[Request] Matching BIOS for my ASRock Rack W480D4U MB

I am looking for a bit of weird bios. I got a hold of a bit of strange W480d4u motherboard on eBay. I made the mistake of updating the bios with out noticing that this specific motherboard is not a standard w480d4u. It has one of the m.2 slot replaced with a pcie slot, as such the standard uefi firmware will not work. The sicker on the bios chips states it was version L0.02 I am hoping that someone else grab up on these and can hook me up with dump of the original bios as asrock support isn’t interested in getting it for me or can’t. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Edit byFernando: Thread title customized

Humm… you updated the bios with what file model? From Asrock page?
Link the page of the file
Where is the backup made before updating?
Is this really a bios issue or a death Ebay motherboard…

An m.2 vs a pcie slot, that’s usually not an issue for a standard bios image of a motherboard model with the tiny details changed in revisions.

Asrock can help with this, just provide them with info and motherboard identification.

I talked with asrock rack customer support and they send me the link for the consumer version bios of this motherboard but after installing it, the board is not booting. It is not on there website for some reason they never gave me. Here is the drop link I was give by there customer support representative “Dropbox - W480D4U2.11C - Simplify your life” After it failed I worked with the representative for awhile before they stopped responding. They said the board serial should not have been sold and thus they couldn’t help. Which I suppose is understandable all be it a pain the ass for me.
Some old posts are on reddit about this version of board and warning not to update the bios because for some reason they are not compatible. There must be more under the hood that is different about these version of this motherboard. Unfortunately for me those people that wrote those are not responding anymore.
It could be a dead board, although it was working fine till the update.The only reason I updated was to take advantage of the added support for the next generation of intel processor. Which is officially supported by this board and chipset.
I wish I made a backup of the bios then I wouldn’t have to hope to run into someone that also has one of these floating around. The IPMI interface on this board that I used to do the bios update, doesn’t do a backup before just doing it. The IPMI still works and I can flash the bios chip from it still. Not that I have one that will work.

Strange behavior from them… after given a bios image.
You must try to dump the IC with an SPI programmer, at least to see how’s the structure after those flashes and try to find any clues.
Its going to be a bit hard to find a complete dump on this model…

Did you check the ‘preserve bios configuration’ box when updating the bios / firmware?

@MeatWar I do have dump of the bios chip after the update from my spi programmer. I did manually flash the bios chip with the new firmware they gave me after to make sure it wasn’t just a bug in the bmc(ipmi) flashing system. Although it made no difference.
@lfb6 I am not sure if I did or not. I would have just used the default config the interface had.

Found something in asrockracks tsd server, heres an image of all the files they have, i am including one labeled 0.02 that may work for you from here at MEGA since I can’t attach files yet.

EDIT: Full dump here

@pthmpson13

1 Like

That is awesome! Thank you very much I’ll give it a try tonight and see if it will work.

Found some more bios file
MEGA link
I opened the JAX 0.02 DMI information and confirmed it only lists a single M.2 slot and four PCI-e slots unlike the other 0.02 I listed above. May be a winner for you @pthmpson13