[REQUEST] MSI Z370M BIOS problems with 128GB RAM

@Lost_N_BIOS

I had been searching quite a bit to see if I can find something helpful for this.

Here is something that might be useful, please see and let me know if it is of any help.

EDIT: I think, what I wrote before is irrelevant, as support for 128GB was added much earlier than the date of this BIOS I mention below. Looking into the Compatibility Tab under both Motherboards I see that MSI added a lot of entries for the RAM support… and I now see that the RAM I use (CMK128GX4M4A2666C16) is listed as supported only if 2 dimms are used for the Z370 motherboard, and it is listed as supported with 4 dimms for the Z390 motherboard. Long story short, it appears that to get rid of these issues I would have to replace the Z370 with a Z390 Motherboard.END OF EDIT.

The motherboard I have is Z370M GAMING PRO AC, the closest motherboard to it but with a Z390 chipset is the Z390M GAMING EDGE AC.

I looked into the BIOS updates for this Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Motherboard and it seems the latest BIOS was optimized for new RAM modules. The only difference between BIOS 7B50v16 and 7B50v171(Beta version) is that v171 was optimized for “double-sided 32GB memory (2Gx8 memory chip)”.

7B50v171(Beta version) Description:
- Optimized for the newest single-sided 16GB and double-sided 32GB memory (2Gx8 memory chip)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/…GE-AC#down-bios

Could this be helpful to see what was changed to improve RAM compatibility?

If not, then I guess I might leave the system with the older BIOS for now, and when I have the resources, to purchase the Z390M GAMING EDGE AC.
It is officially written that it supports 128GB and it also supports the i7-8086K CPU that I use.

If support for 128GB RAM for the Z390 is on MSI website, would that mean that issues like the ones here will not appear on this Z390 motherboard?
What do you think?

Z390 would have similar issues too, if ME FW had to be disabled (ie not compatible with 128GB out of the box). But, since it appears to be compatible with 128GB by default, then it should work without issues.

Sorry, I don’t know how to edit/add memory compatibility or check for changes like you need. I only know how to do this 128GB BIOS mod due to dsanke’s guide. Sorry I can’t help more with that.

Yes, I guess to avoid the language issue, your best bet until you can get the Z390 is to use the v15 mod BIOS. I guess we could try swapping in V15 language file to V18 mod BIOS if I can find it, but I’m not sure if that would help, probably the same for each BIOS and it’s really not the issue.
Or, remove the actual language strings at the source of the issue may help too, we could remove all but English and see if that fixes it?

But, for that kind of edit, I have to rely on a 100% AMIBCP edited file, and it’s a non-heavily tested modified AMIBCP edit done by @st1cky , because this BIOS is not 100% compatible with AMIBCP so modified version must be used.
Unless @st1cky knows how to remove all language strings except EN without use of AMIBCP? I exported each one, and it’s spread out through the BIOS in various PE32 images, not ideal for stripping manually since it’s not a single language module to be editing languages out of, or a compressed section with each language in a single file etc.
I also test edited with AMIBCP, removing all but EN, and “Shell” remains same size/contents, but setup and FBOGroup are different (swapped those one at a time, AMIBCP still shows all languages on re-open of those files)

@Lost_N_BIOS
String Packages are located in the Section_PE32_image_Setup_Setup ( EE4E5898-3914-4259-9D6E-DC7BD79403CF )
http://iorlvskyo.blogspot.com/2016/06/uefi-bios-editor.html

So removing the Lanugage Packs with AMIBCP and compare it with the original, we would see how AMIBCP Operates while removing the Language String Packages :slight_smile:

@st1cky - yes, I know “Some” language strings are stored there, but as I mentioned above, I removed all but EN using AMIBCP, and noticed Setup was smaller, but after replacing that setup with stock, all languages still appear in AMIBCP again after rebuild
So, while some are there, and in MANY other modules (which I’ve replaced a few from AMIBCP Edited BIOS that only had EN Left and modules were smaller), on rebuild all languages still present. So I’ve not yet found the main language module and it’s not what you are showing above.

Im not 100% sure about this,too. Far as i know Language Packed gets Called in this GUIDs

I think thats maybe why, the BIOS doesnt work anymore, when we modify it with AMIBCP Patched Version. ( Only when we remove the String Packages? )
When i tested the Patched Version on Gigabyte BIOS Z390 i dont need to remove the Language Packages, could be flashing it is working without removing it. I couldnt test it, since i dont have a Gigabyte Mainboard.

I remove the Language Packages and after i just replace the -> FE612B72-203C-47B1-8560-A66D946EB371 ( Section_Freeform_subtype_GUID_setupdata_setupdata_AMITSESetupData ) into the Stock BIOS.
Thats how i do it, with my Patched AMIBCP.

But you are right about, the Languages. It gets called in more Modules.

EDIT:
But i cant tell how this works, because AMIBCP use AMI Font Tool and most of these things are somewhere hidden in the Program itself. :S

@st1cky - Yeah, I seen all that, that’s why I mentioned it’s all spread out like that, but there is some single module somewhere that removes the strings in general too I think
I removed all but EN with AMIBCP, and seen plenty of changes in all those modules and some others, so maybe without doing it in AMIBCP it’s just not easily or feasibly done in any sensible manner

Replacing setupdata post edit has nothing to do with removing languages here, that’s for the BIOS settings if edited.
I don’t need AMIBCP to do anything here other than to actually remove the language strings (This is the direct desired and only goal), sorry if there was any confusion about this.
I was asking if you knew about doing it without AMIBCP in case the output file = brick. I guess we’d have no other option but to test the file directly AMIBCP edited, but sadly that is something this user cannot do (no programmer nor experience in that area)

@paul44 - unless/until you get a flash programmer like CH341A + SOIC8 test clip cable or JSPI1 adapter, I think your only safe move here is to use the V15 mod BIOS as we have it now
I can make you V18 test BIOS with all languages removed but EN, but it’s a risky flash and without you being able to recover I’d suggest against trying until you have a programmer.

Totally same issue, it seems the only perfect answer is switch z370 to z390

@deshawn_liu - link to your latest BIOS, we can edit and fix for you

Wow! it sounds like the issues above have been solved? I just update my BIOS version from 7B47v18 to 7B47v19, and I found it useless, same language error and same startup & restart error ,same ME FW error. and 128 RAM addressable in windows 10. Here is the bios zip file
. https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B47v19.zip ,i cannot upload it due to over 6MB.Thank you very much !

In the end I switched to an MSI Z390M Gaming Edge AC and all the RAM now works great. No issues restarting or anything like that.

For anyone in the same boat just check MSI website, they now include a long compatibility list of RAM modules which work.
So there is no need to wonder what will work or not. Open this link:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/…C#support-mem-3

And just look under column: 1 | 2 | 4 DIMM. It shows how many RAM modules of each type the motherboard supports.