[Request] How to create an Intel RST VMD RAID Array?

Not sure which forum I need to ask in but here is my question

I have a Lenovo Legion 9i Laptop, it has two NVMe slots. It supports VMD, but when enabled I can’t find anywhere in the BIOS to actually create a RAID set.

Is that something a BIOS mod can “enable”?

if not, is it possible to create the raid set on another intel motherboard that does support VMD and RAID 0 or 1 and move it over to the laptop and install OS from there?

Edit by Fernando: Thread moved into a better matching Forum Category and thread title customized

Regarding the system itself and not the title of the post, by Lenovo words, follows

Its not OpRom controlled but by storage controller, the VMD driver, so its OS manageable not in bios.

NVMe SSD PCI device will be invisible when Intel VMD is enabled - Lenovo ThinkSystem - Lenovo Support US

EDIT: Yes the article is related to server but the principle could apply to your model of laptop, regarding VMD. I just wanted to show you some oficial Lenovo statement regarding the possibility to why you cant see any options in bios.
As Fernando pointed, if the system manual configuration doesn’t point to any sub-menu for RAID controller, the answer can be the Lenovo article.

@mbze430
Regarding the required BIOS settings please look into the manual of your Lenovo laptop.
You may be able to create an Intel VMD RAID Array, but why do want to use such configuration as bootable system drive?
Note:

1. You will not realize a noticeable performance boost while doing your work.
  2. Any failure of one of the SSDs will make your laptop unbootable.

unfortunately that link is for their ThinkSystem Workstation/Server.

unfortunately, there is NOTHING in the manual.

And I want RAID 1 as bootable drive

Which settings and options are offered within the “Storage Controllers” section of the BIOS?

It is possible to create the Intel RAID Array from within another compatible system, but this would not solve your problem. You have to find out and execute the required BIOS settings.
If you do not know them, you should ask the Lenovo Support.

According to support they don’t have the RAID configuration options in the BIOS. Confirmed this morning on the Lenovo’s forum. However, several users on the Lenovo Discord server that ordered the same laptop with 2x 1TB from factory it came configured as RAID 0. So some how they are able to do it that way. I just need to know how to do it in RAID 1.

What do you have as options in the bios regarding Fernando’s inquiry?

Anything similar to this?

Here are what in the BIOS

bios video

@mbze430
I cannot read the text of the video.
Please post the text of the options/settings.

After some experimenting. I figured out that you need BOTH nvme drive to be installed before the RAID option is available. If you enable VMD with only one drive, it will NOT give the options to change from RAID or Standard.

For future owners looking to RAID1 or RAID0. Do not worry if you don’t find the RAID option if you have one drive in the laptop. It will appear when you put in the second drive (you also need to enable VMD). It will give you the options to create the RAID.