[Request] Unlock CFG Lock/OCing on ASUS ProArt StudioBook Laptop

Hey guys!

I’ve been trying to either unlock advanced bios or just unlock Undervolting on my ASUS ProArt laptop (13980HX CPU, which should be unlocked, but that’s besides the point), but I’m having a hard time understanding these suppression statements…

XTU denotes that undervolt protection is on, which the IFR extract points to 0x282 and 0x284, both of which are defaulted to 0… changed both of these to 1 but didn’t unlock it, either.

I’ve ripped the BIOS and got the IFR Extract here.

Here is the link for the ASUS BIOS Executable as well: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (H7604)|Laptops For Creators|ASUS USA

If anyone would be able to help, that would be greatly appreciated, because just editing CpuSetup 0x49 (cfg lock) and 0x282 (undervolt protection) doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

Happy to compensate for your time, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Good morning

try changing the “46 02” to “47 02” here:

Suppress If {0A 82}
0x92BA5 True {46 02}
0x92BA7 Ref: Access Level, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0xFFFF, VarStore: 0x0, QuestionId: 0x5, FormId: 0x2715 {0F 0F 20 00 02 00 05 00 00 00 FF FF 00 15 27}

Hi Francky! I don’t seem to see the VarStore: 0x0 parent “table” towards the top of the IFR text file, so I don’t know if I have visibility or the access to edit any variables in that VarStore, unless I am misunderstanding something?

What would VarStore 0x0 refer to in the list at the top?

Adding additional info, I found VarStoreId: 0xF000, which is SystemAccess, but only has one variable to be edited at position 00.

try changing “0F 0F 20 00 02 00 05 00 00 00 FF FF 00 15 27” the “46 02” to “47 02” here:

Hey Francky,

Thanks for getting back to me. The referenced ‘Access Level’ at VarOffset 0xFFFF under VarStore 0x0 doesn’t seem to be available for me to access via ru.efi. I have no way of editing that string via the RU interface, unless I am mistaken.

I apologize if I am missing something obvious, and thank you for your help and patience on this!

Don’t trust this IFR output. All names are mixed cos they were extracted from the string package 0. But you need package 1 being used for proper extraction.

Hi Sweet_Kitten,

Could you elaborate what you mean by ‘package 1’ for extraction? I am happy to re-run the process to get an updated IFR text file, but I am confused by what you mean specifically there.

Thank you!

Setup utility has many languages available, but some are divided on multiple parts. If you share Setup module of the BIOS binary I’ll edit it so the extractor would not see the package 0. Then I upload the edited file for you to download.

Here is the Setup module from the UEFITool extracted as-is.

Setup.zip (1.6 MB)
I filled area 64590h-64626h with zeroes.

Okay, awesome – I was able to change a number of UEFI variables and was able to remove the lock on Overclocking and Voltage control, but my undervolt offsets are not applying quite yet.

Here’s what I changed:
0x43 = 00
0x10E = 00
0x1D9 = 01
0x381 = 00
0x3B1 = 01
0x110 = 00

and under PCHSetup:
0x73D = 00

Intel XTU still claims that undervolt protection is enabled, though the BIOS variable in CpuSetup was properly adjusted to turn it off (0x381, set to 00 instead of 01 default)

Thank you for your help on this, any other insight to get me to the finish line?

I apologize in advance if I don’t manage to help. I’m not very good at undervolting things.

Please, check undervolt protection register status in HWINFO.
Intel Undervolt Protection | TechPowerUp Forums
IMO, provided that protection still persists after disabling the lock in BIOS setup, the protection can be disabled forcibly, but it is very risky.
Even tho,
if voltage adjustments applied in unlocked BIOS or via modded GRUB affect something, there is still a chance that Intel XTU would never work.

Hey Sweet_Kitten!

It does appear that this laptop has the Dynamic Overclocking Undervolt Protection layer enabled… So I guess it’s locked for good? I did see I’m on microcode 10F (which is pretty old), but have no idea where to progress from here in trying to unlock it further to allow voltage offsets through. :confused:

It’s locked for good.
Not a surprise. Every laptop powered by Intel 13th gen CPU I’ve tinkered with has had this drawback.

To disable the protection I would normally try patching SiInitFsp.

But StudioBook is a thousands dollar laptop I’m afraid to broke.
I want to add, that I can’t tell if the lock comes from the microcode or from this module, due to lack of experience.

Hi,
i’m really interested in this topic because i bought this amazing laptop to do “professional things” like undervolt and other things. It runs really hot, i have already opened it and put new (and better pllaced) liquid metal on cpu and GPU (with some adds to avoid spilling)

I also wrote to ASUS Support to ask a bios update with undervolting enabled (like STRIX G18 users…) but they answered that are not planning this sort of update.

Keep going finding a way to unlock my bios by myself…