SM951 AHCI and 950 Pro Nvme - What works in my Asrock Z87

I own a Asrock Z87 and I’m looking to buy one Lycom DT- 120 or Addonics for use with M.2 based NVMe . I wonder if my motherboard supports BOOT for these M.2 . I checked on the website of the manufacturer and there is no information .

I am in doubt whether I buy the SM951 AHCI or 950 PRO Nvme . A doubt is : If I have native support for AHCI in my BIOS, would not be the right option ?

I tried to use the MMtool to edit the BIOS of my Z87 Extreme4 but could not. He does not think the BIOS file I downloaded from the site Asrock .

I have a friend who will bring me a new SSD and he embarks in 3 days .

Needed a sure not to buy something that will not work here . Which adapter you recommend most ? The Lycom DT -120 has a lot more in the review Amazom than Addonics .

Tks

@frango_jones :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
If I were you, I would buy the NVMe SSD.
I am pretty sure, that you will get it working with your ASRock Z87 mainboard.
By the way:
1. The AHCI settings within the BIOS belong to the on-board Intel and ASMedia SATA Controllers and have nothing to do with an AHCI supporting, but PCIe connected SSD.
2. The AMI Aptio IV UEFI MMTool works fine with your mainboard BIOS.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando , good night . I’m asking because for days I’m researching a computer parts to bring out and this issue of M.2 my motherboard does not have , would invest a lot of money to upgrade the platform for the Z170 and I gave up . Yesterday was almost hitting the hammer in an EVO 256GB and ready . Today I came across the DT -120 adapters Addonics there and I was strengthened …
I have been searching on the booting my motherboard and thankfully , I found your site …
I’m having trouble with both the UBU when MMtool … they do not find the files for editing the BIOS. Already downloaded the three versions (windows , flash and DOS) which has in the Asrock site but none of these are recognized by the programs presented at the forum.
Another question is whether caught the SM951 AHCI or 950 PRO Nvme … I saw the SM951 NVMe is even better than the 950, but more expensive .

If you can give me a hand , thank you.

Thanks

@Frango Jones:
When you want to modify an ASRock mainboard BIOS, you have to
1. download the "pure" BIOS file with an extension with numbers and no exe file and
2. set the MMTool to open "all files".
Then it will work!

Regarding the choice of the SSD you should better ask someone else.

Fernando good night . I managed to open the BIOS on UEFITool and already draws her body to take the capsule . After that I tried to enter the NVMe protoloco via MMtool but it is giving me the following message: "file size exceeds the volume size " … Is there anything to do ? I tried the uncompressed file and the tablet and failed.

You can get some additional space, when you remove BIOS modules, which you don’t use/need. Example: The Intel "RaidDriver" (formerly named "SataDriver") can be removed, if you don’t run the Intel SATA Controller in RAID mode.