Software RAID 0 ?

I’ve spent the last 8 hours researching this but can’t seem to find a clear answer, most guides seem to be directed at boot drives.

I have a rampage IV extreme black X79, boot drive is an SSD on intel sata2 port, on the intel sata3 ports I have 2 evo 840s that I want to run in raid 0 and use only as a data drive for photoshop working files.

I’m wondering if I can just setup a striped array in disk management rather than the other method that involves changing the sata setting in the bios and installing raid drivers etc. Is ther a performance difference if I do it through disk management?

I also have a second pair of evo 840s that I was thinking about setting up as raid 0 for a scratch disk, but they would be on the ASMedia sata controller, I’m not sure if that would support trim though? Most of the discussion I could find on it was a few years old.

Thanks.

@ Hakka:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

That configuration doesn’t make any sense for me:
1. The performance of a system depends mainly on the performance of the system drive (drive C:). The OS should always be installed onto the fastest drive (here: SSD), which is connected to the fastest available Intel SATA3 port.
2. A RAID0 array is not recommended for the storage of data. In case of a bricked RAID0 member you will loose all your data at once.

I don’t have any experience with a Software RAID0, but AFAIK the performance of a "real" Intel RAID0 created after having set the Intel SATA RAID Controller to "RAID", will give your system a much better performance.

No, you would not get TRIM support this way.

Regards
Fernando

Thanks Fernando.

I regularly stack up to 1000 hi res images in photoshop, i want the fastest setup possible for storing these files. Files are backed up to external drives so data loss isn’t a concern.

I only have 2 intel sata6 ports available, currently the boot drive is on one of these ports. I do have enough drives to raid the boot drive on the sata3 ports.

I’m not too concerned about how fast the system boots or launches apps, the stacking performance in photoshop is more important to me. Once i get it set up i’ll run some tests and see what config gives the best results.

Thanks.

Ok, but in your last post you had written, that the boot drive is connected with an Intel SATA2 (3G) port.

That would be fine. I am very interested in your results.

Yes, right now the boot is on sata3 6g but when i reconfigure the drives for raid it will be on a sata3 3g port. maybe i should just get an x99.