[Request/?] "Overwrite" the BIOS Region in a dump

Hello Community. Hope someone can help me with this. I’m trying to recover an ASUS BIOS on a model with no “CrashFree” feature. The image size (2MB) is too small than the flash size (4MB)

I happen to be in the same situation as the OP in this thread except I’m not modifying the ME Region but trying to show the advanced settings using a presumably bad BIOS dump. I have here the stock BIOS update and my current BIOS dump.

Well, if you might have read a litlle you mind’ve found out a little more yourself.

• You can’t fill a 10 liter bucket completely if you just got 6 liters of water…

• Have a look into the files with UEFIToolNE and check the structure:

Asus delivers a bios region, you need a FD and a ME region in addition to have a complete firmware.

Otherwise look into your own dump, you lost structure for the last 2 EFI volumes, last padding contains machine specific data and seems OK.

Since 217b no longer is available, take another bios region, exchange the mentioned padding with your machine specific data thus generating a new stock bios region with your machine specific information.
Take then a copy of your dump, exchange the bios region, flash it back.

You can post the reconstructed firmware if unsure.

1 Like

What tool could be appropriate for this operation? I am new to Laptop BIOS modding
(but I do have experience with PC BIOSes)

Since 217b no longer is available,

I mean I could use 313 for it is available

take another bios region, exchange the mentioned padding with your machine specific data thus generating a new stock bios region with your machine specific information.

Take another BIOS region like take someone else’s BIOS dump? … extract the BIOS region then inject the “padding” from the current dump? Doesn’t seem hard to follow

UEFITool doesn’t let me do this. All actions are grayed-out.

“another bios region” as in stock bios, I wouldn’t use a bios region with foreign NVRAM settings (or an unrefreshed ME from another machine)

Hex Editor (HxD) is a possibility, UEFIToolNE gives you addresses and you can ‘extract as is’ the padding. UEFITool 0.28 seems to work fine for me, nothing greyed out? ‘Replace as is’ for padding in a stock bios region and afterwwards ‘replace as is’ for the bios region in your dump.

Okay I extracted the suspected “padding” containing machine-specific data and obtained stock BIOS from ASUS. I replaced the BIOS Region on the current dump, replaced the empty “padding” with my own “padding”. Can you check if I did this right? Thank you

Is modifying the ME even necessary if the dump came from the same laptop (not someone else’s dump)?

I didn’t use any parts from someone else’s dump but only used it as a reference.

Looks good!