[Request] Sony Vaio Vpcz215gb bios

Hi all. I’ve been lurking in the shadows at this forum for a while now. And I’ve used a lot of info here to mod bios for 775 motherboards, or to get to know a little bit more about modding in general. But right now I am going to do what I believe is the main reason the forum is closing, and I wouldn’t do so if I had any other option, and I truly apologize about that.
But on to the topic, I own a Vaio Z2 VPC215GB/B, and I managed to brick it by forcinng a bios that is not even remotely compatible in it. The problem is, I have not been able to find its original bios literally anywhere, being the closest a R0170H5 bios from a VPCZ21X9R, which I believe is very similar to the one I own, but I am not sure if flashing it would work or not. Before that I also tried the old topic to access the advanced settings, only to find out today that there is a github project about it. If anyone could shed a light on where to get the original bios I would be eternaly grateful!!

Laptop Model: VPCZ215GB/B
Board Model: MBX-236 1-884-567-13
Original Bios: R0170H5, and later on updated to R0172H5
CPU model: I5-2410m

Hello.

Find BIOS version R1013H5 in attachments. If for some reason the installer interrupts the update due to incompatibility, I can upload R0173H5.

Source.

EP0000269801.zip (4.71 MB)

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your info but you kinda got me lost there:

"If for some reason the installer interrupts the update due to incompatibility"

I am not sure what you meant. For this and some other bios from the FTP site what I did was to extract the .rom with the UniExtract application on my desktop computer. Can I or beter, do I need to run the .exe? Because when extracted with UniExtract there is a WBFLASH.exe, and I believe that’s exactly how I bricked my laptop in the first place. Is there any harm in just hitting the .exe file on another computer?

EDIT: for some reason the .zip file was not showing previously, my bad

I can do this as many times as I want on mine, and I get an incompatibility error. I’m sorry if my words didn’t make any sense for you, but I just thought this is what usually happens when you run an .exe on any inappropriate hardware.

1 Like

Unlocked BIOS: R0173H5.zip.
More PX options also added.

1 Like

Okay, so I finally had the chance to look it up. I extracted it with 7-Zip, R0173H5.rom bios file doesn’t show any microcode when checking inside of the file. Is this common I ask? Because a original R0170H5.rom shows all microcodes available inside. Do I need to insert the microcodes into the R0173H5.rom without modifying anything else? Sorry for my complicated English

@cabessa_hunter

pic.png

1 Like

Hi Guys, anyone knows how to, or have an unlocked version of R1013H5? Is it the latest version?

Extract Setup Utility module from the unlocked R0173H5 and replace it in the latest R1013H5. Sony hadn’t made major changes to the firmware setup interface through the support timeline, so by doing this you can get an unlocked BIOS af any version.

1 Like

Wow thank you for the prompt reply, wasn’t expecting this fast!! May I ask what’s the GUID of the setup utility module?

I am using H20EZE to edit the bios.

1 Like

You’re a legend.

Any way I could buy you a coffee my dear fellow human, or should I say kitten? :blush:

I forbid buying me coffee. It’s a dangerous chemical for cats.
Save your funds.