REQUEST: Lenovo Thinkpad W701DS - Add TRIM support for Intel RAID

@Lost_N_BIOS :

The user knubbze needs an older version of the tool named NTLite, not of the XP tool named nLite.
----------------------

@knubbze :
If you are interested, I found the NTLite version 1.6.1.6190 from May 2018.

@Fernando - Thanks, I missed that totally I must have never used this, or changed to doing Win7/10 ISO edits differently, I don’t have a single copy of any version of NTLite in my installer folder
Since the longest time though, I kept clean Win7 and Win10 on VMWare, update them as updates come in, then pull image to make new ISO when needed.
So that’s probably why I never have NTLite custom tool, since I do all my edits/changes in live OS, then pull WIM as needed to make new clean ISO how I wanted.

@knubbze - Glad you found an old version, of the correct program So, how did it go?

I am pleased to report that according to that trimcheck utility, TRIM is indeed working! So, all of you and @Fernando 's hard work paid off and was not in vain! So I am extremely happy that this long-term project finally came to a good conclusion. I hope that others who may have been in the same position as me find this thread and use your modified BIOS. So, thanks again for your invaluable assistance throughout.

I am now in the process of upgrading the hardware that the laptop supports to the maximum available specs: I’ve installed 32GB of RAM and upgraded to the fastest available CPU and GPU, and now just need to upgrade the WLAN card…

Hi, I recently acquired a Thinkpad W701DS, and would like to use the Whitelist BIOS with TRIM support in RAID mode. Unfortunately, the link in post #23 does not work anymore. @Lost_N_BIOS and @knubbze could either of you re-upload those packages? Thanks for your help!

https://litter.catbox.moe/a2i60u.7z

@knubbze - Thank you so much for uploading the packages! I am traveling now and using the laptop for work, so I will have to wait until I get back home at the end of July to try updating the BIOS. I am going to try to replicate what you did to maximize the likelihood of success:

1. Update the BIOS to official Lenovo BIOS version 1.3 (6kuj12uc.iso)
2. Use WinFlash64 to flash BIOS with TRIM mod
3. Use WinFlash64 to flash BIOS with TRIM and Whitelist mod

Does that look right?

All the links I’ve found are dead.
I know there are a couple 1.3 BIOS out there with the whitelist removed but does anyone still have it?
@v777
@knubbze
Thanks

I have the files backed up on my NAS - I will try to dig them out over the weekend and re-upload them. In case I forget (likely), please remind me :wink:

Sorry, just seen this post. My memory of the process isn’t great, but you should be fine just flashing the final BIOS (with TRIM and whitelist mod).

Hopefully @knubbze can upload the modded BIOS. I am traveling right now, so I would have to wait till I get back home before looking for the packages.

I can confirm that installing the BIOS with TRIM and Whitelist mod using the 3 steps above works. I don’t know whether step 2 is necessary, but I do remember reading in the readme file of the modded BIOS that you need to update to the official Lenovo BIOS version 1.3 before updating to the modded BIOS.

Here are a few other things I learned after using the modded BIOS:

If you remove the old Bluetooth 2.1 card and the old network card, and replace them with a modern card (I used a Wifi 6/Bluetooth 5 combo card) both Wifi and Bluetooth work fine.

If you use BitLocker, the TRIM check tool will tell you that the status is indeterminate. If you remove BitLocker, you can verify that it is working.

If you are using the TPM for BitLocker the BIOS will know that it was modded and you will get 5 beeps + 5 beeps on startup, after which the laptop will work normally. If I remember correctly, the BIOS didn’t want to let me access the TPM after the update to the modded BIOS, but I took control of the TPM through Windows 10 and it works fine now. A little annoying, but a very minor issue considering you get TRIM and Whitelist. There may be a solution as discussed here for X220/T420: “github.com/ValdikSS/thinkpad-shahash” but I did not have time to try it out and see if it works with the W701DS too.

I had an existing Windows 10 installation and when I compared the speed of the modern Intel RAID driver that came with Windows 10 vs. the older version v11.2.0.1006 that was discussed earlier, I got double the IOPS for both reading and writing with the modern driver (benchmarked my pair of 870 EVOs with Samsung Magician), so I kept the modern driver and it seems to work well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4gikcnhr7ze28…RIM-Mod.7z?dl=0

@knubbze - Thank you so much for uploading the roms! I will try to flash in next weekend.