[SOLVED] Bricked MSI-Z68A-GD55 G3 BIOS after flashing NVMe modded BIOS

@drewstew656 :
The BIOS version is not affected by the update or additional insertion of any BIOS module.

@Fernando - Sounds like we’re on same page about it a bit now, I mentioned “Leave all here, or move it all back”, which you adding link/warning is OK idea to me too, rather than split it up again and try to move some back leave some here etc.
The same warning to compare all padding and or Non-UEFI data files before/after with UEFITool 51+ needs added to the MMTool section as well, it can add/remove padding files just as easily.
This does not only apply to UEFITool edits, although MMTool may not do it as often, it can and does do the same, to any of the multiple padding type files we’re discussing here.

@drewstew656 - what CPU are you using? This determines what type of PCIE lanes you have (PCIE 2.0 or 3.0). No matter what, you will only see x2 or x4 for the NVME depending on the NVME itself, this is how they are currently made, but what CPU is used can control the PCIE 2.0/3.0 type.
Sandy Bridge CPU can only to 2.0, Ivy can do either 2.0/3.0. So, if you are using Sandy Bridge CPU the most you will see for current transfer mode is PCIE 2.0 x4, for Ivy CPU you can see PCIE 3.0 x4 (Faster, usually twice as fast)

Where exactly are you wanting to see BIOS version name change? Different places need different edits and some may be a risky edit, and this is an unnecessary modification, but it can be done.

@Lost_N_BIOS you’re correct, I figured that PCIe is the bottleneck as well and ordered myself Ivy Bridge Xeon from Aliexpress. once it’s here, this 9 year old computer will get a new kick.
With regards to version number, if I start playing with other mods and insert other drivers, I thought it could be useful to know what version of the Bios I am dealing with when I open it in MMTool or UEFITool. It is probably not as easy as editing it in hexeditor, guess Bios might keep some checksums and if not careful I can brick the board with bad bios.

@drewstew656 - Yes, once you have an IVY CPU then PCIE will run at 3.0. You probably could have found a cheap deal on something at ebay.
For your BIOS version name change and reasoning above, that can be solved by simply making a properly named folder to keep each BIOS edit in, or by simply changing the mod BIOS version name at the windows level, one of those things is what I would do.

I keep all mod BIOS body bin files with various names, and then only put final encapsulated BIOS into USB Flashback named file after edits are done, and then keep that in a properly named edit folder.
Any time you are working on mod BIOS, it shouldn’t be in a capsule or named USB Flashback name anyway, so this should be a simple thing for you to do as I mentioned above.

Yes, it’s not a simple hex edit, well it is at a certain level, but you need to remove modules from the BIOS and edit them and reinsert.
Different BIOS modules that contain this info, show the BIOS version in different places, so where you are looking to see the version change decides what you need to edit (ie boot/Post screen, in BIOS itself, in CPU-z or other informational windows tools, in BIOS editing tools etc)

Sorry for the English from the translator. I have exactly such a motherboard. Using tool 2.6 and flashing through an m-flash, the BIOS crash. If you have the opportunity, share the modified BIOS. And how did they flash the BIOS on the motherboard?
Thanks in advance.

@Kobranius - what does “Tool 2.6” mean? Do you mean UEFITool 26? If yes, don’t use that here, use MMTool to modify this BIOS.
To flash mod BIOS, name it stock BIOS name.extension and then flash with M-Flash

Many thanks

---------------------

Link to bios in a personal message, because I can’t post links on the forum yet.

From a translator. I am Russian.
If it’s still relevant.
If the motherboard and BIOS support screen logo, then draw any picture on which write all your modifications and your version, and flash it into the BIOS. It will show up when loading.
=========
Из переводчика. Я русский.
Если ещё актуально.
Если материнская плата и биос поддерживают скрин лого, то нарисуйте любую картинку, на которой напишите все свои модификации и свою версию, и прошейте её в биос. Она будет отображаться при загрузке.