[Solved Problem] No NVMe Support after CPU Upgrade

Helo. I flash the modded bios in july 2022 and everything is working flawless on my FM2+ system. From that day, i didn’t made any hardware changes, just windows 10 official updates. Today, someone gave me an A-7800 FM2+ processor and i try to upgrade it, but it seems the bios lose the NVMe support, is not even show the device. If i put back the old processor, everything is ok. Has anyone facing this issue? Do i have to re-update the bios with the modded one? Thank you in advance.

Edit by Fernando:
Since the reason for the failure has been detected now, I have customized the title of the thread.

@brabijo
The content of the “BIOS Region” will not be changed by a replacement of the CPU.
Please post a screenshot of the Device Manager after having expanded the “Disks” and “Storage Controllers” sections.

That’s what I thought too…Now, I can’t reach “Device Manager”, i can’t boot from ssd because the bios didn’t recognise the device. I will try to make a copy of the operating system or to install a new one on an old hdd, to see if i can reach Windows. After the processor change, in the bios is nothing like PATA or Windows Boot Manager, that it means the bios lose the NVMe driver. But, if i put back the old processor, everything is OK.

@brabijo
Enter the BIOS, set CSM temporarily to “Disabled” and look into the “BOOT” section.
Do you see now a device named “PATA”?

Can this be a defective CPU? Do you have another PCIe card (graphics?) to test the slot?

Everything is disabled. I replace the processor, i make photos, i put back the old processor, i make photos, i upload the photos to a host, now i’m back again

Hope they will be in order, 1 to 4, bios with new processor, 5 to 8, with the old one
I’ve changed also the RAM modules i put 2 x 8 GB modules 1600 MHz instead the 2 x 4 GB 1600 MHz…nothing changes

@ lfb6, i don’t have a graphic card mounted, i use the integrated video in the processor, i have only a sound card in the PCI x1 and the adapter in the PCIe x 16 slot. The motherboard is AsRock FM2A88M-HD+. Honestly, i don’t know what to think, the processor is alright, is a little bit warm, than the other, because i use the same stock cooler, i didn’t put Alpenfohn that it cames with him, and anyway, it gaves me video signal to see whats happened in the bios. The slot is ok otherwise i couldn’t boot from the ssd with the other processor. The only probability is to be something wrong with the pci-e controller inside the processor, but, i will have to check this tryin to install an operating system on an old hdd and to test with a graphic card mounted on the pci-e x16 slot, or to flash again the bios, or to test all the suppositions on other board.

@brabijo
The screenshots/pictures 3 and 7 showing the “Boot” settings and options are extremely different.
Questions:

1. Which BIOS settings did you change after having replaced the CPU by another model?
    Note: Usually you should set everything to “Default” and redo the individual settings thereafter.
  2. Which are the hidden undermost settings/options of picture 7 (you have to scroll down the tab)?

I didn’t change anything, i leave the bios settings untouched. It looks like the bios settings are reset themselves. Picture 3 is with A10-7800, picture 7 is with A4-6300. Pictures from 1 to 4 are with A10-7800, the pictures from 5 to 8 are with A4-6300.
I will try to check the on the other motherboard with a graphic card mounted on the PCIe x 16 slot, the A10-7800 processor who show this issue to see if he communicate with the graphic card.

L.E. Is the first time in 23 years of using and building computers, when i’m facing this issue.
SOLVED! Tested the A4-6300 with an ATI 5450HD mounted in the pci-e x16 slot, where it was the adapter with NVMe ssd, i have video signal, tested A10-7800 with the same graphic card, on other motherboard, no video signal, it works only with his video chip. The processor’s pci-e controller is broken. Thanks a lot for your support!

2 Likes