying your name to tag you, I realize that I think I was helping you for a long time with this stick on a thread you offered huge ransom $$ for help with over at BIOS-mods forum, but then you stopped replying! Did you get the programmer, I forget?

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,
No I’m not that guy, what was that thread about? Could you send me a link?
It does appear to have ME, version 2.0. I do not have the flash programmer, however I know this is inexpensive and I can buy one to dump the bios.
There are no bios images for this stick as far as I can see, there’s nothing on the manufacturer’s website and I’ve searched high and low but I’m all up for trying to dump it with some ami tool or to use a physical programmer. I’m sorry I can’t be more of help atm but ideally if there’s some way to dump the bios without having to buy a programmer that’d be great not because of the expenditure but because I’ll have to wait for it to arrive.
I’m the guy you were helping with the weird IMISR-VM board in which I wanted to fit a Penryn quad core, not that I’m expecting you to remember that.
I’m still confused about the article, I was still wondering at how it’s meant to work - do I need to unlock the tdp then somehow overheat the chip?
Kind Regards
Thatubuntuguy
ps. nvm i found the thread - whoah that’s a big bounty!

@thatubuntuguy - It was this one, and now that I see it I can see it was for actual Intel branded item - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-2…BIOS-mod-needed
Maybe your name just caught my eye from other threads here I helped you in instead? Yes, I vaguely remember Penryn core, but not sure I remember the thread I do remember your username though, so at least there’s that

Since it has Intel ME, we may be able to mod BIOS and reflash using FPT, download V2 package of ME System tools here and see if you can dump BIOS region and reflash it per the info below (you may need to change exe names for your specific tool/package)
Intel Trusted Execution Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

If we cannot get it done this way, then yes, a flash programmer may be required. Can you link me to the stock BIOS package for this stick? You may also be able to flash mod BIOS using the stock method, usually this is blocked, but you never know since this is cheap clone device.
Sorry, I see you say they don’t list BiOS package Can you email them and ask for update, maybe they will send to you?

As for the article, it’s just showing you how to do those changes with software, then they are testing etc.

I’m not at home right now, I’ll do that when I get back.
It says in hwinfo that the stick is supposedly nfc capable?! I’ve ripped this thing apart already and took a good look at the internals and I don’t see anything suggesting nfc capability or whatever. (Didn’t tear it down just for this but strange nonetheless)
I saw in the other thread that the bios chips for these (SOIC-8 or something) seem to be 1.8V so it needs a voltage converter. This one has an 8 pin win bond chip that looks suspiciously like a bios chip next to the cpu.
If so, these clones would seem to be really quite similar to the real thing.

One other thing, would you yourself know or someone else know how to implement a battery in windows, ie use an i2c coulomb counter connected to the battery and get it talking with windows to show all the battery metrics within windows? I could use a usb to i2c Adapter as the pads for usb 2.0 are nice and long meaning it’s easy to solder to. It’d be a huge help for my project.

Thanks
thatubuntuguy

-------------------------------------

Okay @Lost_N_BIOS
I’m back home now, I downloaded the tool (took me a minute to find it lol)
I ran the commands you said and I’m happy to say it managed to dump the contents of my bios! Oddly it says that the chip - a w25q64dw seems to be 8192kb, but the dumped file is only 4096kb.
I ran the second command and got no errors - it said the data was identical.
I got an advisory thing saying “PDR Region does not exist” - I don’t know what that means.
Here’s the file: https://mega.nz/#!fnozTK5T!_iNJAB_i6VdSv…9WzsgbwmGxCvL9U

I haven’t used mega before to upload things so I’m hoping it’ll work

Thanks for your help!

@thatubuntuguy - That’s too funny, Mega.NZ usually doesn’t work for me, so I’m the one hoping it works here

Sorry, I don;t know anything about what all you need for NFC to function, so I can’t comment about that. Yes, if chip is 1.8V you will need to use 1.8V adapter. Look at the chip in person, don’t rely on software, what is the chip ID?
Yes, most modern BIOS are SOIC8 chips.

Sorry, I also can’t help with the battery stuff. If you make a new thread, with proper title that would catch someones eye that you think might know about that then you may find someone here that can help.

Yes, BIOS region that I had you dump is only part of the BIOS, we didn’t dump FD, ME and any other minor regions that may be there (GbE, PDR, others)
Great, second command and no errors, means you can flash in mod BIOS without issue using this method! PDR region doesn’t exist is normal, this is not in all BIOS, so you can ignore.

I’ll try to download that file and see if I can unlock BIOS for you. Can you now, send me images of everything you can see in BIOS, all sections, submenus, all settings on all pages. Sorry I didn’t ask for that sooner!
You may be able to use F12 to screenshot to USB. If not, use camera, but pleas if you can, set camera to take smaller size/resolution images before you get started, or use some old cheap crap camera.
I only need to see this images at a quick glance, so 3-5MB per image is insane for this, 100-200KB per mage is more than plenty and res only needs to be 800-1000 or so, so you can see what I mean I hope (don’t need 4K images for this)

* Edit - as expected, I can’t download from Mega.nz today, please upload again to here, at least I know I can always download from here
http://tinyupload.com/

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS
Shame it didn’t work! I’ve uploaded it to tinyupload, here’s the link : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=75112949017298754231
I’ll send the pictures in a minute once I upload them all to an imgur album, seems like the easiest way to easily show you everything. There really isn’t very much going on in there lol.
Upon inspection, it seems that the bios chip in fact seems to be a w25q64fwsig and underneath this it has a number: 1911

Thanks for your help!
----------------------

https://imgur.com/a/qX5KU4I
BIOS images here, there is literally nothing in here lol

@thatubuntuguy - You’re welcome! Shame what didn’t work?? Ohh, maybe the upload? If so, I gotcha yeah Mega is always a pain for me, current link you gave me is invalid, so you’ll have to try again.
Pick some other free download site if you want, just not dropbox, mega, or any that require email to download or have a countdown timer to wait before download, those also never work for me.
Tinyupload works great for me, not sure how you sent me an invalid link??? Upload file, it then gives you two links, first you send to me, second one is for deleting the file I think.

I prefer to see BIOS images in a zip, so I can keep them on my end in folder with BIOS, so please also upload those as archive

W25Q64FV, if you use CH341A, use software version 1.30 or 1.34 and use ID W25Q64BV - This is especially important for the write, not so much for the read/dump
But, we don’t have to use programmer anyway since we can use FPT

* Edit - never mind on the file upload, I got original mega link to work for me today! So now, just need the BIOS images in an archive, hopefully it’s small enough you can attach here if you wanted.
Seeing the biosregion not in a zip, you could have also attached that here too (in a zip or not, but preferably all things shared online should be archived)

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS ,
I already uploaded the bios images, not sure if you noticed the imgur link or not but here it is again for you:
https://imgur.com/a/qX5KU4I
Would this be suitable or do you want them as a zip on the forum itself?

Edit - I can’t read lol
I’ll have to compress these images then… or zip up the files and upload it to tinyupload
----------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS - http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=25290252122000291025

-----------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS
Another thing I wanted to ask is would there be realistically any chance of bclk modification or memory speed modification in the BIOS? I’m thinking more along the lines of no, but it’d be a pretty huge bonus. I want like every option to be unlocked if possible.
Really appreciate your help

thatubuntuguy

@thatubuntuguy - Thanks, I will grab that zip of images and get back to you soon. On CPU, I don’t see Bclk option in BIOS, so no, you’ll only be able to do as mentioned in that guide you linked
Memory, yes, lots of options there (For speed choices, but no timing controls ) I will unlock all options you see in AMIBCP 5.02.0023 or 0031, find that in google and open BIOS file you sent me and you can see all possible options.
* Edit - missing “Boot” Page image, thanks

@Lost_N_BIOS - Whoops! I’ll update the zip archive. I looked through the bios with amibcp and HOLY HELL THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS! WHOAH!
I think there is bclk as well! There is a “bus speed” setting in there - exciting stuff!! Memory timing options are also there but its like fast, medium, slow, slow-slow not like individually controllable :frowning:
There’s thermal options, so I can delete throttlestop altogether, set the throttling temperatures as well … it’s a godsend
I knew this bios had more options than it let on…

-------------------------

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00019470736812154028 - updated pictures with boot section

Edit* - I just realised that I actually removed the cmos battery from this thing due to a minor brick by selecting android in the bios. When I tried to solder it back on, I ended up damaging one of the pads as my soldering iron tip wasn’t big enough, it must have put stress on that pad. I actually had to do this twice, once to restore wifi functionality after booting linux and once to restore the brick.
Therefore I think it’d be necessary to put whatever options I actually want as the default setting if you get what I mean because since there’s no cmos, as soon as I unplug the compute stick all the values will be reset.
I can see in the AMIBCP tool there’s a “failsafe option” - assuming this will be the one it’ll be reset to in the event of cmos failure?

I just needed the boot section image Yes, always lots of BIOS options hidden from users, even on brand name mainstream desktop BIOS too
I did see the bus speed, but there is no value entry there, normally there would be a 0 in optimal/fail safe if it was a setting. I think that just shows the current bclk speed.
I didn’t see memory timings anywhere, only speed choice options 800-1866. Ohh, that “Speed Grade” Not sure what that is, first time I’ve ever seen that in any BIOS, you’ll have to play with it and see if it changes timings or not

Next time, cut one of the the battery cables and then solder back together, so you can do that as often as you need, without having to worry about soldering on the board.
Sounds like tip too hot, held too long/too much pressure, and or combo of all that and not enough solder or flux (Always add lots more solder when you try to remove something on a lead free soldered board)
Follow the trace from the pad you lifted, and scratch off some of the PCB coating, clean, then solder wire lead to that, then solder in the wire-cut battery and you’ll have the CMOS again.
But yes, once you are done playing, and have all settings written down that you want changed away from default, you can program the BIOS to have all that as default.

In all BIOS there is fail safe settings, and optimal settings. usually when you flash BIOS or first enter it, on the exit screen you will have a restore defaults or load optimal etc, that’s what loads the optimal defaults.
Fail safe ideally is never used, it’s only loaded at certain crash times, or if you enable the option to allow loading it manually. Not sure which would be loaded at the point of your question, could be fail safe, or optimal, but best to enter the BIOS then and load optimal anyway.
You’d have to hard change something at fail safe to not be same as optimal value, cause that CMOS reset, then enter BIOS and see what is applied there or in windows at the time.

Grabbing images again now, will have BIOS for you soon, or at least some initial test BIOS, sometimes I like to do a few simple tests on menu or single settings change, before I do the full BIOS unlock, depends on the BIOS.
Will let you know shortly

This all I needed from images, less than 1MB total for all the images you sent
https://ufile.io/kfitmhzm

* Edit @thatubuntuguy - Until you have flash programmer, I can only one one new menu (or add one + replace one, thus add two). So, unless I replace some menu you can currently see, I can only add Advanced or Chipset, you choose (until programmer arrives)
Once you have programmer, then i can possibly add second new menu section too, but to do that I may have to send you a few BIOS that will brick, so best we not try that until you have programmer in hand and backup made.

@Lost_N_BIOS - that’s a shame, why can you only add one menu? Does it risk a brick?
I’ll buy the flash programmer then off eBay today, for now please add Chipset as this has the most useful options for me at the moment with the memory speeds and timings and IGPU settings as well.
The battery does not have wires, it’s like its spotwelded onto a metal bracket which is then directly soldered to the board. I’ll see what I can do with the pcb scratching, and I’ll write down the settings I want and either give it to you to change in optimal default or if you can show me how to do it without bricking board I can do that and flash it so when I remove the power from board, all I need to do is just go into bios and load optimal defaults.

Thanks for all your help

Edit - * would this be a suitable flasher? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264496283325

@thatubuntuguy - Limited space in the area of the current module that controls this, so yes, it’s risking brick for me to add another entry other than one more. It’s all done in assembly and I’m not great at that.
So, to increase the space of this area pushes down all other code, and I’m not 100% sure if I can do that correctly, I think so but it’s best to have programmer in case not so we can recover and keep trying (or not)

What I can do instead, if you wanted, is replace any “Submenu” you see in any location, with the hidden advanced menu instead. That I know how to do for sure without issue
Such as “Audio Config” within chipset, if you don’t need to use those settings, all would remain as is, but replace that with Advanced instead. It’s not clean that way, looks-wise, but it makes it possible for you to also use all hidden advanced
You can pick any submenu too, in any area, so look around and see if there is anything you don’t need/use, or where you think it might be best to stick it. Or, we can wait until you get your programmer and then see if I can figure out increasing that area that holds the list of visible menus.

On the battery, sorry I assumed wired type since you mentioned soldering. those brackets usually release the battery, it’s clipped into place, so you shouldn’t need to remove it at all ever. Show me an image and I will tell you how to unclip the battery

Yes, that programmer is what you need. But, you also need this too, and make sure it comes with cable, some sellers sell clip only but it shows cable too - https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977
There is some kits that include both programmer + that cable… And, you also need to lookup or give me the ID off the chip before you order, so we can check to be sure you don’t also need 1.8V adapter too

Here is mod with chipset visible, compare with what you see in AMIBCP and anything missing still let me know.
This includes two BIOS, test Chip1SetAMIT.bin first, then if still no chipset use Chip1SetAMITBCPS.bin. Flash both via FPTw.exe -bios -f filename.bin
https://ufile.io/i1odize4

@Lost_N_BIOS -oooh! Thanks! Yeah this chip needs a 1.8V adapter I think, the name is w25q64fwsig. The kit I sent has a 3.8V adapter already included iirc.
Thanks for the bios files! I’ll check them both out and flash them tonight.
As for the advanced, you can like replace a specific option with the entire Advanced menu? So like for the OS ID option in “Main”, you can substitute that for the entirety of “Advanced”?
I didn’t really get that but if that’s the case then that’d be amazing.
Thanks for your help!

@thatubuntuguy - Yes, you’ll need adapter like this then, it plugs into the programmer you initially linked - https://www.ebay.com/itm/202046860676

Yes,you got it! I can replace any setting/entry with anything, but I prefer to replace a submenu with advanced or chipset. But yes, I could replace OS ID with the hidden advanced menu if you wanted
Wait until you see chipset before you make a final decision, maybe there is a submenu there that you don’t need at all (Many in southbridge). Well, you can look now in AMIBCP I guess

I guess maybe it would be better if I made visible one of the “hidden from you” settings or duplicates on Main too, and do it there, so you wouldn’t really be loosing anything?

Let me know how the above BIOS goes! I also unsuppressed the hidden Advanced there, but didn’t add it’s menu ID into the main list of menus due to space as mentioned, so I doubt it shows up

Here is two examples where I did what I mentioned with MSI BIOS, sticking hidden advanced into other menus
MSI-Z97M-G43 Advanced Menu Mod + uCode Upd (requested/work done in this thread - msi z97 pcmate unlocking advanced and chipset menu (2))
And just this week - MSI Z87-GD65 “Unlock” hidden BIOS Options (2)

You’d have to download those BIOS and see stock/mod in AMIBCP to best see what it looks like, and that first link where I posted my own images show it in BIOS too.

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS ,
Bad news, I tried the first bios you provided. I flashed it and completed successfully, I tried to reboot but now it doesn’t want to boot… It seems it’s bricked!
I wouldn’t be panicking yet but the chip is 8192kb!! and the dump was only 4096kb!!
I really hope I haven’t bricked this thing forever…

It exhibited the usual bios brick behavior of turning on but not showing anything on the display and not supplying power to usb devices at least for this stick pc. What I would have done in the past was remove the cmos and it would have reset everything but since the bios is different now that’s not possible
I’ll need to buy a flash programmer now -_-

Thanks for your assistance
thatubuntuguy

@thatubuntuguy - Damn, very sorry! This probably happened because I unsuppressed Advanced ahead of time before adding that menu, usually that only can cause funky BIOS entry when it does present a problem, which I would have just sent you new BIOS to flash instead if that happened.
I’m sure that’s the problem, BIOS mod was simple so there wasn’t any unexpected issues while trying to do it or anything difficult that caused me to pause and tell you to wait on programmer. I guess I shouldn’t have done that though, so it’s my fault
Please clarify which exact BIOS you flashed and I will double check it and see if there is anything that looks bad, but I assume it’s what I mentioned above

Yes, it’s bricked until you get your programmer, then we can fix it easily. Very sorry about this, hopefully all your programmer tools will arrive soon

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS
I flashed the one with the shorter name in the zip you provided using fptw. I was so worried but it all seems so funny now. So it doesn’t matter that I didn’t dump the entire contents of the chip right? I can still overwrite the dodgy bios sector with a fixed 4mb image and unbrick it yes?
I was really hoping I wouldn’t have to buy a programmer but it’s okay. I was bound to need it at some point

Thanks. Yes, you dumped BIOS region previously and sent to me, so I have a copy (That’s all you wrote when I send you mod BIOS too).
So, once you get programmer you will dump entire chip, then wait for me to confirm it’s OK dump, then I will first rebuild you base BIOS with your original dumped BIOS region (plus FD, ME, GbE regions - that’s rest of other 4MB)
Then you will program that in, and be back at square one… Then I will make you new mod BIOS without unsuppressing Advanced until it’s time (this time!)

Yes, best you get a set anyway, I always hope people have them in hand when they start a thread Especially or instanced just like this
They’re so cheap, everyone should have a set before they consider anything about modifying their BIOS. Even stock BIOS can brick, and since the tools to recover are so cheap everyone should be a set anytime they see someone mention it and they don’t have one
It’s rare I hand someone a BIOS that bricks, unless I tell them it might in advance, which I only do if I know they have programmer and our goal is to work out something tricky.

Again, very sorry this happened! But don’t worry, we’ll fix it once your programmer stuff arrives!