[Request] How to enable greyed out BIOS options

Hello Fernando…i dont know if i right her in this thread…but can you tell me, if it possible, to unlock outgrayed things in Notebook Bios?
we have a Clevo W740SU, with the newest Bios ( https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/W740SU/ ) but TPM and UEFI Option are grayed out :frowning: but why?
Is ther any possibilities to enable this settings, and optional - to disable those stupid PXE boot ablity from the NIC (this costs some extra boot time :()

@M249 :
Since the UBU tool cannot solve your problem, I have moved your post into this freshly created separate thread.
I hope, that anyone can help you.

Thanks for move :slight_smile:

This Notebook chassis was also used for: System76 Galago UltraPro Haswell Ultrabook, Schenker S413, and Sager NP2740

@M249 - I assume you meant BIOS 1.03.05, correct? Here is unlocked BIOS, I unlocked chipset and made visible PXE boot option (Boot >> Network Stack + Boot >> CSM >> Launch PXE ) so you can enable/disable manually. + All UEFI options there in Boot section
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…420291061159995

TPM may remain disabled until you have TPM device connected, I’m not sure? I’ll set it to be visible. If it remains the same after flash, show me image of this page so I can see how all settings look
If you want full BIOS unlocked, you’ll have to send a zip of all current BIOS pages so I can see what’s visible to you and what’s not.

Hello Lost_N_BIOS, thanks for help :slight_smile:
i flashed you bios, i see some extra functions, but all grayed out :frowning: - now the TPM section is also grayed out (before i can go into TPM menu, but there was all gray, i can only see current settings)
new Chipset-button is empty :frowning:

here some pics
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…176243831665009

@M249 - thanks for the images, I need those to see what you can see, what’s grayed out, etc, so I can change for you.
If TPM section different now, please reflash stock BIOS and show me that sections images how it looks on stock BIOS too, thanks.
On Chipset, great, thanks for this info too. See, I don’t have this system, so I’m blind editing BIOS to enable, and I don’t know what’s already enabled/visible or not, what’s visible but grayed out etc. So your images will help me see all this, then properly enable.
On chipset, I only enabled the tab/section itself, didn’t touch anything inside because sometimes all you have to do is enable the section then all is visible. Obviously not the case for your BIOS, so we’ll do more edits.
I will wait on stock BIOS images for TPM stuff before I do anything else,

No problem :slight_smile:
the weired thing is - in many forums, peoples write with bios newer than 1.03.03 - they can activate UEFI in bios…before there was no option to change this settings…
i can see this UEFI setting - but iam unable to select him…but why?
my Notebook is originaly a german Schenker S413, here the BIOS from it https://www.mysn.de/driver/6_Archiv/SCHENKER_S413/BIOS/
but they must be the same BIOS as the original manufactor (CLEVO, only bios-wallpaper changed i think)…

here the PICs from original BIOS: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…650354679785678

Thanks for stock images @M249 - On the UEFI setting, did you try with GPT partitioned disk, maybe BIOS only make selectable if it detects GPT partitions? That would seem odd, since you might not create that partition until later, but it could be plausible reason for it to not be selectable for you I suppose, if it is for others.
It does seem wrong that it’s visible to you, but not selectable, you’d think they would hide it if they didn’t want you using it. It could be BIOS bug, only later fixed by the newer BIOS version you mention.
And on that note I am using the 1.03.05 - did you flash that version in yet as stock? If not, try now and see if you can enter UEFI section or not, if you can then send me images of this and anything else that differs from previous images you’ve sent, since this is the BIOS I’ll be working on for you.
I would also go ahead and flash in that latest EC too, before or after, whichever is the standard procedure

* Edit - please test this BIOS, same as before, except I undid one change to chipset, I need to know if it’s same blank, contains settings/subsections visible, or now missing - thanks
The change I initially made to TPM shouldn’t have grayed it out, that is why I need to see about this similar change to chipset, if I need to undue something I changed or not before moving forward
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…547726293176134

Quick comment on what I see regarding UEFI Boot option, the way the BIOS is coded this should be grayed out if you select “Other OS” instead of “Win8” on the setting above it (Which is hidden), and that default setting is “Win8” so it shouldn’t be graying out on you anyway since you can’t change it away from default
I’m only talking about the stock BIOS and how the settings are coded to be hidden, grayed out etc and how it relates to the other setting - for this one UEFI Boot option setting. Seems buggy
See, here is the actual code that decides for the UEFI Boot option

UEFI Setting, FormId: 0x4DA {01 86 DA 04 E7 0A}
0x601FE Suppress If {0A 82}
0x60200 True {46 02}
0x60202 Gray Out If {19 82}
0x60204 QuestionId: 0x1D equals value 0x1 {12 06 1D 00 01 00}
0x6020A One Of: UEFI Setting, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x3C4, VarStore: 0x1, QuestionId: 0x4D7, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x0, Step: 0x0 {05 A6 E7 0A E8 0A D7 04 01 00 C4 03 14 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x60230 One Of Option: Others, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 0E E9 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x6023E One Of Option: Windows 8, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default) {09 0E EA 0A 30 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x6024C End One Of {29 02}
0x6024E End If {29 02}
0x60250 End If {29 02}
0x60252 Gray Out If {19 82}
0x60254 QuestionId: 0x4D7 equals value 0x0 {12 86 D7 04 00 00} << This is talking about the above setting, which you can see is Win8 by default (0x1), so should not gray out unless 0x0/Others
0x6025A QuestionId: 0x1D equals value 0x1 {12 06 1D 00 01 00} * Edit < Note added below, this is why it grayed I think!
0x60260 Or {16 02}
0x60262 End {29 02}
0x60264 One Of: UEFI Boot, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x3C5, VarStore: 0x1, QuestionId: 0x4D9, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x0, Step: 0x0 {05 A6 E1 0A E2 0A D9 04 01 00 C5 03 14 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x6028A One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 (default) {09 0E 04 00 30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x60298 One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {09 0E 03 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x602A6 End One Of {29 02}
0x602A8 End If {29 02}

AHH! I see, under what I bolded above, this is also in the grayout reasons >> QuestionId: 0x1D equals value 0x1 {12 06 1D 00 01 00} >> This one is by default 0x1
Due to this, you may not be able to use Non-EFI / Legacy, if your graphics vBIOS does not have a legacy rom on it and only has EFI as would be suggested by this setting lacking the Legacy option (Negatory, I checked, your BIOS has vBIOS EFI and legacy orom both - Haswell only EFI + Haswell/Broadwell Legacy orom)
One Of: VGA Support, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x1B, VarStore: 0x1, QuestionId: 0x1D, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x0, Step: 0x0 {05 A6 5B 0A 5C 0A 1D 00 01 00 1B 00 10 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x3DE78 Default: DefaultId: 0x0, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {5B 0D 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x3DE85 One Of Option: Auto, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 0E 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x3DE93 One Of Option: EFI Driver, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default MFG) {09 0E 64 0A 20 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
0x3DEA1 End One Of {29 02}

Anyway, we’ll get it all sorted and visible for you, just wanted to drop that there for you to look at and see how it looks and seems buggy by default.

I Flashed you chipsettest Bios - but its exactly the same settings as in your 1. modbios :-/ i can see the chipset bar on top -but nothing visible in it :-/
TPM is also unselectable (but visible)

i have also tested the older 1.03.03 bios…i can also see the UEFI settings but unselectable at all :frowning:

slowly i think, my bios have a bad bug in it (or the SuperIO Chip that loads the Bios eeprom on it). On confusion thing is - when i enter the Bios, the system ask me for a password - but i never set a password. i can enter the bios without typeing in a password, only press return and iam in the Bios (crazy…)

the TPM can only disable in Windows OS, but not in Bios…i think its also not normal.

@M249 - Thanks for report back on chipset test, that was what I wanted to know and all I meant to happen. It was only testing if chipset went away or not, that way if not then I can remove extra edit to enable that I did before (x2, when only x1 needed)
That was only edit in that BIOS, just meant to check chipset for me is all.

I didn’t want you to test older BIOS, only newer BIOS, since you said someone mentioned the new one (Newer than 1.03.03 allowing UEFI Selection)

Don’t worry, it’s not BIOS bug, just how they have it all coded out poorly, trying to limit it down too much to certain things.

On the password thing, please explain more, was this on old BIOS too/always an issue, or only in new BIOS I made for you? Is there any text on screen besides "enter password"
Does it occur in the new BIOS stock (not edited by me)? This one >> https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/W740SU/B0305.zip
And, please update to this EC if you have not already, since we’ll be using latest BIOS >> https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/W740SU/E0303.zip

I’ll have BIOS for you to test tonight, almost done editing it - actually, here, please test this and send me images of security (and all submenus) and boot page and any subs inside it now too
Chipset will still be empty for now, didn’t have time to get into that yet, will do tonight once I have images back of the rest of these changes
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…591913610739603

Greetings :slight_smile:
i have flashed our new bios - and i can see a huge more options in the advanced tab :slight_smile: also CPU overclocking (multi, vcore voltages, uncore, RAM frequency,…)but many things on here are also gryed out.
and - UEFI settings are now selectable, and TPM are also selectable and disable :slight_smile:
but i have not testet jet if the options realy works…

the Bios password was already there when i buy this notebook. It was with the original bios that comes with the notebook 1.03.02 and on 1.03.03 and on 1.03.05 and have never gone. I can set a bios password and then i must enter the new bios password when i enter the bios (or boot menu - F7 key during POST up) but when i clear the bios password - this stupid window appears anyway - but i can pass this windows by leave it empty and press enter…i dont know why is it so but it was from the beginning

i made pictures later, i must now going to work…

thanks for you great work :slight_smile:

@M249 - it’s OK about grayed out, we can fix, I just need to see images of which settings are what way and then I can change. So yes, to move forward I need all new images of all BIOS pages once you have time.

About the password, so if you set a “user” password in the BIOS security section, then later clear by entering old set password (actual pass) and then set a new blank “user” Password, this does not make it go away? If not, I will dig around and see if I can find the prompt and disable it.
Wait, is this password only to enter BIOS? If yes, then set Administrator/Supervisor Password to something easy to remember (ie 123) then reboot and enter 123 at BIOS, then go in and change Admin Pass, enter 123, then set new blank one and save. Then reboot, is it gone now?
“User” password is a “power-on+BIOS” type password = is a power on password and must be entered to boot or enter Setup/BIOS
"Admin/Super" password is a “Enter BIOS” only type password = this only limits access to Setup/BIOS and is only asked for when entering Setup/BIOS
Whichever you have bugging you, is the one you need to set a pass on, reboot and then enter it again, then change to new blank one and save.

You’re welcome! Don’t worry, it may take us a while because I need to keep seeing images back-n-forth since I don’t have the system here, but we’ll eventually get it how you want it. And maybe I can stop that password prompt for you too, hopefully

here we go :slight_smile:
ther are realy many options in advanced tab…i have not made a pic from all settings, becouse i only need uefi boot :smiley: but the other options are also nice to have :slight_smile:
and the Password-Bug: yes, its appear only when i enter the bios, or when i enter the boot menu (F7 Key). i cannot change the ssupervisor password- grayed out :frowning:
and when i set a “normal” password and delte him after reboot - the password window appears anyway
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…204184969775787

there are also some options twice/duplicated.

UEFI boot seems to work :slight_smile:

@M249 - please show me images of all submenus and all settings, scroll up/down when necessary, this way in the end we’ll have a proper unlocked BIOS for all to use. I don’t want to do the mod and leave half of it locked
Sounds like we need to unlock Admin/Super pass too, so you can set new, then set blank, and that should resolve this issue. The issue now is caused by the Admin/Super pass, not user, so you can’t fix it by setting user one.
Thanks for heads up on duplicates, I would normally catch those and remove, but thank you for reminding me. For now, until I get more images, I will make 2-3 BIOS for you to try and get this password removed.
By changing only this one option in different ways, it’s quick and easy to do, and will let me know for sure which works best for all the rest so I can do final mod.

Yes, all options should work that I will enable for you, unless something hardware doesn’t support.

* Edit - which submenu is the blank one inside advanced? And so you know, some options like XMP will be grayed out no matter what (I think) if hardware does not support it (ie no XMP profile programmed into your memory)
Also some are not settings, but informational items, so will always be gray too. I didn’t notice anything duplicated, what is duplicated that caught your eye? Ohh! UEFI Boot option I see in two places, other than that I don’t see others

* Edit 2 - here is single BIOS test, check >> Security Page >> Set Supervisor Password - Is it not grayed out anymore, and can you set it to blank and save, then password issue gone?
Please show me image of this single page now too, do you see the textual explanation of the password types? Do you need “Secure Boot Control” (And secure boot mode) enabled too, this is option from this page too, not visible right now
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…919159272121384

i think, its better to make a video from all settings :smiley:

I can with you newest modbios select and theoretical change the supervisor password - but i dont know the current passwort (but i cann enter Bios without enter a passwort in the password window at entering bios ?! confused ) and blank passwort is invalid :confused:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…734755408339006

Video would be fine if it’s easier for you, I can pause at each screen so I can look back at files while editing. Thanks, I will check the video out tonight and try to get a fully unlocked BIOS done for you soon
So, you can set Super password now, but it wont let you put in a blank one? If so, that’s not cool! Did you try setting a simple one, save, reboot back and then try to set back to blank again.
Or, you can’t change it at all due to it wont accept blank one within BIOS as “current pass” to change to new pass? I’ll have to dig around in assembly and see if I can find a way to just disable it from prompting you all together.

Do you have a flash programmer? Maybe this could be fixed by reprogramming a stock BIOS instead of current, did you get this used, thinking maybe some corporate pass was set or something like that.
I googled your model and setup or BIOS password prompt and this is not a standard complaint issue I see people discussing, that’s what made me wonder if maybe this is the case.

i cant set a new passwort, because it need to enter the current password first - but there is no password, but a blank password isnt allowed xD
I have a flash programmer (over Raspberry and Linux) but its not easy to flash a notebook bios externaly (in this case with the W740SU Notebook…)

the password prompt isnt a problem for me, its more like a "optical issue"

I think we can clear it with programmer, but yes, you’d have to open laptop and connect your Pi setup to the chip via SOIC8 test clip to reprogram.
If you don’t mind that password being there, we can forget about this and get on with the BIOS unlock itself. I will start working on that tonight/tomorrow and have new BIOS for you to test soon

On the password still, you know that setting under both password sections at the bottom of the page, something like password prompt (I don’t remember exact setting, not looking now).
This is disabled in all images you’ve sent, yet it prompts you, what if you enable that, does it change anything, can you change super pass then, or after you enable once and reboot and try some changes, then disable it again, does it stop the prompt from coming up?

i cant set a supervisor password :frowning: and i can also not disable this function :frowning:

about the programmer…i havnt a SOIC8 Test Clip :frowning: only a DIL8 socket. Opening the notebook is also not a problem

Sorry for any confusion, I meant the setting under Super and User password fields >> “Password on boot” Enable that, and then reboot, then see if you can set Super password or not, then if not, reboot and disable this again, then reboot… Does it then still ask for password?

If you can’t easily solder and desolder, then you need SOIC8 test clip, they’re $3.50 on ebay. You didn’t mean this BIOS is in a DIP8 socket did you, I assume not since it’s notebook?
Or did you mean your programmer only has the standard DIP8 socket? If yes, that, then you need SOIC8 test clip