[Requset] FX504gm BIOS Unlock CPU tweaking and remove pl1 / pl2

Hey guys. I’m pretty sure some of you are familiar with the fx504gm bios request post that got nowhere. Well, I’m starting a new thread here since I got fed up with all the throttle stop guides that obviously don’t work. The CPU is capable of sustaining loads above 25W.

I figured this out by rolling back to BIOS 201, where I found out that upon hitting any GPU load, the CPU will go down to 35-40 Watts and hold it for 10-25 seconds just before hard capping itself to 25 Watts for the rest of the windows session.

Nothing will unlock this limit, not even Jesus himself.

So I was hoping that any sort of BIOS mod will help with unlocking the power limits on the CPU, the GPU is fine for the most part. As long as you hold a stable overclock at 1000mV, you should be good to go. Stress testing 2000MHZ on the GPU as I’m writing this, a bit more coil whine than I like, but I can live with that I guess.

I have to make it clear though I have no idea how to work with modding BIOSes and reading tutorials left me confused and worried that I might damage something. I don’t have a programmer and it’s prohibitively difficult to import where I live.

My specs are:

i5-8300H
GTX 1060 3G
16 GB 2133-DDR4

I don’t know if this will help but in the attachments, I have the BIOS Revision I was using. Downgraded from 308 to 201, no real change so the post in the old thread suggesting it was uncapped was too good to be true

EDIT: fun fact, even ASUS doesn’t list the fx504gm on their website and you can’t get any drivers without a bit of a hassle so yea n1 lol.

FX504GMAS201.zip (4.52 MB)

Bumped for visibility

Update: updated to bios 308 to fix stutters with fps. To anyone who is using a similar device, DO NOT use bios310 as it will screw up your ability to undervolt

FX504GMAS308.zip (4.64 MB)

Bumping this again for visibility

ASUS TUF GAMING FX504 support
latest bios version is 310 (2020/08/17) update to it.was actually easy to find :slight_smile:

Updating management engine firmware also recommended,
Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools

its in installer form,gonna need a dump
As rule of thumb,keep your OS,apps,bios and drivers updated

@RezQ
If your Throttlestop PL1and PL2 are unlocked so you can write new value to it and can’t still get more watts under load, you will be probably out of lucky.
TS guys are most likely right, there are more power limits and bios may not be the only place where it is hidden.
If your PL1, PL2 are locked you may make bios mod (need programmer) or modify setup variable (not need programmer)

I was able to get the help of someone to unlock the bios for me which unlocked all hidden options, but even after messing around for 2 days straight, I got as far as enabling the CPU to go back to the unlocked state if there is no GPU load. No matter what pl settings I changed, C states P states, nothing seemed to do anything beyond that. I’m puzzled as to why this is happening. My thermals are well in check, never exceeding 65C under full load due to changing out the paste. There has to be a way to remove this arbitrary limitation.

@RezQ
Okay but you didn’t say if your PL1 and PL2 in Throttlestop are locked or no.
I was also able to unlock hidden menu on my obsolete machine to no gain.
This is because of power limits are managed by CPU registers.
My friend buyed expensive Dell laptop with recent i9 and it was throotled to 800 Mhz when gpu was under load simultaneously.
He had to execute guarantee after all.

I don’t have them locked, but even when I try to modify them, they still get locked to 25W. I have ample cooling and headroom as I have the upgraded Power supply unit too. I just find it ridiculous.

Bumping this for visibility

Hello man,

Thanks for your help first of all

I faced the same stupid issue. Actually, for some weird reason, Windows 10 updated my laptop bios to 311Ver, and all undervolt and unlocking options were disabled. I downloaded 310V from Asus and flashed it to bios but stupidly enough, after flashing back to 310, the bios automatically updated it to 311!!
I removed the firmware files in c:\windows\firmware folder (i saved my old 303V first) and also disabled device manager->firmware.
So now, Windows does not force-update the firmware and does not have the 311V firmware saved. Hopefully, this will persist.

Right now I have downgraded to my old 303V and throttle-stop is working fine. I downloaded the 308V you uploaded here. I want to ask if it is safe or it is worth to change my 303V to 308V and if it is compatible. I have asus TUF gaming FX504GM with GTX 1060 and 8750H cpu.

I can’t send a private message. If you like send me an email: [email protected]

Regards

Hello man,

Thanks for your help first of all

I faced the same stupid issue. Actually, for some weird reason, Windows 10 updated my laptop bios to 311Ver, and all undervolt and unlocking options were disabled. I downloaded 310V from Asus and flashed it to bios but stupidly enough, after flashing back to 310, the bios automatically updated it to 311!!
I removed the firmware files in c:\windows\firmware folder (i saved my old 303V first) and also disabled device manager->firmware.
So now, Windows does not force-update the firmware and does not have the 311V firmware saved. Hopefully, this will persist.

Right now I have downgraded to my old 303V and throttle-stop is working fine. I downloaded the 308V you uploaded here. I want to ask if it is safe or it is worth to change my 303V to 308V and if it is compatible. I have asus TUF gaming FX504GM with GTX 1060 and 8750H cpu.

I can’t send a private message. If you like send me an email: [email protected]

Regards