[REQUEST] DELL TWH (Intel) InsydeH2o BIOS

Hi guys,

I’ve used one laptop over 9 years. Instead of looking for an alternative one, prefer upgrade and restore her in my way. But I haven’t mod bios in my life. On the hunt for UEFI version BIOS but fail. Try to learn some knowledge about modifying InsydeH2O BIOS and check sorts of posts, threads, websites. Even download couple of tools, such as

1. Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.exe
2. UEFITool_NE_A32.exe
3. Universal IFR Extractor.exe
4. EzH2O.exe
5. InsydeFlash.exe
etc…

Already use Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.exe and fptw64.exe extract .rom/.fd files myself. The tool UEFITool_NE_A32.exe gives me SetupUtility_PE32_image_section111.sct. Universal IFR Extractor.exe helps me getting SetupUtility_PE32_image_section111 IFR.txt.
Can’t find any information about UEFI. Seems like my BIOS version not support this function. The BIOS info within AIDA64 as below

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Insyde UEFI
BIOS Version QR192
SMBIOS Version 2.7
UEFI Boot No
Secure Boot Not Supported
System BIOS Date 03/03/2011
Video BIOS Date 12/10/10

BIOS Manufacturer
Company Name Insyde Software Corp.

Problems & Suggestions
Suggestion Video BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

Another info about my laptop DELL TWH is the brand might not be the real name. She has the same model motherboard, chipset even CPU with HASEE K580P laptop. Finally found them from a company, QUANDA TWH, located in Taiwan. Both have same appearance, model. So if fail to get DELL TWH BIOS from official website, might be HASEE, QUANDA web is my last chance. Dramatically, I fail as well. That's what I can do up to now. And my laptop info within AIDA64 as below,

Computer
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2670QM, 3000 MHz (30 x 100)
Motherboard Name Dell TWH
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cougar Point HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge
System Memory 8139 MB (DDR3 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Insyde (03/03/2011)

Display
Video Adapter GeForce GT 555M (2 GB)
Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (2076 MB)
Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (2076 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel HD Graphics 3000
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
Monitor AU Optronics B156XW02 V6 [15.6" LCD]

DMI
DMI BIOS Vendor INSYDE
DMI BIOS Version QR192
DMI System Manufacturer DELL
DMI System Product TWH
DMI System Version 03
DMI System Serial Number TWHTFCBX115182F0
DMI System UUID 491C22FD-5C194858-8A94E89A-8FC83538
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer DELL
DMI Motherboard Product TWH
DMI Motherboard Version TBD
DMI Motherboard Serial Number QCQD2BX14801RG
DMI Chassis Manufacturer DELL
DMI Chassis Version US
DMI Chassis Serial Number E89A8FC83538
DMI Chassis Asset Tag Chassis Asset Tag
DMI Chassis Type Notebook
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 4 / 2

And that's what I have known right now. No ideas how to mod, flash, my bios. My hope is simple, just wanna add an new module, UEFI function, for enjoying latest version Windows 10. Really wish u guys can power up me & my old laptop. That would be a biiiiiig favor for me.

Bruce

2011… transition time, laptop/desktop bios was Legacy or the so called Hybrid (EFI) or UEFI, urs could be a Legacy or Hybrid… and Hybrid r really not PURE UEFI. Ur stuck as u cannot add a UEFI "module",
if no CSM option in bios, thats it, unless the OEM has a more recent bios for the model.

Thanks my friend. You are the 1st teacher who tell me what the thing is. So sad to hear that, so that means can’t add UEFI module any more, can I?
My BIOS capture & IFR-TXT file capture as below,
BIOS capture
IFR-TXT file capture

BIOS MOD
UEFI boot option is present in the BIOS. Is it works? -Don’t know.
By the way, are the Advanced and Power tabs accessible in your BIOS right now?

Hi there,

The BIOS capture as below,
Main
Advance
Boot
Security
Exit

Seems like just a few options within my BIOS.
So is it possible to insert UEFI module?
Or is it possible to unlock all hiding advance options.

@Bruce
Sorry, but I can’t view your uploads. I have no access rights. Perhaps you need to change the sharing settings.
It is possible to unlock hidden options. But have you tried installing my mod yet? And here is a possibility that the BIOS may not be flashed because I chose the wrong version of InsydeFlash.
Let me know.

Hi sir,

Just edit sharing condition…thanks for mention me…Suppose they’re visible for all visitors RN…

Bruce

It’s okay now.
I can see that the "Power" menu is hidden. Unlocking it is not particularly important, because the UEFI Boot setting should be located in the "Boot" tab. To make it appear, try running InsydeFlash and click Start.

Hi sir,

My running environment:

InsydeFlash version: 3.78.193
.fd file: TWHQR192.fd

Was running InsydeFlash and click start…the info pop up, Error: File may not have EC Rom!
Kindly view captures below,

Question:
1. which .fd/.rom file should I flash back? Cuz flashing an unmodified .fd/.rom back into CMOS equals nothing.
2. SetupUtility_PE32_image_section IFR.txt shows me no UEFI keywords. Try search keywords UEFI but feedback nothing. The file below,
SetupUtility_PE32_image_section IFR.txt

Bruce

The download link is in the forth post.

Hi sir,

Thanks for your files.

Download: TWHQR192.rar
Unarchived-double click InsydeFlash.exe-press start button-capture below,
Flashback by sweet kitten’s tool-capture
Then press OK button-succeed-auto restart laptop.

Good news, there is not error during whole process. XD
Getting in windows10, open AIDA64, the BIOS info as below,

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Insyde UEFI
BIOS Version QR192
SMBIOS Version 2.7
UEFI Boot No
Secure Boot Not Supported
System BIOS Date 03/03/2011
Video BIOS Date 12/10/10

Restart into BIOS, check everything like usual...so does it succeed, sir? Or anything I lost...

Bruce

I do not understand how it could remain the same. If everything is as you say, then the BIOS was not flashed. Which cannot be.
Or may you try with your previos running enviroment, but BIOS (.bin file) from TWHQR192.rar?

Hi sir,

If everything like what you said, it doesn’t make sense. I do believe what you did for me. So might be I should flash again. So give me a hint what I will see after succeeding flash the BIOS which you mod for me. Or may be the running environment’s problem? Should I flash it with windows 7?

Bruce

More settings under the "Boot" tab.

Hard to say. Not sure. A sign of a correct installation is the duration of the process (flashing for at least 1 minute).

No, it doesn’t matter what version of the OS.

Hi sir,

Hints
1. The HASEE 神舟 logo was demonstrated by EzH2O.exe from your TWHQR192.BIN file.
HASEE 神舟 BIOS logo

2. The DELL logo was showed up from my original BIOS. They’re differ. So if flashing succeed, this one will be alternated to HASEE 神舟.
Original BIOS logo

3. Try to reflash mod version on windows10, windows8 PE x86 and win8 PE x64 mode, everything’s OK. Erase, flash, finally your Insyde.exe close automatically. Seems like successful, but when I chech the BIOS logo still DELL.

4. I remember Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Flash Programming Tool\Windows64\fptw64.exe this FPT tool can backup and flashback .fd BIOS for me. And I was successfully backup my original BIOS file by this tool. So is it possible to convert your TWHQR192.BIN to TWHQR192.FD, and flashback to my BIOS?

5. If there’s possibility to do so, how can I convert
.bin into *.fd?

Bruce

@Bruce
File extensions do not exist when we mean binaries. So bin=fd=rom=whatever. Maybe you would like to try the flashing method for DOS? I recommend it because if we succeed it will make the BIOS MOD universal for everyone.
And only then, I think, it will be reasonably to resort to FPT tool.

Hi sir,

That makes sense, I am quickly doing so. Will change the extension from .bin into .fd. Regarding this, let’s move on and see what we’ll get…

Bruce

Hi sir,

Everything is going alright. FPT flash BIOS capture as below,
FPT flash BIOS mod by Sweet Kitten
Now will restart my laptop to see what will happen, good luck for me and come back soon…

Bruce

Hi sir,

Kindly check the capture as below,
MOD-BIOS-Main-mod by Sweet Kitten
MOD-BIOS-Advance-mod by Sweet Kitten
MOD-BIOS-Security-mod by Sweet Kitten
MOD-BIOS-Boot-mod by Sweet Kitten
MOD-BIOS-Info-mod by Sweet Kitten
MOD-BIOS-Exit-mod by Sweet Kitten
MOD-BIOS-Logo-mod by Sweet Kitten

That is what you done for me. Nothing to say except a biiiiiiiig hug for you. You’re total a genius, man…
Thanks Sweet Kitten, you’re my luck, fingers cross…

Bruce

UEFI boot did not worked.