[Request] How to boost the performance of a Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 by BIOS modding?

@PitKoz :
Lost_N_BIOS is right - it is not easy to help you, because you have written several posts about the same topic into different threads and added a lot of additional wishes, which had nothing to do with the original thread title.
To make it easier for you and the other visitors of this Forum to find all your contributions about this topic, I have merged all your recent posts (and the related replies) into this already existing thread and gave it a more meaningful title.
If you are not satisfied with the new title, you can change it at every time by editing the start post of this thread.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I hope, that you agree with me.

@PitKoz - Pprobably all deficiencies you notice can be attributed to Spectre/Meltdown patches (CPU microcodes), possibly some due to ME FW but microcodes biggest culprit to fix those security bugs.
This is commonly reported across the board, affecting lots of things with all these patches on all models. The only updateable network module in the BIOS is for Wake on LAN / PXE usage, and this is the same version in F6 and F8 for both Atheros and Killer

I don’t know what you mean about Intel 5 series? If you give me a CPU model I could tell you if it’s compatible or not.

There is no NVME BIOS settings, so yes, I go misunderstand you Some BIOS you might see NVME by name in BIOS after NVME Mod, in boot priority section/list, but generally this says PATA SS or Windows Boot Loader or something like that.

Yes, you can go back to F6 if you wanted, but I do suggest you don’t, but it’s your board so up to you. I could instead, put the microcodes from F6 into F8, that’s what’s causing you performance losses

Since you have too many posts in separate threads, and it’s all very confusing to me, even in this one thread I am confused, due to your posting style
Please make an exact list of what you want done, to what BIOS, and I will do that. Please do not use Mega file host, it’s terrible for me (never loads).
Plus, I do not need file from you yet until I ask, if I ask. I would use stock BIOS if you flash from Qflash, only if you wanted to downgrade BIOS would I have you dump entire BIOS with FPT and send me that instead.

I just noticed your thread title here best way to do that is to overclock the system, with a nice water cooler installed

@Fernando - That’s too funny! now it will be even worse, if that’s a possibility
Please edit your posts if no one has replied yet and you need to add more thoughts J/K
That’s why I didn’t do this, and try to only do it on a very limited basis - keeps me sane

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Which ones of my posts shall I edit and in which way?
Do you think, that the situation before having merged PitKoz’s posts (and the related replies) was better?
PitKoz has the ability to blow up each thread and to write his ideas and replies about a similar topic into more than 1 single thread. That is why I thought, that it would be a good idea to put all his wishes and replies into the thread he had started himself and to give it a title, which covers all of them.

EDIT: Due to the above mentioned reasons I was even thinking about a movement of PitKoz’s posts and the related replies about the topic “How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS” into this one.

sorry, I am on so may subject now due to business start… I know I am lost here in this forum, my deep apologies.
This would be nice to have one place for all, but it is not the case as we started from NVMe visibility than we went to upgrade Bios which is a failure, now we have bios modification for F6 … I know this is bad…
Again sorry, and I am the only one with this board MoBo… so no previous records…

-------------------------------------------------

last and F7 BIOS allowed to put in this board 5th series of intel. F6 is limited to 4th series only this information is from a description of ver of BIOS from Gigabyte.

------------------------------------------------

Since now I will post only here.
Will it be OK for you?

was trying to edit with a new quote but it does not allow me to add quote during editing.

-------------------------------------------------

^ "these which"^
If you say so I will go for it.

I see now Marvel Sata (secondary SATA onboard) recognizing disks as SATA3 6gb and performance in HD Tune Pro is 1.33 GB…

So if there is a possibility to put back some of the questionable changes in F7 and F8 back to F6 state it will be great!!!

I noticed firmware change for network card as it has appeared as new hardware after F8 Bios flashing.

So that’s for now…

Thank you for your patience…
just to visualize where am I: only for today from the morning: 4 documents in Autocad, some letters,
plenty chat with china as their translators prevent from clear conversations,
and today my phone first time in its life used all battery power in half-day…
I am really in a rush and on the move… and dependant on this PC…
That’s why it is so important to me.

So forgive me any inconvenience please.

---------------------------------------------

LOST_N_BIOS this is really funny notice :slight_smile:
liquid carbo-bi-oxidate would be even better :slight_smile:

I love it :slight_smile:
--------------------------------------

This would be good advice, how is it in relation to the original module in F8 BIOS from Gigabyte v13.5.0.2164?

F8 system raid.jpg

this is current IRST state.
Drivers and software are easy to change.
Need only de-installation first.

--------------------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS I have edited posts.

@PitKoz - Doesn’t look like it, I see x7 separate replies to yourself in a row here Merging

It’s not about how many topics you discuss that’s confusing, it’s how you posted in several threads at once covering multiple topics, and then on top of that your posting style, is what makes things confusing (multiple split replies, quotes etc)

As mentioned previously, series xx or series xxx Intel CPU does not tell me anything, you’d have to be specific with models before I could answer any questions you may have about that.
Those warnings about CPU or BIOS versions on the BIOS download page are meant for general public, in normal situations, using stock methods.
Here, with mod BIOS, we can do whatever you want, with whatever CPU or BIOS version. We are not tied to whatever you read about any BIOS version on the Gigabyte site.

You can edit a quote into a post on edit, open a new reply/quote in another tab, then copy/paste back to what you are editing.
Think outside the box, as much as you reply, I would expect this idea to come to you naturally

Your comment about Marvell makes no sense to me, Marvell is supposed to be 6Gb/s, sounds correct so I don’t know what you are saying there.

I don’t know about 13.5 vs 13.2, you’d have to look in the threads and see if Fernando posted any testing results comparing those two.
I don’t know which is better of 13.2 or 13.5 BIOS modules, if it was me I always install latest possible unless there is some known obvious issue the public has mentioned.

@Fernado - I was only joking around Since we’ve been trying to ask Pitkoz to edit his posts, then I look up and you had two in a row, so I was hoping you’d find my comment amusing too.
You were possibly mid-edit when I wrote that even, I just had to laugh when I saw it, and thought you might find it funny too
As for his posts, and the merging etc, in this case I don’t think it could get anymore confusing, be it a single topic or 10, it’s a mess due to al the posts and how he replies, so I don’t think you could make it anymore confusing if you tried.
I’m still waiting on clarify here, as you know if there was any I’d have already posted a BIOS by now

:slight_smile: I have posted several posts in a row as I can not add quote during editing. IDK why. I am using Nightly and I did report to dev team this already.
… the style is chatting like… I do not like it as well but it is caused per the above explanation.

About Marvel: its performance is as low as IRST both are not working OK. Test Disk was before about 4.5 - 5 now is slightly above 1.
IRST is never full speed to me. But I got used to it. It keeps about 1.5 for RAID 1 Matrix disregarding completely the HDD potential speed and really discovered parameters.

I was wondering if 15 series OROM can be implemented but got this answer.

So this answer is correct direction to go:

as my dev-ids are:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_B0051458
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
and chipset is Z97X

I would opt for these version of OROM and compatible with it NVMe part of it

And the second option:

I do not have the proper knowledge to decide which one to go, as if we change OROM and NVM Bios one of them should be implemented. Maybe Fernando can say the last word for it here.
I am lost with these options as can not understand differences between them, I can but not really know if I need them or not, if trim works in Raid 1 ?.

Or last option: Quickest, leave all OROM and NVMe BIOS modules as they already are in F8 and change only Microcodes for CPU causing performance problems.

And now, the last question, I do not understand, but it is already in F8 BIOS, why after Upgrade from F6 to F8 if the firmware was not changed, the Network Card has changed Dev-id and was recognized as different Hardware.

This is now done, I could not finish at the time.
Was going for an important meeting. and did not finish those lines.

So can we proceed with this version of the scenario after a final word from Fernando, and mod F8 to custom and see the performance upgrade?

Anyway, I am happy that the PC so far is not refusing cooperation with me.

Thanks.

Getting better now @PitKoz - now, next time all you have to do is edit your post first, instead of making a new reply and then thinking to edit after you post it Thank you!

You can edit and quote, whatever you want to quote do from a new tab, and then copy paste back over to the tab you are editing. Or better yet, stop quoting stuff, it’s not necessary.
This has nothing to do with what browser you are using, you just don’t have enough tabs open, you can’t do it all at once in same tab.

Performance, across the board, is due to the Spectre/Meltdown patches in the updated CPU mcirocodes, as I mentioned several times already.
None of this has to do with BIOS modules, you wont notice any obvious difference between those modules and different versions.

About 15 series comment, that doesn’t make sense, you didn’t give your text of “I got this answer” and the link provided is a driver thread link (unrelated to BIOS modules, and not linked to any single post or comment etc)

Sorry, No, I don’t think we can proceed with anything yet. The only thing I know for sure is you want old CPU mircocodes into new F8 BIOS, rest is still huge unknown to me or I would have made you BIOS already.

This is a thread within the Sub-Forum named "Specific: Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers", but not an answer to your question.
All Intel OROM related questions are answered within >this< thread, which belongs to the Sub-Forum named "BIOS modules (PCI ROM, EFI and others)".
By the way: The question whether a certain BIOS module can be implemented into a certain BIOS, is absolutely irrelevant, because a successful implementation doesn’t mean, that the implemented module will properly work.

UPDATED main inquiry posted.

I would like what was changed in this BIOS what made it change hardware recognition for the network card in win systems

For me, implementation means: can be written and will work in the system. this two stages, I know that anything can be written to BIOS even virus, or funny screen notes like "I love you" or "you gonna die now", so implementation suggests that it is successfully inserted/written to and response/works properly in the System. This is a question of semantic.

Why did you start a new thread?
Didn’t you promise, that you would post all your questions and comments into this thread, which has been started by yourself?

Just was curious what is happening with the corporation’s plots and how it influences the Computer industry.
And this question is completely not related to the proper setting for this MoBo.
Possibly it shall go to “offtopic”, general discussion or somewhere else,
I am now after 19 h shift… sorry for the inconvenience,
Goodnight.

https://www.win-unattended.de/Benutzer/F…od-acc-CPL0.rar

Hi all,
LOST_N_BIOS
Please proceed with this kind request (if there is an error just let me know):

1. Please use the BIOS from the file, not from general Gigabyte support.
    Maybe I am too much cautious but Taiwan server 2 is available only through a direct update in the system at @BIOS application. Maybe it is not different to general edition offered.
    But I believe it is.
    https://mega.nz/#!St0RXIaS!KRSuS8J__fMts…rEOggxyvmHyV0pw
  2. IRST OROM slightly modified in comparison to this one which is already in F8 BIOS:

3. NVMe module as it is in F8 BIOS (v13.5.0.2164)
  4. Replace microcodes causing problems the way you explained in the earlier post.
  5. Disable IME/IMT for CPU as you said "proper way" according to your extensive knowledge about this subject.

Thank you in advance,
Peter

EDIT by Fernando: Text re-formatted (for better readability)

[quote="PitKoz"] EDIT by Fernando: Text re-formatted (for better readability) [/quote] Thanks, Fernando, I am not sure yet about NVMe module v.code... how to read it in the system?
And how to upload file in www.win-unattended.de ? I can understand a little German, but have a problem with finding the way, is it possible at all? I have already registered myself to this forum for the purpose that LOST_N_BIOS can not access MEGA.

Peter

What has the NVMe BIOS module to do with the Intel RST RAID ROM v13.5.0.2164?
If you want to know the version of the currently in-use Intel RAID ROM module of your mainboard BIOS, you should hit CTRL+I while booting or enter the BIOS and click onto the point "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology", which may be listed within the "Storage Configuration" section.

You can only download files from my personal account at the Server of Win-unattended.de (by simply clicking onto the download link), but you cannot upload files into it.

@PitKoz , I will use stock BIOS, you flash with Qflash only (And FPT for ME downgrade, if necessary later). Taiwan Server 2 has nothing to do with anything here.
@BIOS should not be used for any BIOS flashes, except ones where you are forced to use it due to Qflash application update, and even in those cases I suggest you flash from DOS Instead.
There is no NVME Module in BIOS v13.5.0.2164 - only standard AMI NVME Module, but this is given, no NVME Mod needed since BIOS is NVME compatible from the start
I don’t need any files uploaded, I already have these BIOS files.

So, to re-summarize, you want F8 BIOS, with microcodes from F6 BIOS.
RSTe 13.5.0.2164 TRIM & and I assume EFI 13.5.0.2164, but not sure if you want RST or RSTe (and are you sure, you want oRom RSTe = so RSTe for both, none RST?)
Disable ME

I am using RAID 1 in this config with classical SATA3 6gb hard disks, I see there is a chance to get the full Trim ability.
so do I need RSTe or RST? Will RSTe make problem with HDD? or will be fully compatible?
I know for now, that I have to disable raid for SSD to make it visible. So probably this what I have now is not compatible with RSTe.
Let’s try RSTe, but if you can send me as well the bios for return to this what I have now, or it is not needed as I can flashback to standard F8 Gigabyte without any problems?

@PitKoz :
The TRIM in RAID modded Intel RST RAID modules only support RAID0 arrays, but no Raid1 ones.

Are single HDD disks supported also?

Good to know, I am using RAID 1 or 5 for 20+ years, with SCSI from Adaptec, it is more/was more simple with SCSI, my Adaptec controller with 2 TB in 4 RAID 5 with old archives is still present on my former Workstation I use it as well for printing, as XP drivers for printers are superb to nowadays Microsoft limited drivers for big format printing, and speed for this "Disks" is 3.6 GB solid so sometimes quicker than contemporary machines.
15 years old, fully working PC with XP and Windows 7 32 bit pair of Xeon 4.6GHZ ;).
For my case, the security of data is the major and first priority, I can not lose my archives nor project files I am working with.

Supported by what/whom?

Supported by what/whom?

Are single disks HDD supported by Trim?

Yes, if the related storage driver supports TRIM.
These are the details regarding the Intel AHCI/RAID drivers:

1. All Intel RST drivers do support TRIM, no matter whether the Intel SATA Controller is running in AHCI or RAID mode (exception: SSDs, which are members of an Intel RAID array).
  2. The original Intel RST drivers and RAID OROM modules from v11.x.x.xxxx up let the TRIM command pass through the Intel RAID Controller even to the members of an Intel RAID0 array, but only for newer Intel chipsets from 7-Series up.
  3. Older Intel RAID systems up to 6-Series and X79 chipsets can get TRIM in RAID0 support by inserting a TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM/RaidDriver module into the mainboard BIOS.