[Request] Modded Lenovo ThinkStation S30 Type 0606 BIOS

Hi! I have Lenovo s30 workstation (older version) that got no further bios updates - unfortunately.

For now it’s running on e5-1620 , but I want to put e5-2697 v2 (https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E5-2697%20v2.html) (ID 306E4) instead.

I’ve tried to do it by manual and added additional microcode from archive, but motherboard not starting - 00 on post monitor. I’ve tried to add NVMe boot support but there is no such option showed after I’ve added driver from NVMe manual as well.

What I did wrong?

mce.zip (4.9 KB)

Thanks in advance!

original rom: IMAGEA0.zip (3.0 MB)
modded: new.zip (3.2 MB)

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened and customized

It may be possible but not assured in these OEM branded machines that some times have locks/blacklist, some systems need to have ME FW up to 8.x
Another topic on the issue

Does the system have Intel ME v7 or v8?

S30.pdf (lenovo.com)
Seems older board revisions, Machine Types are unlucky…ME FW v7
Only a user who forced to v8 can report success or failure…

The shared file is a Lenovo update file with no ME FW, if it was a dump of the current system bios it could be identifiable.
The 306E4 should be added if enough volume space or replacing an existent one.
MMtool or HeX editor can do this.

Your NVMe mod is not correct and i don’t even see the inserted DXE driver.
The DXE should be inserted in the end of volume 1, the same as CSMCORE, as stated in the guide (to read…not to glance only), by MMtool or UEFI method

And how did you flashed this mod?

EDIT: Now ( new_nvme.zip) looks OK, original pad on the end of volume remains present.

…You should be using at least the last version of system bios, before any mods, seems to be the A2KT70A (2020), this one added IvyBridge support and new mcodes, no mod need and yours is A0KT61A (2017)

Seems the main issue is the system was never updated with ME FW v8 from Lenovo…as the link posted states…

Yes, sorry, I’ve added bios without NVMe driver - here is fixed one:

new_nvme.zip (3.3 MB)

Flashed from OS with LENOVO’s flasher…

Forgot to get full dump, will do tomorrow.

As for now - I can get no higher than this one: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds501921-intelr-management-engine-firmware-update-tool-thinkstation-c30-d30-s30

Thanks!

Yes, but there is trick…

S30 comes in several revisions and fw from 2020 is for 4351 and 4352

https://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/downloads/ds035724-flash-bios-update-thinkstation-s30-type-4351-4352

cap file for that update: IMAGEA2.zip (3.6 MB)

Buuut I have : 0606 I guess

And I can’t flash it :frowning:

Yours is 7 versions below, check the readme of an update bios file, for the revision history.
You should try to make gradual updates starting the newest one after yours BIOS release - A0KT61AUS 03/27/2017, then on the last one flashed, the MVMe mod should be done on top of it.
From A2KT62A to A2KT68A and then the last one A2KTxxA
EDIT: Confirmed last for Type 0606 its your current A0KTxx, the ones A2KTxx are for the more recent type machines.

Some bios updates will block the standard flash to use mod bios files… so your choice only, due to security modifications on the firmware made by Lenovo… that’s why i asked how did you flashed the mod file initially…

EDIT: “0606 I guess”… that’s a poor identification of the system…being in your possession… you have service tags and chassi labels, but its correct and its uses same bios revisions, at least by Lenovo web engine redirection…
Any way, contribution done, all the best and good luck with it.

EDIT: My initial post updated with more information on ME FW on MT type 0568, 0569, and 0606 against the 4351, 4352

Thank You anyway, I guess I need to check ME version combability now and swap it (somehow) - I have flasher, so I don’t afraid of brick of motherboard.

Careful… a big mess here

Ouch… Maybe it’s possible to disable / update ME ?

Disable or trying to force ME FW v8 images on Type 0606 (Sandy Bridge), its a mod and requires tests from a user side, with high chances of several fails, only a user that can spare such system for testing purposes.

Like the this D30

Officially for type 0606, if you’ve done the latest update Management Engine Firmware Update Tool - ThinkStation C30, D30, S30) package from Lenovo 7.1.92.3273, it’s the last one known.