[Request] GA-X79-UD3 Rev1.0 modded Bios with NVMe Support

Intel ME has nothing to do with the “base” NVMe mod that users do according Fernando’s guide.
NVMe mod works in AHCI or RAID mode.
A standard Win 10 installation method on the NVMe drive is pretty easy and have been done by hundreds of users on this forum with X79 boards…no special issues reported.
Bios set to PURE UEFI, AHCI mode (or when setting RAID, Samsung Magician will not work), GPU UEFI compat., USB UEFI x64 OS, single NVMe drive only connected when installing and upon OS Setup, on drive destination the NVMe will be visible, and finish the installation, the system will reboot now from the newly UEFI OS from the NVMe drive. Reconnect other drives later on.
Dont know who is “Gantrithor” or the source of the file…not going to loose time on it…

Steps and guidance on Fernando’s guide, point #4: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Special Topics / NVMe Support for old Systems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Intel MEInterface driver for windows here in point#D1: Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com) MEI Drivers and Software v11.0.6.1194 includes MEI v11.0.5.1189

MeatWar

Thanks for your response

To summarize my problem After installing mod bios, with a bios hardware boot error screen, I did successfuly install Win 10 to my NVME drive the first try using a UEFI USB stick but I had a PCI simple communications device error with new win 10 install. I booted into my old drive that has a UEFI dual boot win7 and win10. Both OS’s had an Intel Management Engine Interface error cannot start. I Uninstalled mod bios back to my backup F20 and reinstalled mod bios and the same error on NVME drive.

I reinstalled F20 bios and can no longer boot to a UEFI Win 10 device including my UEFI Win10 SSD, a UEFI Win10 USB or a UEFI Win10 CD without a quick BSOD (kmode exception not handled). I also changed my bios battery.

I can however boot to my UEFI SSD Win 7 with no problems. I don’t know if this is related to IME or my bios or not but I cannot figure out whats wrong, it’s not a windows error, I just can’t boot a UEFI Win10 device without 2 seconds of spinning blue circle followed by BSOD.

If in the regular OEM bios or the mod (Even with defaults loaded), you cant boot a USB UEFI OS installer, then something is not correct in OS image or USB preparation, besides that i cant see any other issue, or an HW issue if the system runs stable on your old windows 7 OS, regarding hw like gpu, ram or disks health.
An MEi issue in low level hw usually as a symptom of non-displaying ME version in bios, if its showing the version then its ok.

1 Like

MeatWar

Thank you for your help, you are correct. I checked my UEFI USB installer and all is fine. I set the Intel SATA mode to none in the bios and I could boot to the UEFI USB. If I set the Intel SATA to either RAID or AHCI, with my dual boot drive attached the installer gets a BSOD within a few seconds. I then disconnected my drive and left Intel SATA (RAID or AHCI) on and The USB boots fine. The UEFI USB installer must take a quick look at something on the OS drive (Win10 bootloader?) and doesn’t like it.

Previous to my bios mods and Win10 install to my NVME I would boot up to an option screen for Win10 or Win7(default) with a 3 second delay. The option screen is still in place but no go for Win10. Something I did changed that.
As I cannot get to a Windows Recovery Environment to attempt to fix the bootloader, with my OS drive attached, do you know if I can attempt repairs to the Win 10 partition while in a Win 7 dos prompt diskpart. My Win10 partition is very clear in Win7, they switch drive letters with drive C being the current OS I am in. I could even delete the Win10 partition while in Win7 but I have never done that in reverse. I created the partition with a Win7 install first and then a shrink volume to create space for a Win10 install. I don’t want to lose my Win7 install right now but I don’t care about losing Win10 and reinstalling it.

Ok but i dont know what disk you have for all that…win7 and 10, or multiples disks, how was set before, as RAID as IDE as SATA AHCI, as MBR or GPT, legacy or uefi bios settings, then upon selection made the windows drivers are not the same and then the system gets BSODs, etc…a mess, this is all small but critical details that matters about in all your attempts, success and fails and how a user intends to have is system. Its too much details for give a full description in all situations and possible configurations.
The problems you have in OSes its the consequences of having multiple OS on the same disk, not recommended as you can see now.
General recommendation is Win 10 OS in NVMe, and other OSes and storage in separate disks so each OS have their own partitions to manage and not interfere with OSes present.

any chance some can upload the v1.0 bios mod please

@desray2000
The BIOS for the GA-X79-UD3 Rev. 1.0, which had been modded by Lost_N_BIOS and uploaded in September 2019, is not available anymore and cannot be recovered.
Since our retired BIOS Guru Lost_N_BIOS has not been online for a very long time, I have modded the original F20 BIOS myself by inserting the NVMe module named NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs.

You can flash the attached BIOS at own risk by following >this< Guide. Good luck!
To be able to get Win10/11 installed onto an NVMe SSD, please follow “Step4” of >this< Guide.
X79UD3F20_modbyfern.rar (3.6 MB)

Thank you very much this worked great and booting from my nvme no problems

1 Like