[REQUEST] Dell server R440 Resizable BAR mod

That must be why this is only reading my bios as being 4KiB in size: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/mtd/intel-spi.txt

…trying to find this jumper. Of course it’s not called out in the service manual :stuck_out_tongue: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-uk/poweredge-t440/pet440_ism_pub/system-board-jumpers-and-connectors?guid=guid-3ca59fd2-4d9d-401c-8499-f285aee1e7a7&lang=en-us

Though there must be a way to do this without the jumper and purely with software because I don’t need to touch a jumper to update the stock bios and I can do that just from my mouse and keyboard

Edit: wait a sec [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing

goodluck finding a way to dump your bios

@Koekieezz Is dumping the actual contents of my bios chip strictly necessary here though? I have the factory bios binary. I should be able to mod it with the rebar mod and flash it just like how the factory standard bios upgrade goes, right?

the latest .bin ones?

I’m right now running the bios from the installer package I gave in the first link at the top of the post. I recently upgraded with that package. So the bios I need to modify has to be in there somewhere, right?

well yeah, you need to dump the bios you just flashed (i suppose this is the latest feb 2023 ver), and see if uefitool would read it. since the cap/bin file from dell website couldnt do it.

So I can parse the factory firmware .cap file now. The secrets for being able to do that are in this comment: How to extract contents of this Dell BIOS package? - #168 by plutomaniac

I’ll quote it here:

Delete the first 0xA8 bytes (Capsule 0x54, $RBU 0x54) and you’ll get an LZMA stream which you can decompress with 7-zip. The resulting file usually starts with another $RBU 0x54 header followed by 2 Intel SPI images. You’ll need to split them manually, after removing some small junk in between.

Does anyone know where I can find the right FPT tool for my platform?

Looks like the FPT tool I need is in the SPS v4 ME system tools package (SPS for Server Platform Services because my mobo is server, not consumer grade). I can’t seem to find that anywhere though. I have found a few times around the forums where people have posted download links to it but they’re all dead now :-/

The Intel FPT tool is part of the Intel CS(ME) engine tools package, related to the CS(ME) version according the system chipset generation.
HWInfo is a simple tool that can be used for identification.
Latest Special Topics/Intel Management Engine topics - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

@Kuri0 alright, I’ve got my bios .bin, but the 3C1DE39F-D207-408A-AACC-731CFB7F1DD7 GUID is not in it. Any ideas?

Ask @Scruffy what volume contains dxe modules on Dell

or better put the readable bios by uefi tools here

You can download my UEFITools readable bios here

50mb bios :smiley: never seen that.
try this and report backrebar_nvmeboot

added rebar and non dell nvme boot from pcie

edit: bios from dell file is 18mb in cap format, so in .bin should be 16mb for 128mbit rom.
ur bios is 50mb… i think it is dump of all bios in the server like bios+idrac+ec+otherbios rom.

@Scruffy Thanks for your help.

Dell’s .cap format does not contain the raw firmware bins, they’re LZMA compressed in there. That’s how an 18MB .cap became the 50MB I shared here. That said, when I look carefully at what UEFITools shows me, it looks like everything there is duplicated twice. I guess it could be that the bin contains two redundant copies of the bios for two redundant EEPROM chips on the hardware? (and maybe also some firmware for other bits)

I won’t be able to try this out until I can find Intel’s Server Platform Services system tools package (compatible with v04.01.04.901 in my system) providing a working FPT tool for my system though.

Can you tell me where you placed the new FFS modules in the mod you posted here? And can you link me to a description of the nvme boot from pcie mod you included? I’d like to understand that a bit better.

here is the position where i placed rebar and where i did remove then insert after for nvme dxe.

tried CSSPS4 yet?

Yeah, I’ve looked at those CSSPS4 downloads. Those archives contain firmware .bins only. I need the system tools package, with a FPT .exe that I can use to flash/dump my running firmware. Basically the equivalent of what’s linked in the downloads section of part C of this post, but for Server Platform Services (SPS) instead of CSME (the consumer grade stuff). It’s frustrating because downloads for the thing I need have been posted several times on this forum, but the links for them have all suffered link rot. I know someone here must still have it!

ok. I found the correct flash tool. but the bios EEPROM is write protected :frowning:

spsFPTW64.exe -BIOS -F backupA-6.bin

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool for Server Platform Services.
Version:  4.2.97.185
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2018, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
    W25Q256FV    ID:0xEF4019    Size: 32768KB (262144Kb)

Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space!

spsFPT Operation Failed

and I don’t see a service mode jumper on the hardware

try with uefi fpt if available.

try also 2 thing:
1)save bios with spsfptw64.exe -d bios.bin
2) try save bios region only with spsfptw64.exe -bios -d biosregion.bin

upload bios region bios somewhere.(with -bios command option 2)