RST mobo upgrade problems

Hi,

I have 2 HDDs that were originally set up in Matrix raid under XP on ICH9R, I have since updated from XP to win7 (fresh install onto non-raid SSD in RAID mode) and was happily using the HDDs under RST. I’ve now moved to a new mobo (z97-d3h) and want to enable RAID on my sata controller so that I can access the HDDs/RAID.
I have not done a fresh windows install for the move.

The system boots fine in AHCI, so I updated to the latest chipset drivers and latest RST 13.1.0.1058, rebooted as required, then set the SATA controller to RAID but it gives 0x0000007B BSOD. AHCI still boots fine.

I’ve tried all sorts of settings in the BIOS but can’t get it to boot SATA/RAID.

I plugged in my HDDs (raid1/raid0 combo) and swapped to RAID and it booted - my old HDDs have the original winXP install on there still so was booting that.

I then switched back to AHCI and set SSD as first boot device, so I’m now back on win7 AHCI with the 2 RAID HDDs attached and they seem to be “working”, it’s even doing a verification + repair. But the RST console doesn’t show the drives and the volumes are listed as SCSI disk devices. It shows verify/repair status in the system tray but no mention in the console.

Reading your guide I’m guessing I should have uninstalled the previous RST before installing the latest one, but I’m not sure what I can uninstall - I don’t want to causing it to fail to boot.

I have:
iaStor.sys Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64 10.8.0.1003 Intel Corporation Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver 17/10/2011 14:55:32 31/07/2012 15:15:19 C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\iaStor.sys A iaStor Intel RAID Controller
iaStorA.sys Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver - x64 13.1.0.1058 Intel Corporation Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver 28/05/2014 10:10:20 28/05/2014 10:10:20 C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys A iaStorA
iaStorF.sys Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Filter driver - x64 13.1.0.1058 Intel Corporation Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Filter driver 28/05/2014 10:10:20 28/05/2014 10:10:20 C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorF.sys A iaStorF
iaStorV.sys Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64 8.6.2.1014 Intel Corporation Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver 21/11/2010 04:23:47 21/11/2010 04:23:47 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iaStorV.sys A iaStorV Intel RAID Controller Windows 7

All 4 are set to load in the registry (Start = 0). My previous version of RST was 10.8.0.1003 under Win7.

@ Magnets:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

This BSOD always happens, whn you change the SATA mode from AHCI to RAID (or vice versa) without having previously done the needed registry changes or having forced the installation of the RAID driver.

The only thing, which I recommend to uninstall before running the installer of a new complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set, is the RST Software from within the Control Panel (add/remove programs). I have never recommended to uninstall any AHCI or RAID driver before installing another one.
A switch from AHCI to RAID mode (or vice versa) from within a running OS is always risky. That is why I recommend to do a fresh OS installation after having set the SATA mode the way you want it.

Nevertheless you can try to do the following:

1. Boot into the OS in AHCI mode.
  2. Open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, right click onto the listed "Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" and choose the following options: > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick…" > "Have Disk".
  3. Navigate to the Intel RAID driver, you want to get installed (example: v13.1.0.1058).
  4. Click onto the listed file named "iaStorAC.inf" (not onto the "iaAHCIC.inf"!). Ignore all the warnings and click "OK".
  5. Reboot, enter immediately the UEFI BIOS and set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID".
  6. Now you should be able to reboot into your OS in RAID mode.

Good luck!
Fernando

Is it not possible to have both the AHCI and RAID drivers installed and for windows to pick the one required when it boots?

At the moment I’m in AHCI mode and able to access my RAID volumes (1 and 0), but they are not visible in RST console. Is it safe to use them like this?

I’m using legacy CSM boot not UEFI boot, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

No, that is impossible, because all your drives are connected to Intel SATA ports, which can only be managed either by the Intel SATA AHCI Controller (using the AHCI driver) or by the Intel SATA RAID Controller (needs the Intel RAID driver).

Yes, the RST Console is not really needed as long as the RAID arrays are healthy.
By the way: Which Intel RST Console version are you using?

No, it doesn’t related to your problem.

IAStorUI is 13.1.0.1058

It’s actually complaining about

but doesn’t show any other details anywhere.

From checking the SMART values in HDD guardian, one disk has 28 offline uncorrectable & pending sector errors, the other has 5 so I guess one disk is on it’s way out!