[Request] NVMe Support for Advantech AIMB-270

Hi all,
Is this old mainboad possible to add NVMe boot option?
If the answer is yes, can it show the full device name, not just PATA?
For implementing this feature, which BIOS rom file should I use to extract the NVMe DXE drivers?

@rxg here is the bios file, downloaded from the web itself and inserted the dxe with mmtool. it is possible since i could open it with mmtool version 4, so your bios must’ve been UEFI compatible with AMI Aptio IV. try to flash this normally. Dont forget to disable CSM if you want to install windows on the NVMe, or use UEFI first for storage boot. NVMe drive must be formatted at GPT, so that it will be able to be installed windows in it.

TL;DR: UEFI bios + GPT drive for installing windows in this nvme mod.

A270V111.rar (3.6 MB)

@Koekieezz Thanks for the quick reply. I noted there were two dxe drivers added - NvmExpressDxe_5 and SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.
Is the latter necessary? It seems only for the specific Samsung model, such as xp941 and sm951.
Unfortunately, the rom file from the vendor official web site is out of date. The current BIOS version is v1.14 on my mainboard.
I would try to re-mod it by extracting the driver from the attachment you provided.

Alright then, you know the drill XD

Hello,

Was this method successful after all? In my case there seems to be a conflict in addresses reserved by PCI and other devices…. So, PATA present in modded BIOS, but when try to install Win, it crashes after 30-40 secs. It is happening also with free PCI (SSD not inserted).

Thanks

@glchivu
This is an old “Request” and not an “Offer” thread.
If you want to to install Win10 or Win11 onto an NVMe SSD, I recommend to read carefully >this< Guide.
Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your fast reaction. I had a diagonal look on the tutorial, very well organized, congratulations! The fact is though I’m already familiar with 95% of what is described here, without expected results so far. I’ll look forward into tutorial to identify, at a closer look, the… missing 5% (!).

There are 3 volumes in my case and they are all reorganizing after the insertion, including via rebase which probably affects the (fixed) video memory. I’ll let you know, thanks again!

@glchivu
If you are unsure regarding the quality of your BIOS modification, feel free to give us a link to the original and your modded BIOS.

1 Like

As soon as I get to it, sure. Thanks!

[Later edit] Apparently, there is another root cause for the behavior I am facing, which is not triggered necessarely by the NVMe driver inserting.

Testing the original/not modded BIOS with a standard SSD on SATA (with GPT and available/appropriate bios settings) causes the same trouble, meaning that after 30-40 secs of Win10/11 USB installation attempt, it restarts automatically or get stucked with artefacts. Maybe the GOP driver should be inserted/modified. This bios is probably from the transition period legacy to UEFI, “AMI EFI 64 Mbit SPI“, programmed on MX25L6435E chip.

That’s why the opinion of the colleague who started the topic would have been essential, as my BIOS is same as his, v1.14… Anyways, thanks to Mr. Dieter for availability and kindly ask the admins to move this topic to the appropriate part of forum, if exists/if the case.

I’ll keep digging…

Regards, Gabriel.

This thread is the correct location for all users of an Advantech AIMB-270, who want to boot off an NVMe SSD.

1 Like