[Request] Paid bios mod - MSI GT80

Hello everybody!

I’m looking for somebody skilled enough to add newer gpu support into bios of my GT80.

Will donate €100 to mod author or selected project/charity if somebody can do it as I’m really desperate now and don’t have enough knowledge.

HW info:

MSI GT80 2QC with 5th gen i7
BIOS: E1812IMS.11C
EC: 1812EMS1.108

nVidia GTX 1070 (GP104)
10DE 1BA1 - 1462 11FF
VBIOS: 86.04.31.00.0C

Thanks in advance
Adam

@psenicka - What GPU do you want to add? Does this system sell with that card as an option? << This is your best bet, if you pick better card that they sell system with then you can find/ask for BIOS that has that cards vBIOS in it configured for this system already (this is usually the only way it will work anyway)

Actually, I checked this BIOS and I do not see any nvidia vBIOS in it, so vBIOS stored on GFX cards for this system.
You may get lucky trying another model, have you tried any yet?

@Lost_N_BIOS - First, thank you very much for your reply. My english is not the best. Anyways, I will try to explain my situation best I can. And it looks like maybe no help will be needed at all.

My system originaly came with 2x nVidia 965M, instaled in two separate MXM slots. 970M and 980M were availible as well. New card is greymarket GTX 1070.

So yes, the original card have it’s own VBIOS, same like the new one. My GT80 is kind of rare device. Not much of them were sold and I found only one person who upgraded it to GTX 1070. This very nice GT80 owner even sent me BIOS settings printscreens and his VBIOS dump, which I will try to flash this weekend. But he claims that it works only under very specific conditions. (with all connectors and cables disconected when turning laptop on) Moreover, only works with displayport, no video on internal display.

There is, however, another MSI laptop with almost the same hardware. GT72 (not GT72VR). Only diference between GT72 and GT80 should be diferent MB with secondary MXM 3.0b GPU slot and bigger cooling on GT80. (and, of course, chasis) All the HW parameters are the same.

Lot of GT72 owners (same like GT70 users) did actually upgrade their computers with GTX 1070. I don’t know exactly how it works, because I don’t have knowledge needed, but everybody with 1070 in their GT70 claimed that BIOS mod is needed. Apparently, there is no VBIOS module in computer’s BIOS, but rather some module designated just for comunication with GPU. And some table with compatible GPU vendor and models as well. (So how come this guy I mentioned before can run 1070 his GT80 with stock BIOS? IDK)

I made request at Svet’s "Private Unofficial Modified BIOS’ses & EC-FW" on MSI forums some time ago. He’s already doing it for years and helped lot of people with their MXM GPUs. But he’s very busy at the moment. Yesterday he told me he will finally have time for such bigger project next month. This made me really happy :slight_smile:

So maybe no help is needed anymore. I can wait a month. But again, thank you for all your time and help. And of course - If you still want to try to solve this problem further, it will be highly appreciated.

So if you’re interested, here’s some more info about computer’s behavior and problem description I made some time before for Svet

BR
Adam

You’re welcome. Great to hear svet will help you, I hear he is good at such things so I think you are in capable hands now

From a quick glance over all that info, seems to me if you are certain all hardware outputs are same in GT72 and your model, you can force flash or program in that models BIOS as a test with stock card / non-edited BIOS etc and see if it works with your internal display
If it does, then you should be able to use cards as they do on that BIOS. A lot of the times on these systems, final display output signals are routed out and through the Intel vBIOS to all display outputs.
In that vBIOS/GOP you can enable/disable/switch around etc what ports are active, how ports and or panels are configured etc (100’s of settings in these vBIOS/GOP)
That can be edited/viewed with Intel BMP, we have thread on this tool here, it’s about updating these but once you open vBIOS or GOP with tool you will see all the settings you can change).
This may be part of the BIOS mods they discuss, as well as the actual BIOS itself also contains some of these same display output controls/settings too.
Some of those may be hidden BIOS settings you’ve seen via hotkey, but all may not be shown in that menu too (you can compare in AMIBCP to see for sure if you were shown all possible settings)

ok im not really familiar with MSI series but i’ll try to explain.
for all sku GT80 dtr, they got internal display connected to gfx via LVDS signal,which became a problem for Pascal generation graphics card.later GT83 basically keep using this design,but MSI put some eDP-to-LVDS chip on its M980/1070/1080 to make GT83 workable.this is the reason why you need some specific gtx1070/1080 card directly pulled out from GT83.
plan B,like AW18,you got to find some igp-enabled mod BIOS to make your non-edp2lvds pascal working with hybrid graphics.i’m not sure if this idea even possible with MSI.