[Request] Flashrom help to add chip W25X05CL

Hi,

Product number : W25X05CLSNIG - Top side marking : 25X05CLNIG - OS used : Linux UBUNTU

I would like to add support in "flaships.c" for my Winbond Serial NOR Flash W25X05CL with the base start of the W25X10CL input :

.vendor		= "Winbond",
.name = "W25X10",
.bustype = BUS_SPI,
.manufacture_id = WINBOND_NEX_ID,
.model_id = WINBOND_NEX_W25X10,
.total_size = 128,
.page_size = 256,
.feature_bits = FEATURE_WRSR_WREN,
.tested = TEST_OK_PREW,
.probe = probe_spi_rdid,
.probe_timing = TIMING_ZERO,
.block_erasers =
{
{
.eraseblocks = { {4 * 1024, 32} },
.block_erase = spi_block_erase_20,
}, {
.eraseblocks = { {64 * 1024, 2} },
.block_erase = spi_block_erase_d8,
}, {
.eraseblocks = { {128 * 1024, 1} },
.block_erase = spi_block_erase_c7,
}
},
.printlock = spi_prettyprint_status_register_plain, /* TODO: improve */
.unlock = spi_disable_blockprotect,
.write = spi_chip_write_256,
.read = spi_chip_read,
.voltage = {2700, 3600},

Is it normal they didn't add the instruction byte 52 (Block Erase - 32KB) ?

- To add to "flashchips.h" :

#define WINBOND_NEX_W25X05 ----> 0x3010

- May be this code line can be improved to (Chip lock status function) :

.printlock	= spi_prettyprint_status_register_bp1_srwd,

If @CodeRush can help or anyone would be great.

Thanx

Adding/reviewing a new flash chip

W25X10CL Datasheet

W25X05CL Datasheet

flashrom_1.1.orig.rar (455 KB)

Finally I ordered a Flashcat programmer (no more china crap anymore). This thread can be locked or deleted. Thanx.

@Svan - Or, do you want me to move this to the flashrom thread, where someone might actually see it that can offer advice/help for the next user wanting to do that?

China crap is same, Flashcat made in China too probably but maybe assembled (Put a sticker on it, or put in box) in other country.

The real issue here is flashrom software, with your chipa china crap, maybe best to use other software (general CH341A software or ASProgrammer)
I found 25X05 and 25X05CL in ASProgrammer 1.40, so that should work fine as-is without having to edit anything.

@Lost_N_BIOS

No don’t worry buddy thanx for your post.

The problem with ASProgrammer is that you don’t have an auto detect. So you never know if you connected well on the chip. I tried like 20 times and reading gave me sometimes some results (No FF or blank everywhere).
When I saved those tries to a file it was a size of 64kb . With this programm you can be not connected well to the chip and he gonna let you think that you are. It’s a big problem for no experienced users.

Flashcat is may be produced somewhere in Asia. But the company is fully american in Oregon. The software is updated all the time (last update in july 2019). I can switch voltage for more security.
It can auto detect your chip so at least you sure you well connected on the chip. And very important my chip is fully supported.

To much bonus for me since it’s the 1st time on that kind of stuff. Will get it in about 2 weeks.

Greetings.

Really! I thought ASProgrammer did detect, or showed connected sign etc? I’ll pay more attention next time and see
Yes, I think it automatically shows up once detected - at least shows some IC in bold. I checked, you’re right, I never noticed, always just picked the IC and away I go, if all FF then I know to reclamp
If you save wrong size, then maybe wrong chip size set in app, on those times you are seeing data. Hard to say, sorry I don’t have any of these chips to test with and see maybe what’s going on

I know what you mean, better to have something you can easily use and that you know is 100% compatible, at least for this odd BIOS chip.