[Request] Unlocked Lenovo M720q BIOS

Hi!

Inspired by another user on the forum here, I thought I would try and make a request for my Lenovo M720q.

I have managed to modify the UEFI variables to unlock CFG Lock, Overclocking Lock and uh, one other variable using RU.
But I would like to know if it is possible to unlock some additional features;

- Additional NVME drive: M.2 Drive 2
- Intel RST - for Raid.
- Advanced menu (just to look for fun, since we are at it)

The M720q shares bios with the M920x and P330 Tiny. The M920x and P330 Tiny both have 2 NVME slots, and support raid.
The M720q has space for a second NVME drive, but lacks the physical connector. Physically the motherboards look the same.

I have had this connector soldered in place - but the M.2 Drive 2 is not shown in the bios (as if it is hidden?).
(I did not check this before having the connector soldered in place :)). Only M.2 Drive 1 appears as an entry for me.

Info on P330 raid setup in BIOS here (from Page 14 onward):
thinkstation_p330_nvme_raid_setup_v1.0.pdf
You can see the M.2 Drive 2 entry for this device.

Flash BIOS update,
Version: M1UKT66A
ThinkCentre M720t, M720s, M720q, M920t, M920s, M920q, M920x, ThinkStation P330 Tiny
Download: m1ujt66usa.zip

I have installed fpt and I get error 167 when trying to write, but dumping works fine.
(This as I saw instructions on the other thread I linked to.)

Is someone willing to give modifying the bios a try?

minority

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened and unneeded blank lines removed

Please Dump your Bios Using FPT first and send it here

Hi MagHiro.

Please find the fpt dump here.

I haven’t been able to flash back with fpt (Error Code 167). I have ordered a CH341A programmer.
After reading different threads here I have figured out how to edit the bios values of the Setup section in a hex editor after extracting it, and then placing this section back into the bios.

I read that Lost_n_Bios revealed a hidden menu by replacing another a visible with it (Power). Haven’t tried that yet, thought I would try my other edits first when the programmer arrives.

Some things I am curious about;

I was reading through the IFRExtract of Setup and I see there are some bios menu items that are revealed based on a question for ProductType.
I found some questions that relate to ProductType, mine has type 32 (read from RU). The question I found is 0xE10.

Is it possible to see which ProductType value is for which product?
Is it possible to change my product type instead of modifying each question to reveal these additional features?

Thanks,

minority

Hi again,

I got my CH341A programmer.
Modified the PE32 image section and replaced that in the bios with UEFITool 0.28.0
Flashed to the device –> confirmed it is flashed.
But it doesn’t change any of the default values…

And so I have been reading up here, and see that somehow there are 3 ways to modify the bios, so it is a bit of trial and error:

Is the PE32 one of these? I tried to search in the forums but a specific explanation with a process for each but I didn’t come by any.
Could someone advise how to proceed?

Thanks very much.

minority

Hello.

AMITSE (1DA0ADF-4F77-4070-A88E-BFFE1C60529A). Always.