[REQUEST] Enable PTT for ASUS H87-Pro w/i7-4771

tl;dr: Is there any way to get PTT working on ASUS H87-Pro w/i7-4771?

I have a couple older systems with ASUS H87-Pro motherboards and i7-4771 CPUs that I’d like to be able to run Windows 11, which requires TPM.

It appears that these Haswell processors are the first generation to feature Platform Trust Technology (“PTT”), which is Intel’s on-board alternative to a discrete TPM.

So, it looks like I would be all set, except that the fully-updated UEFI BIOS on these boards doesn’t provide an option to turn PTT on, and running tpu.msc tells me that a compatible TPM cannot be found.

Assuming all this is accurate, I’m left hoping that a BIOS tweak could enable PTT.

Does anyone here have any experience with such a mod? Either direct assistance or even just being pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Same question with an ASRock board, there does not appear to be an option to enable PTT even though the CPU should be capable of it, and their support has given me the run-around saying that they aren’t updating the board anymore

So fun to watch this… hehehe, seems that Alibaba an CO will soon get out of stock with TPM PPT TPP PTP and wotever else…cheers!!!
And u boys also r blaming the wrong guys… why not a camp protest in front of Intel HQ/MS @ REDMONT…heheheh!!!
Ill meet all there, ill take a sign with me "U PROMISED ME 15YRS OF SUPPORT FOR MY MOTHEBOARD/CHIPSET"
Ignorance is a bliss…

Even if you have enabled PTT or TPM or whatever, you cpu is outside the minimum requirements for Windows 11.
tldr, don’t waste your time. Just relax and wait for the final win11 version. Everything can change!! If not, there is a good hacking community on the internet. Remember that we have XP running on modern hardware? and we also have win10 running on socket 478 cpu’s? Just wait :wink:

There’s a lot of uncertainty regarding this I’m afraid - It appears that the minimum CPU requirements they list are for an "optimal experience" rather than because earlier models don’t necessarily work. However, TPM is a hard requirement, which still makes enabling PTT a worthwhile pursuit.

I’m in a similar position here - The ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard I have has no option in the BIOS for PTT. Whilst researching though I found that the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA DOES have an option for it. Furthermore, the 6700K I have definitely supports PTT based on accounts from those with other motherboards. Given this, I would think that modding should be a possibility, though sadly I’m not really sure where to even begin here.

TPM is not a hard requirement, Microsoft is lying.

It’s an soft-install block designed to help partner hardware vendors sell new pc’s, the OS Kernel will not at all whatsoever require TPM to function.

Install bypasses will be available day 1 of windows 11’s release and microsoft will be dragged to court over it at some point.

Even though you unlock the PCH-FW tab in BIOS and switch dTPM to fTPM (PTT), it still won’t unlock TPM.

I’ve tried unlocking the tab on my Maximus VIII Extreme board (Z170 w/ 7700k). BIOS says it’s activated with the prompt telling me that board swap will delete the TPM code, and the PTT capability and status is 1/1. Yet, windows still says no TPM found, so it might be BIOS problem, not whether it is unlocked.

(Of course, some pros may be able to do something beyond just unlocking the tab, but needa wait for them to reply)

Of course, TPM and CPU not reaching min spec of Win 11 is just an artificial barrier. Using DISM to deploy the install.wim/esd and then bcdboot the drive will probably work when Win 11 is officially released. Even on my Surface 7, I disabled bitlocker due to it’s buggy nature (tried getting locked out until several reboots).

Edit: Also, from what it looks like, most insider PCs already running the dev channel up till 24/6 can upgrade to Win 11 despite not meeting min spec (TPM/CPU). So, good news to current insiders I guess.

I absolutely agree that it is somewhere between extremely unlikely and impossible that it is honestly technologically a hard requirement.

The more positive interpretation is that they consider Bitlocker (and whatever other security-minded features might be forthcoming) fundamentally critical these days.

The more negative interpretation is that they are trying to help themselves by helping the PC industry sell new gear.

I figure it is both.