[REQUEST] Unlock RTX2060 mobile

Hi guys I’d like to get some more performance out of my RTX2060 mobile.
The laptop I use is a Clevo P970ED and it has the standard 80w bios.
I’ve tried a 90w bios from Asus which worked well at the cost of losing DP and HDMI output.
But I don’t want to lose that functionality so I hope someone on the forum can help.
The only option for me to flash the bios is with Nvflash I don’t own hardware to modify my vbios.
Below is the Vbios I’ve extracted with GPU-Z:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cket953r40dboob/TU106.rom?raw=1

Since Pascal Nvidia has been signing their BIOS with a certificate to stop any modification through a ‘BIOS Certificate Check’.

With Turing they have also encrypted the BIOS (as people had been getting around the certificate by modding via hex editor and then flashing the EEPROM directly with a SPI programmer).

The best thing you can do is look for another BIOS that has a higher boost clock (even with the same TDP limit) preferably with the same outputs.

Flashing a BIOS that has the same clock and higher TDP won’t gain you much performance but at least you won’t see ‘Power’ as the limit reason as often - it will be more likely to be voltage or temperature, which is better IMO.

The only way to do that is to use SPI programer like ch341a - which I own and use and I can guide you with that programer for vbios or sky pro.

Resaults can be very satisfactory,

For example in my laptop which has GTX 1060 I had around 13K graphics score with OC in FS at 78W and now when I removed TDP power limits by setting 150W TDP and by increasing extreme limits I can do without a problem scores betwean 15.2K - 15.4K in FS. Resaults are I would say amazing not only for benchmarks but also for games. Now my card is in the territory of high oc desktop cards. But setting everything that high needs a lot of work for repasting lap (LM is needed) and moding cooling for keeping VRMs cool.

Take a look at the thread of Pascal TDP tweaker at NBR, but I don’t know if for now anyone flashed modded turing successfully.

As you flashed 90W Vbios than ther is no much you can do without programer, but as I said I don’t know if anyone was able to make the card run properly after hard flashing

Question, I have an MSI laptop with the 2060 as well, when you flashed the Asus vbios, what did you do to the 2060 before flashing it? Did you disable it in device manager before you flashed it?

I also just got a MSI with 2060 and keep seeing that it has the same shader count than the 2070 but not all are unlocked, please enlighten us, stay safe out there!

@chinobino hi, do u think u could help me or give ur opinion about, i got a file from a msi 115w rtx 2060, and mine is set to 90w, as i said is the refreshed 2060 mobile, so can u look the files and see if is compatible? and tell me how i could flash this in my rtx i think about of https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvi…match-disabled/ this software, and if this fail by software could i put my original bios back by rewritten in the same bios chip? or have another chip just for vbios? and if in your opinion it would work too even if i just lose some minidisplayport or hdmi

gpu z both.zip (77.9 KB)

msi and original vbios.zip (1.19 MB)

@Lonely_wolf I can only say the same as Lost_N_BIOS did in this thread.

You could try to force flash with a modified nvflash but I would suggest to buy a SPI programmer in case the display outputs differ and you get black screen on boot. At least with a programmer you can recover the card from brick or failed boot. Before you attempt to cross-flash make sure you do a complete backup using a SPI programmer in case your software dump is incomplete. Did you use GPU-Z or nvflash to dump the vbios?

Once you have a programmer you could compare the dumps (via hash check) and if they are identical you have a much better chance of recovery. Even with a programmer there is still risk, make sure you know for 100% sure which SPI flash chip (EEPROM) is on the board and that you supply the correct voltage. NVflash can usually report the Vendor, EEPROM ID, size and voltage which you can cross check with what is physically on the board i.e. Macronix MX25U8033E-MX25U8033E 1.65-2.0V 8192K (8 Megabit). So get that info before you take the laptop apart as it will make it easier to find. You can check this by running the following command from a command prompt;

nvflash64 --check

Another problem could arise from different having a different VRM on the MSI GL65’s GTX 2060 which could result in it partially functioning or just performing poorly - the only way to find out is to test it unfortunately.
According the to specs page the MSI GL65 comes with a 45W Intel i7-9750H plus the 115W RTX 2060 which is supported by a 180W power adapter. I don’t know what your laptop model is but you should check that your power adapter has enough headroom for the extra ~25W of power you will need, if not you will need to upgrade it.

thank u too, is good to listening more points of view, lost n bios helped me a lot too, i have a 10750h,64gb ram, rtx 2060 with currently 90w, and i have a 180w power adapter but i will buy one for 230w,because my cpu in turbo goes to 90w sometimes too in high demand

@Lonely_wolf NP, looks like you are on the right track

how have you done it? how have you crossflashed your videobios? i tried with nvflash but it gives me an error : gpu mismatch.
could you please guide me? i own a y540-15IRH with the rtx 2060.