[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H cannot boot in AHCI mode if HDD initialized in GPT

What do you mean exactly?

I meant did they ever get back to you with test results or more BIOS to fix this issue?

I have never heard from runn3R, and my story with Gigabyte techsupport since April is fully disclosed here: t6186f16-Gigabyte-GA-Z-X-UD-H-cannot-boot-in-AHCI-mode-if-HDD-initialized-in-GPT-or-MBR-could-BIOS-mod-help-3.html#msg116985#msg116985 - if you need any details, please ask specifically. :slight_smile: In the end they told me they ordered the same model of HDD a few days ago and I have to wait at least 1 more month, that’s when I decided to disclose all my adventures with them here.

@Tacis - So bump your ticket with them, surely they have a drive in for testing now!! Keep on them, they’ll test it out and fix I bet, especially since they ordered in the exact drive model

No, they didn’t have a 4Kn drive at all. And they do want to test the exact model and they ordered it "abroad" and they said it will take a month to receive it and it’s been only a few days now.

But, what I discovered is this:

1. Enable the "Intel Rapid Start Technology" and set "Rapid Start store search type" to "PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller".
2. Save and reboot.
3. Disable the "Intel Rapid Start Technology".
4. System boots OK.

I’m thinking that’s enough for me to mark the issue as solved, I’m so fed up with waiting so I don’t really care WHY THE F*** the "Rapid Start store search type" has to do with the drive IF THE "Intel Rapid Start Technology" IS DISABLED.

@ex58 they approved my account at the UK forum! Thank you! I will write a post there.

@Lost_N_BIOS any chance I could change the default setting for “Rapid Start store search type” to “PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller”? I’ve tried AMIBCP 4.55 - it just closes instead of saving changes.

Yup, OK now ,I know.

@Tacis - Which BIOS version do you want me to make that edit on? I Checked your AMIBCP concern, I tested on F10b, and see same issue. Anyway, no worries, I will make the change for you manually in all areas (more than AMIBCP changes too)
Your editing the "Rapid Start store search type" setting in the debug folder right (no name folder, under system info)?

Thank you! F10b will be great. But don’t do it yet, they received the HDD today and presented me a video of successfull booting… in IDE mode! :smiley: I had to use all my power of will to resist the facepalm (don’t touch your face!).

But anyway, they agreed to make this change to BIOS image as a resolution to the issue, so I will wait a little more, maybe they will finally produce something.

I have no idea, there is "Rapid Start store search type" in the noname folder and in the Peripherals, so I don’t know what exactly to change. Anyway, let’s wait, let them make a change, they would know for sure (but since they tested the new 4Kn HDD in IDE mode, I’m not sure they’re not trolling me).

@Tacis - Thanks, I did not see the one in peripherals. The one I mentioned is the “Debug” setting, but I will change both in this mod, and then you can use this BIOS for a while, until they get you a tested working BIOS sent as follow up after their NON-IDE tests if they eventually get to those

Yes, that is a little bit “Troll-y” of them, but maybe they just wanted to be thorough, although if it were me and I was testing and wanting to do that I’d leave out the IDE stuff when showing you my testing, for fear of being suspected troll
F10b >> Rapid Start store search type >> HARD Set >> PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller coming shortly, if you’re reading this now and no link here, refresh in about 10 minutes
* Edit - @Tacis - Here you go, and it may now be visible option to you in peripherals too (if not, let me know and I can make follow up edit to make it visible, I think )
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…515521660426210

Was this confirmed working settings change, or something you only wanted to try because someone said it “may help”?

@Tacis
Is option 1 "PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller" in BIOS and option 3 "Intel Rapid Start Technology" in system software?
Is the #70 modified version of BIOS a perfect solution to this problem?

@thinking - We are only talking BIOS here, no software. He’s not confirmed the edited BIOS for me, you can flash and check it to see if option is visible or not, if it’s not then I can make visible but 1-2 more test BIOS would need to confirm which edit makes it visible.
In that BIOS, setting “Rapid Start store search type” Is HARD Set by default to >> PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller - If visible you can change it though if needed. If it’s not visible to you, 1-2 more test BIOS needed before it would be visible to you
If you test BIOS at #70 and it’s not visible, let me know, I will make other two BIOS for you to test which makes it visible.

@Lost_N_BIOS
Oh, I see. But I don’t understand his method of operation at #65.
My hard disk is 512-native format. Without 4K-native, this BIOS may not be able to play its role

@thinking - It’s disabled by default in BIOS now, so post #65 does not matter here. If you do not have a 4Kn drive then this BIOS or thread is not for you I suppose
You use normal BIOS from Gigabyte website, update to whatever version you want, and format drive as you see fit, you should not have any issues, the issues discussed here only affect 4Kn drives

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thank you for your answer. Every BIOS you modified is successful.
Let’s wait for Tacis’ reply.

@thinking - Thanks, but not all mod BIOS I make are good, sometimes bad and brick, accidents happen! But, this one, it’s OK I’m sure, easy edits here.
Only I did not make package of 1-3 BIOS, to try and make the setting he wanted visible for sure, it may or may not be, but it’s set to what he wanted by default now.
If it’s not visible still then 2 more BIOS edits to test on top of that one will make it visible, one byte change each test BIOS

But, as mentioned, if you do not have 4Kn drive, then you do not need to worry about this setting, or this issue he was having and trying to fix, your drive will function 100% properly

@Lost_N_BIOS thank you for the effort, but I didn’t have to use your image because they finally sent me what I’ve been waiting for 4 months. Here you go, the long-waited T2 BIOS for the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H with 4Kn drives support:

https://dropmefiles.com/DBOiF
https://www4.zippyshare.com/v/NdOaSaGS/file.html
https://gofile.io/d/0TWG0E

I have no idea what they changed, but I think the same as @Lost_N_BIOS. So thanks everyone, the journey is now finished! :slight_smile:

@Tacis - GREAT To hear they finally fixed for you!!! If you want to confirm the setting thing you mentioned is the fix, you’ll have to test that F10b I made for you
I did look at this setting in T2 BIOS, it is now by default set to what we changed it to (in peripherals and hidden/debug too). So we can at least tell from this, that setting does have something to do with the fix, if it’s not the entire fix itself.

@Lost_N_BIOS
Because of language and technical knowledge, I don’t fully understand what you mean. I understand that you said that you found similar changes in the T2 version of the BIOS to your modified version.

However, I installed the T2 version of BIOS that Tacis gave me. It seems that there is no option change in the peripherals?

In addition, I don’t know which version of T2 is modified based on, F10B, f10c, f10d? But it seems that the code has changed a lot??

@thinking - Yes, the change I made (setting “Rapid Start store search type” Set by default to >> PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller) is same in T2, but that is all I looked at. I did not check to see if it should be visible, nor do we know if it’s visible yet or not in the BIOS I made, no one tested and let me know yet.
No way to know what is changed, other than microcodes, or BIOS option roms, and no way to tell what it’s based on, sorry. I assume F10d onwards, but could be F11 etc. You can’t compare by hex and know, due to internal volume compressions it would always look very different even if only one byte was changed

Do you want me to take T2, and make you 1-3 BIOS that would make the setting visible to you?