REQUEST - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO BIOS Mod to Allow 128GB RAM

@k6808_8086k

Ahh. I misread your earlier statement. I thought you were getting the i9-9900KF. Let me know if yours comes in a black bag. They should have called it the i9-9950K. It’s just an updated i9-9900K that can get all cores to 5.0 GHz.

I’m not aware of any Linux apps that even use that much memory. What are these “memory hungry apps” because I also use a lot of memory? Do you do any HD Video editing?

As for VMs which ones are you using in Linux? What are you running inside the VMs, just more flavors of Linux?

Why didn’t you go to say Windows 7 64-Bit or 10 64-Bit and create the VM inside that instead?

@XPLives Yes, I use the machine for 4K video editing sometimes. I also use VM to run macOS, Windows & few Linux distros. Also, some app I like to use RAMDISK. I want to try virtualisation on this machine as well.

Windows is quite buggy sometimes and restarts without asking. Like it has it’s own mind. Also, most of the open-source software compiles and runs smoothly on Linux and macOS.

@k6808_8086k - I replied above about the 9900KS at post #18 - it’s already in the manufacturer QVL list, so tested and supported already by the manufacturer, so you’re good to go

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks. Yes, i9-9900KS is working fine on this board. Installed it yesterday. Need to run some tests and setup fully for final usage. :slight_smile:

@k6808_8086k

Wow first I heard about it being buggy and restarting. Was this on Windows 10 or 7 or both? I sent my other questions to you PM.

@XPLives I replied to your PM. I was using Windows 10 on a machine and I like to keep my machines on and running 24/7. But, Microsoft tends to release update which requires restart of the system even if I don’t want to restart immediately. Annoyingly I had to press to install later. Many times while I’m sleeping, the computer restarted automatically. That is not convenient for me.
Also, I assume you heard about a gamer who was live-streaming his gameplay and during his playing, his Windows just restarted. Leaving him and his users deprived of enjoying a good game. That is just only example I have about Windows at the moment. If you like, I can dig the URL for that news.

It’s too bad, that user didn’t get one of the Auto-BIOS-Reflashes pushed out by Win10 and then the BIOS bricked on reboot, maybe that would have shined a light on Microsoft/Board makers to stop doing this to people!
Good to hear your KS is up and running!

@k6808_8086k |

I found it. You are probably referring to “fl0m”? This is why I use XP as you can disable the automatic updates way back when it was released although there are no more today but the point was it had better user control. Windows Vista also you could prevent them. Windows 7 I heard possibly the earlier versions you could do this. I think there is an update that was released later that could have disabled this feature because I heard rumors of people getting forced into upgrading to Windows 10 without their permission. But I would probably say that issue of rebooting without permission is more isolated to Windows 10’s method. I’m sure there must be a way to disable that Windows Update service from running. Also there exists W10 LTSB version for that purpose of unwanted constant updates.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/32…-explained.html

So far 24/7 XP and Vista systems never autorebooted or forced to update something by Microsoft. Windows 7 I haven’t used 24/7 for SP0 or SP1 to determine if they are safe 24/7.