Samsung SM951 NVMe issues

Hi, I have problems with my SSDs Samsung MZVPV256HDGL with firmware BXW7300Q. They are both recognised in windows device manager, but Magician tool and Crystal disk info doesn’t recognise them.
I have installed latest Intel RST drivers, but if I try to install Samsung NVMe driver, so driver manager after restart says Code 31 Device does not exist. I’m unable to show any SMART data or TRIM info. I’m running on Win 10 PRO x64.
And I have latest all drivers and UEFI versions. (Notebook MSI GT73VR 7RE) Can you someone help me? If you want any else info, so I provide that. Thank you

@DasXardas
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The Intel RST driver and the Samsung NVme driver are managing different Controllers.
Please check within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager for the related Intel SATA and Samsung NVMe Controllers and find out, which driver both Controllers are currently using.

Unless you have disabled the TRIM support yourself, you can be sure, that TRIM is active within the Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD. If you want to check it out, I recommend to run the TrimCheck Tool.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

In Storage controllers I have:
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller
Space Controller (With Microsoft driver) - If I try update that with Samsung driver so I got the error 31 device does not exist

I have no IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers installed.

Please check the HardwareIDs and the driver details of that Intel SATA RAID Controller.
Who has configurated the on-board Intel SATA Controller and set it to "RAID" mode?
Are there any additional HDDs/SSDs connected? If yes, which ones and with which SATA mode?

You cannot update/replace the generic driver of the device named "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller".

I have one HDD connected via SATA and two NVMe Samsung SSDs and the controller is in "IRST premium" by default.

Hardware IDs are:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS-11B11462 - Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller
Root\Spaceport - Generic Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

And which are your Samsung SM951 NVMe issues?
Since all your storage disk drives are running in RAID mode and controlled by the Intel Rapid Storage SATA RAID Controller, you cannot expect, that the usual tools (like Samsung’s "Magician") can read your S.M.A.R.T. and TRIM data. This is only possible, if you are running your Samsung SM951 NVMe SSDs as single Disk Drives in NVMe mode managed by the Samsung NVMe Controller.

But I haven’t configured raid from them. I have installed two SSDs but not in raid.
My issues are: If I had a RAID 0 from them so, I was unable to read SMART and TRIM too, and if I install Windows on that RAID or only on single SSD without RAID, so the Windows boots about 7 minutes (with all drivers)
Also If I havent SSDs in RAID so for example Crystal disk info doesn’t show them. I’m confused from that, I thought that if I have te SSDs in RAID so I’ll see SMART data normally for each SSD, and I’m confused from that performance degradation. 7 minutes to boot Windows is extremely much.

If they would not run in RAID mode, you would see either the "Samsung NVMe Controller" (managed by the Samsung NVMe driver) or the "Standard NVM Express Controller" (managed by the generic MS NVMe driver) within the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager.

I haven’t that devices in Device manager. :frowning:

This verifies, that your Samsung SM951 NVMe SSDs are running in Intel RAID mode (probably as members of a RAID0 array).

I haven’t configured any raid. In RST I see that SSDs separately, but ok the driver is not important, but what about the performance degradation? Why the Windows boots so long time? In RAID or not It boots abou 7 minutes, but If I install Windows on that HDD so it boots normally.

Who else has access to to your BIOS and has set the on-board Intel SATA Controller to "RAID"?
If you don’t want to use the Intel RAID driver, you have to set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" and to do a fresh Win10 installation onto one of your Samsung SM951 SSDs in NVMe mode.

I tried to switch to AHCI but the laptop won’t start. I have the MZVPV version without AHCI support, but I’m understand you. Thank you very much. I thought that it works in RAID only if I have any raid configured. Now I’m a bit clever :smiley:

The system doesn’t start, because you have changed the boot configuration.
That is why I gave you the advice to do a fresh install of Win10 by using the new boot configuration.

No, the laptop won’t start. It doesn’t show the MSI logo and I’m unable to go into UEFI setup. :smiley: I must reset CMOS, and after that the controller mode is back to IRST premium.

@DasXardas :
Please enter the BIOS and run the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" Utility.
I suspect, that you or someone else has created a RAID0 array.