[Request] How to boost the performance of a Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 by BIOS modding?

Thank you LNB this is how it is configured now :

actual system.jpg

so is there anything we can improve?

and so far except interaction with Malwarebytes
everything is OK.

I am testing moved systems to SSD
so will have more to say after time,

Best regards.

Peter

-

I have problem with tracing my posts, is there such option in account see my posts listed?

@PitKoz :
Since
a) the update or “downgrade” of an Intel RAID BIOS module is a very simple task and can be done easily by using the UBU tool and
b) the best/latest Intel RAID BIOS modules can be found >here< (Intel RAID Option ROMs) and >here< (Intel EFI “RaidDrivers”),
it is not easy to understand why you started a new thread about your specific Intel RAID OROM update project and additionally absorb Lost_N_BIOS’s and my absolutely limited free time by a lot of useless posts.

Here is my comment:

1. Only Intel chipset systems, whose Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode, need and will use the related Intel RAID Option ROM resp. EFI “RaidDriver” module of the BIOS.
  2. It doesn’t matter at all, whether the Intel RAID Option ROM and the EFI “RaidDriver” modules have the same or a different version, because only one of them can be used by the related Intel RAID system (depending on the chosen boot method “Legacy” or “UEFI”).
  3. Although the impact of the used Intel RAID BIOS module version on the performance of an Intel RAID system is very little, it is a good idea for Intel RAID systems to use a “matching” Intel RAID driver/BIOS module combo. That means, that both of them should belong to the same Intel RST platform (e.g. v13 or v15) and - if possible - to the same development branch (e.g. v13.2 or v15.9). To avoid any boot problem it is not a good idea to update the Intel RAID BIOS module to a higher RST platform than the RST platform of the Intel RAID driver, which is used by the OS.
  4. Before looking for the best matching Intel RAID ROM or EFI RaidDriver version for your specific Intel RAID system, you should make sure, which Intel RAID driver version is the “best” for your old Z97 chipset system. According to my own benchmark comparison tests done with different Intel RAID0 systems I really doubt, that it is the currently latest available Intel RST(e) driver v15.9.8.1050.

I am sorry, will not happen again I was all this time half-conscious due to "karoshi" moments and big stress.
Now almost all sorted in my RL.
So will be more reliable member :slight_smile:

Peter

PS.:
so finally we go for 13.edition of drivers and OROM.
thanks.

PWK

Off-topic:
@PitKoz :
You can change the text of all your posts after having hit the "Edit" button. That means, that you can add missing parts or delete unneeded parts of any previously written post yourself.
What you cannot do yourself is the complete delition of a post. This has to be done by a Mod or Admin, but will happen very soon, if the only remained word within a certain post is "deleted".

my question was how can I see all list of posts placed by me… on Bios-Mods there is kind of UserCP where I can see all listed…
was asking if there is something similar.
Thanks

added:
I have removed misleading stuff from this thread, will check other threads soon.

PWK

@PitKoz - As I mentioned, I have no comment or knowledge on drivers you use, so that information does not help me to help you. Drivers and BIOS modules/ROM’s are not same thing at all.
When I said to edit your post instead of making several in a row, I mean, once you reply, then go to reply again on same topic and no one has replied yet but you, and you see your previous post right there…
There, stop, don’t reply again, read your post your about to post again after, but instead of new reply, edit that post you just made >> Edit button is over here on your replies >>
It’s not about misleading or wrong posts, it’s only about many posts in a row by you within same few minutes or same day, and no one has replied yet. No need to another reply, all you have to do is edit your previous post and add your new comment, question, info etc

If you want to see all your recent comments click on your name <<< by avatar, they will show up on your profile on the right, all recent comments and which threads etc.

In this case I recommend to let the currently present v13 platform Intel RAID BIOS modules untouched.
The expected benefit of a "downgrade" to v13.2 series RAID BIOS modules is not worth the efforts and risks of a new BIOS modding and flashing procedure.

karoshi << Sounds like good $$ at least, I hope!! Time for Sake or a smooth bourbon

From what Fernando said above, I think you should use V15 drivers and I will put V15 in your BIOS. * Edit, ohh, so confusing here… I guess I read Fernando’s comment wrong
Yes, if you stick with, or can only use V13 drivers, you already have V13.5 in BIOS, I’m not sure if latest or not you’d have to check in the links I gave vs info above (I didn’t look)
* Edit, I checked, you have the latest V13 in BIOS already, so after all that, you’re already set

We gotta fix these smilies

OK done and understood :slight_smile:
------------------------

So when I flash new BIOS, I will uninstall IRST 15 and install 13.x.xxxx

according to the current state:
or install it now?
before flashing?

actual system.jpg

@PitKoz :
According to what Lost_N_BIOS has written the latest original BIOS for your mainboard contains the Intel RAID ROM and EFI "RaidDriver" modules v13.5.0.2164, whereas your inserted picture proves, that the currently loaded Intel RAID OROM is v13.0.0.2075.
Are you still using an outdated mainboard BIOS? If yes, why?

Let us go for RST OROM AS IT IS, as far as I understand, anyway I did not check, but it does not matter as SSD is not in a raid configuration. And Raid for it is even disabled in BIOS.
With enabled, is not visible to the system.
I am now set to boot only all UEFI and peripherals also, all main hardware is compatible…

I see some not correct but also not critical behaviors with an onboard net card from Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

---------------------------------

This was because this BIOS F7 and F8 were to be flashed from the original Gigabyte source under condition "irreversible upgrade"!!
I was not sure where am I about it at the beginning of making NVMx working in my hardware config.
To make it at least visible to BIOS :slight_smile: but this we did a while ago and PC is running smoothly.
So basically that was the reason.

Now all clear :slight_smile:

here we go (we have already last in F8 Bios from Manufacturer matching:
Intel RAID ROM/EFI BIOS modules: v13.5.0.2164/v13.5.0.2164)

(BTW: Was this EFI code was this what I inserted to F6? and using now?)

IME disabled and not in separate files and that’s it?

All set… whoahoa!!!,

This is nice!!!

!!!Already downloaded drivers,
shall I change drivers before or after flashing!!!

and thanks again…

Both of you Fernando and "LOST in BIOS" :slight_smile:

About karoshi:
When you restart business and have so many years brake, there is so much to do especially with moving all spread stored tools machinery and materials this is not even comparable with moving house… and there is too much physical job to be done… driving and work outside, Ireland is not really nice climate and environment, we here still standing with cookies and waiting like this girl

Romans named Ireland Hibernia and escaped from there instantly…so all is going really harder than in other countries I was living before. Dealing with Chinese suppliers is a kind of art and time you can talk to them is when normally we have sleep time. same with America… therefrom is karoshi :slight_smile: but I am almost done with the initial stage. Now need good stable pc to design flyers posters signage and send it to my Friend Print House in Padova to be done :slight_smile: Italy rules in printing stuff :slight_smile:

Same time work on papers documents contracts… but I like it so can not sleep not eat but must drink coffee and eat vitamins… sounds like rat race… but it is not…

I hope we meet sometimes in Germany on my way and will have some real beer like Schumacher Alt or similar good in flip-flap bottle local beer :slight_smile: some stronger stuff also welcome :slight_smile:

Update:

flashed F8,

new firmware for the network card, Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller #2

Intell drivers and software ver 13.2 error on installation, decided 15.1 from Gigabyte.
I will update to 15.9 as it was before.

Update:
this does not work, after this flash and with these drivers SATA RAID disks slowed to 30% previous speed…

@Lost_N_BIOS

as per above can you downgrade in version F8 OROM and remove this INTEL MANAGEMENT, please.

or change F6, modded by me for NVMx,

1/. the intel network card firmware (It works better) in the system it appeared as new hardware.,
and
2/. remove IME, please.

We need to experiment more, the performance of SATA RAID is now not acceptable… in raid 1 it is about 300.0 KB/s …QQ

I did not test NVMe yet, too busy cleaning/rearranging storage partitions on the system, but system is really slow now.

Thanks,
Peter vel PitKoz :slight_smile:

Seems this was the right concept not go for F8, but as LNB said all is manageable and he has enough knowledge to change modules to make them work swiftly back.,
New BIOS is like 30% performance comparing to the old module for Raid-1 RST Matrixes, if Efi OROM is this one I have implemented in F6 BIOS so OK but I can’t check it…

And please disable IMT.

This can be tested and results posted from analyzed.

@PitKoz - please stop posting about this in multiple locations, it’s getting very confusing. Thanks
Your current latest BIOS you linked me to contains what I mentioned above (ie 13.5), not 13.0 you mentioned. However, yes, if you are still on that old BIOS, then there’s your answer on this.
You can use RAID Mode with single disk, if you want, but that is up to you. New BIOS differences may be due to CPU microcode and ME changes, if you like 13.0 better than 13.5 in new BIOS, it may only be those security upgrades in the new BIOS hitting performance, not the 13.0 vs 13.5, so 13.5 still could be valid test or improvement inserted into older BIOS.
Hope you get what I mean, the bad performance you see may not be the 13.5 module at all, but rather the security fixes as this is a common report with those bugfixes (Spectre/Meltdown patches)
New BIOS with old 13.0 will probably perform the same due to this, further clarifying what I mean.

You cannot make NVME visible? Not sure what you mean there?

Anyway, please pick a single thread, and carry on there, jumping back and forth is getting bad here.

I am on F8 BIOS now.
The F6 modified by myself with “HOW TO MAKE NVMe visible…” instruction
was performing much better, with one exception: network card.
So I was wondering if it is possible to put new firmware for Killer E220 gigabit EC in it and disable IME

All in F6 BIOS and return to it?
(You said it is possible)

This is my dream…

(and somewhere I commented already that new bios introducing Intel 5 series to this board
must be a mistake… or even worse … diversion.)

“You cannot make NVME visible? Not sure what you mean there?”
not at all… this you misunderstood.
I can, and there is such topic/thread in this forum… this was a direction/address to module I had taken from and implemented in F6 bios.

Regards,
Peter

This is my F6 BIOS we can start from.

https://mega.nz/#!W01TgQaK!EkGFci3hMxWS5…KY36ILNEGsGQs0g

The "bad performance" of your system after having flashed the newer F8 BIOS has nothing to do with the version of its Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver version.

@PitKoz :
Lost_N_BIOS is right - it is not easy to help you, because you have written several posts about the same topic into different threads and added a lot of additional wishes, which had nothing to do with the original thread title.
To make it easier for you and the other visitors of this Forum to find all your contributions about this topic, I have merged all your recent posts (and the related replies) into this already existing thread and gave it a more meaningful title.
If you are not satisfied with the new title, you can change it at every time by editing the start post of this thread.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I hope, that you agree with me.

@PitKoz - Pprobably all deficiencies you notice can be attributed to Spectre/Meltdown patches (CPU microcodes), possibly some due to ME FW but microcodes biggest culprit to fix those security bugs.
This is commonly reported across the board, affecting lots of things with all these patches on all models. The only updateable network module in the BIOS is for Wake on LAN / PXE usage, and this is the same version in F6 and F8 for both Atheros and Killer

I don’t know what you mean about Intel 5 series? If you give me a CPU model I could tell you if it’s compatible or not.

There is no NVME BIOS settings, so yes, I go misunderstand you Some BIOS you might see NVME by name in BIOS after NVME Mod, in boot priority section/list, but generally this says PATA SS or Windows Boot Loader or something like that.

Yes, you can go back to F6 if you wanted, but I do suggest you don’t, but it’s your board so up to you. I could instead, put the microcodes from F6 into F8, that’s what’s causing you performance losses

Since you have too many posts in separate threads, and it’s all very confusing to me, even in this one thread I am confused, due to your posting style
Please make an exact list of what you want done, to what BIOS, and I will do that. Please do not use Mega file host, it’s terrible for me (never loads).
Plus, I do not need file from you yet until I ask, if I ask. I would use stock BIOS if you flash from Qflash, only if you wanted to downgrade BIOS would I have you dump entire BIOS with FPT and send me that instead.

I just noticed your thread title here best way to do that is to overclock the system, with a nice water cooler installed

@Fernando - That’s too funny! now it will be even worse, if that’s a possibility
Please edit your posts if no one has replied yet and you need to add more thoughts J/K
That’s why I didn’t do this, and try to only do it on a very limited basis - keeps me sane

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Which ones of my posts shall I edit and in which way?
Do you think, that the situation before having merged PitKoz’s posts (and the related replies) was better?
PitKoz has the ability to blow up each thread and to write his ideas and replies about a similar topic into more than 1 single thread. That is why I thought, that it would be a good idea to put all his wishes and replies into the thread he had started himself and to give it a title, which covers all of them.

EDIT: Due to the above mentioned reasons I was even thinking about a movement of PitKoz’s posts and the related replies about the topic “How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS” into this one.