risk/benefit of checking "turn off write-cache buffer flushing" on ssd/nvme disk?

wondering about this last option in this picture:

is there any benefit at all in terms of performance by checking this? and what exactly is the risk if lets say my power goes out with this enabled and computer is running/working? data loss? whatever I was working on at the moment or other, older data? possible bricked windows and need to reinstall the OS? or possibly worse in worst case scenario? :smiley:

are there any benchmarks here perhaps between enabled / disabled on this setting?

stupid questions perhaps, but still interested!

@alexander86 :
As I have mentioned >here< (point 8), turning off the Windows write-cache buffer flushing boosts the performance of the related HDD/SSD, but may cause a data loss in case of a sudden power interruption or unexspected reboot.
By the way: Although I have this option permanently checked, I have never had a data loss due to this specific setting.

@Fernando :

BTW Fernando, a friend wanted to test the Openfabrics 1.5 nvme driver but was not happy with results, now he says he want to uninstall the driver to return to win10 native driver, but says option is greyed out in device management, sorry if offtopic but is there a quick way to uninstall it and revert to native driver?

EDIT: asked friend to go device manager → storage controllers → rightclick ofa driver and select properties → “roll back driver” , if and if that does not work for some reason told friend to try second method:

device manager → find the openfabrics driver under storage controllers → right click and select properties → update driver → “browse my computer for driver software” → " let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" → the standard win10 nvme driver should be here, select it and update to this driver ,

hopefully this will work, awaiting results and will know later, but if you know a 100% solution that is easy would appreciate it anyway :slight_smile:

thanks again!

@alexander86 :
You recent post has nothing to do with the thread title you have chosen and nothing to do with the topic of the Sub-Forum “Solid State Drives”.

This is the safest way to retun to a previously used storage driver:
1. Open the Device Manager and expand the related section, where the related SATA or Storage Controller is listed (“IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” or “Storage Controllers”).
2. Right-click onto the related Controller and choose the options “Update Driver Software” > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…”.
3. Provided, that the option “Show compatible devices” is checked, you now can see of all previously installed drivers resp. the names of the related devices. Btw - the “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” uses the generic MS AHCI driver and the “Standard NVMe Controller” the generic MS NVMe driver.
4. Point to tdhe desired Controller name and let the related driver be re-installed.
5. After the next reboot the related SATA or Storage Controller re-uses the desired already previously installed driver.

The possibility to get the formerly used driver back without searching for it is one of the reasons why it is not a good idea to uninstall any previously used driver.

@Fernando :
I understand, sorry for posting off-topic ! I should have sent PM instead.
sorry again and thanks for help !

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post and additional off-topic question removed (to save space)

No, we don’t like PMs asking for private support!
Instead of sending a PM you should post your questions into a matching Forum thread, and if you have various questions about completely different topics, you should post each question into the appropriate Sub-Forum and thread.
Only this way other users with the same question may benefit from the related answer you get.

true :slight_smile: thanks again very much for the help anyway! cheers