[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H cannot boot in AHCI mode if HDD initialized in GPT

I think you mixed up first and last message. :slight_smile: Pay attention to the date/time, the bottom message is the first, the top message is the last.

OK, will try that, thank you!

No, sorry, I didn’t test it since Lost_N_BIOS already replied that it would just electrically disable the port. If it’s crucial, I could try later.

Yes, only to test if it just POST or something else. Turns out, it’s just POST.

Yes, and now we come to next part: I found the culprit, but I don’t really understand, what really did I do. :slight_smile: So I had some time and hopelessness after gigabytes’ reply, I decided to tamper with HDD in hex editor.

I found something in 0x1000-0x1060 and deleted it (filled with "00"). After reboot it didn’t freeze the POST! Also, that part recreated itself and now it’s still there (with some changes), but it doesn’t freeze the POST!

Now, I need to clarify, what exactly happened after I deleted that part (0x1000-0x1060) and what are these changes. Everything is OK for now (I’ve tried rebooting, creating folders, copying files), but before I use the disk, I need to know if it will be OK in future. Can you please have a look?

No, sorry, I didn’t test it since Lost_N_BIOS already replied that it would just electrically disable the port. If it’s crucial, I could try later.

:frowning:

Yes, and now we come to next part: I found the culprit, but I don’t really understand, what really did I do. :slight_smile: So I had some time and hopelessness after gigabytes’ reply, I decided to tamper with HDD in hex editor.

I found something in 0x1000-0x1060 and deleted it (filled with "00"). After reboot it didn’t freeze the POST! Also, that part recreated itself and now it’s still there (with some changes), but it doesn’t freeze the POST!

Now, I need to clarify, what exactly happened after I deleted that part (0x1000-0x1060) and what are these changes. Everything is OK for now (I’ve tried rebooting, creating folders, copying files), but before I use the disk, I need to know if it will be OK in future. Can you please have a look?

I suppose that you edited this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Parti…e_header_(LBA_1)
I have no idea about what are the meaning of your values, I’m not hexadecimal friendly…

GPT has two Partition Tables, one at LBA 1 and other at the end of the disk. If the first table is corrupted, it uses the backup one at the end. I have no idea if the Firmware can automatically read the second table and whenever it or Windows replaces it with the backup, or that only happens if you use specialized partitions tools (Which you did not use if you claim it happened automatically). Your case is weird.

@Tacis - Yes, I did see that a little oddly. The bottom question and reply is mainly what I was referring to as good, top/first question/bad but I guess at that point it didn’t matter (now that i read it again).
Some techs help, some don’t. If you can get the guys (admin/Runn3r) at UK site to reply, he will get someone on it for you for sure

Good find!! Per what zir_Blazer linked

10-13h
48-4Bh << This = Last usable LBA (secondary partition table first LBA − 1)
58-5Bh << “Part” of this data = Disk GUID in mixed endian. Part because it starts at 56h = 16 bytes so you only changed some of it

Other than that, I do not know, and I do think the linked wiki info needs updated/looks a bit off (in defined lengths start/end of each item, and or current used info etc).
But I know nothing about any of this in relation to disks/partitions etc. I’d need a more in depth/defined, or more recent guide on this to have a better understanding

:frowning:
If I disable the port, I cannot access HDD from Windows. How can I enable port from Windows?

What I meant is that I started with a small right question, then after a generic advice (which took days to put together) I decided I need to elaborate. And that didn’t went well. :slight_smile: Also I feel now I shouldn’t have to be so open so they could spit inside my soul. Really frustrating and cold what they did.

I’m still waiting (almost for 2 weeks now) for my account to be approved. If you know any admin from that forum, can you please ask them to approve my account? Username is the same - Tacis, registered 15 Mar 2020.

I will research on that before declaring that this is real solution for the issue. Thank you.

Maybe @ket or @POE_UK or @ex58 - could send PM to Runn3R at the GBT UK forums to approve your account @Tacis
If not, can’t you post as guest there too?

I send PM to Runn3R…

Thank you @ex58 Maybe now he can get in touch with someone there who can and will actually setup a board and test with a native 4K HDD and see if issue is repeatable in the lab

Nope, guest cannot post messages there…

Thank you!

Thats a rebranded HGST drive, that Z97 might need an update to recognise disks over 2TB, or you could try contacting WD and asking them to send you the latest firmware for the drive with flash tool to see if that makes a difference. Lastly you could try partitioning the drive in to 1/2TB partitions to see if the drive is recognised that way.

But it does recognize the disk in IDE and RAID mode. And I’m using the latest BIOS.

I could, but the drive is perfectly functional after POST in AHCI and in any way in IDE and RAID mode.

Tried, as it says in the title of this post, MB freezes during POST when HDD is initialized - no need to create any partitions at all.

@ex58 I’m sorry, did Runn3R reply anything? I still didn’t receive confirmation email and I still cannot login to that forum…

Some news here. :slight_smile: Support sent me a BIOS file, which didn’t make a change, then they said they will be testing, and after a week of testing they asked me if freezing is on logo or before logo. That’s all for now.

@ex58 are there any news from UK forum?

@Tacis
The latest version BIOS of this motherboard on website is F10b.

Is this the same version of BIOS that customer service send to you?

No reply yet…

2020-04-03_225516.png

No, they sent F10d.

OK, thank you. Sorry for bothering, I’ll just wait now.

@Tacis - Great to hear they are working on this for you, I thought they would once someone would start looking into it.
Please post the F10d file, thanks

@Tacis
Under which name you apply there…?
runn3R cant found your name.

Edit:

Tacis, registered 15 Mar 2020.

2020-04-17_203331.png

I’m sorry, guys, for the silence, but I’ve waited for the Gigabyte techsupport to figure out what is going on with the motherboard and the HDD. I’ve waited a week, then another, they replied that they are testing something.

Then they tell me that everything is working - and write a partnumber of non-4Kn drive. Then I told them that they need 4Kn drive to see the freeze. Then I wait and wait, every week they reply they are testing.

Then they send me another BIOS image, which made my MB freeze with or without any HDD or SSD.

Then again, testing, testing, then after my next angry reply they send me a T1 BIOS, which is supposedly a testing prototype or something, which didn’t change anything for the freeze.

Then they send me video of another HDD booting OK with the motherboard. And guess what? That other HDD is not 4Kn, as I told them months ago.

I offered them my help and support multiple times, Zoom, Google Hangouts, anything, they declined and now they told me they ordered a brand new 4Kn HDD of exactly my model to test. HDD will arrive within a month (fuck!). And then again they will test something.

So I have these 3 unpublished BIOS images, they allowed me to share them in private messages. PM me if you need the images.

@ex58 thank you, but it seems like they did not activate me, but even blocked me. Now I get this when I try to re-register:

Annotation 2020-06-30 224317.png

Can you please share my email to runn3R?

Send to runn3R.

Thank you!

Also, I’ve seen a possible solution to the issue: enable the "Intel Rapid Start Technology" and set "Rapid Start store search type" to "PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller". It is working, but why? And what are the consequences?

Did Gigabyte or runn3r ever follow back up with you on this @Tacis