[Request] HowTo RollBack to an older HP Insyde BIOS

BIOS version F.51. Binary files extraction is one of the selectables.
You can follow this procedure to perform downgrade.

hello there
Sorry to reply that late!
It seems like I can’t join pictures in a reply because I’m a new user ( they said put them in an embedded form) further would you please give me more details about how to proceed about your patched tool? like a step by step for I’m a bit of an average pc user
Note : I got a message saying " the system bios rollback failed … unable to open bios signature file!"
I really appreciate your help!

Initially, you should obtain a BIOS file version you want to rollback to. Get it from “sp96845” file by executing it and choosing the appropriate option. Then use HPFlashWin to install it.
Video-demo without clipping.

Let me know if it worked for you.

ok I’ll test that as soon a possible and keep you posted ! thanks

steps done :
I downloaded your file “sp96845” and executed it with hp bios utility and chose as option “create recovery usb flash drive” and then I clicked on HPFLASHWIN (patched) and got the message telling me to RUN or EXCTRACT ALL
when I chose RUN I got the message " can’t execute the code, for ISCFLASHx64.dll is not found "
else when I chose chose EXTRACT ALL
I got in the folder that resulted from the extract and then I executed the HPFLASHWIN file
the message I got is " there isn’t any ROM file in this directory"

Choose the very last option to save files to directory specified.

Ofcourse you need to extract all files from archive everytime in order to keep them intact to each other. Some executables do not work as standalone apps. When you choose to RUN an archived file, you’re basically copying this file separately, which is incorrect.

Put binary files from “sp96845” in the same dir with HPFlashWin and try again. Make sure the binaries have the .FD extension, so the program could find them.

Thank you so much; it worked!
Yet my CPU is still working at 90% + for no reason I thought It was the bios version F53 that caused that but turns out it was not … note that I made a fresh windows installation and still. Do you happen to have any info about that ?

Check the Windows task manager for a process with high CPU resource utilization.

Alright thanks a bunch!

Hi, I have a similar issue with HP Omen 15-en0029nr. HP Support Assistant recently pushed a BIOS update to F.19 which is apparently problematic and caused several people, including me, BSODs and boot failures (HP even removed it from their drivers page). I wish to downgrade to an earlier BIOS version but whenever I try the ‘Update’ or ‘Rollback’ option within HP UEFI Diagnostic Tool I get an error “Unable to open BIOS signature file”.

I’ve also tried using AMI AfuEfi (and the win version) and got “46 Error: problem getting flash information”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Same problem with HP Omen 15-ek1000, BIOS version F32 got installed and no longer able to downgrade. Update option is disabled, when trying to reflash with usb, i get “Bios signtarure file not found”. What would be the first step to get this downgraded? @Sweet_Kitten

hi ive been using an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-dk1148 for about 3 years.
undervolting was locked by the bios but i could still do it by changing some stuff using a modified grub. But after giving my laptop to a guy to replace my screen, for some reason he updated the bios and now i cant undervolt it. i cant change variables in grub and RU for some reason now. it shows cant write.
i tried downgrading but it shows cant verify signature or something.
Is there any way i could downgrade my bios to a previous version?

Any help would be much apreciated thanks. :smiling_face_with_tear:
new bios files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dygid9OBr2g0sQUBEhBCEwTmEeP0VESy/view?usp=drive_link
old bios files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/140BKVaML8hCnQ8HegZpK5KFA6QZqKyDl/view?usp=drive_link
The exe files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cSkcrsVhK0jRFUVG0zzBsSQA6OoERBuJ/view?usp=drive_link

I am in the exactly same situation as you.
Did you tried this in the same thread?

@Sweet_Kitten Hi, did your method work with higher version of insyde bios? I am try to downgrade f.91 to f.82, f.82 was the last version that doesn’t mention variables protection in changes.

Yes, I think. Try and see.

No problem. But I found a wired thing. I programed backup bin file and did usb bios recovery to fully restore bios(was tried to mod the bios but won’t boot). Then I used your method and successfully downgrade the bios. The variables do unlock. Buth after I did the usb recovery again with the same old bios, variables lock.

Added:
I finally figured it out. It is not the old bios unlocked variables(f.82 is not old enough or all bioses for my model are protected), instead is the unlock mode(manufacturer programming mode is unlock mode), this mode can be triggered by programming a clean bin file extract from official bios update program. The dirt bin can’t even trigger boot flashing(which cause f2 diagnostic broken at least). I recommend you dump your bios information via BCU so you can restore it later! I also recommend back up and flash your chip using asprogrammer that the most modern one. Edit the config file dumped before restore bios info so you won’t disable the unlock mode. Maybe disable bios lock in variables will disable the protection?

Sorry, no. bios lock has a different purpose.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AcerNitro/comments/l6d4mi/unlock_uv_on_intel_10th_gen_for_nitro_5_within/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
This helped me undervolt and cfg unlock.

But i cannot flash the modified bios i made using the H20UVE tool with some fan settings changed using ME tools it shows something is stopping it from flashing. i forgot what the error message was.
EDIT: Just found the error message : “Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.
Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable
Protected Range Registers.”

have to try the insyde flash tool @Sweet_Kitten provided. ill let you guys know what happens.

Welp that did not go s planned, :rofl:. I tried flashing using that and it showed some error.

It probably will refuse to boot. I did the similar things but with a programmer. I found other guy did the same thing to unlock the protection as I did. So if you want to change hidden settings, unlock programing mode is the easiest way.

@Sweet_Kitten
Without bypass the signature verification,we can not boot the modified bios even in unlocked programing mode?

1 Like