[Solved] Problems to get XP x64 installed onto an Intel X79 system

Just made an account to say thanks as I’ve now managed to install Xp x64 Pro on an Asus Rampage 4 Extreme motherboard with RAID enabled as well on an SSD too! Actually I finished this a month ago, but for some reason your forums didn’t send me an activation link so I just gave up then. Now I found out that that email address I put in didn’t even work! hahaha, I did a couple test emails to it and it bounced back saying it failed. So now I’ve registered with an email that will take emails and not bounce back.

Yeah I even had to contact Asus tech support to help me install XP x64 Pro, haha - but in the end I was the one who found the answer to it! Yeah I even read through all 30 pages on this, I think I was on page 24 or 26 that I managed to find(or rather worked out) a solution.

Long story short, it would seem that XP was not designed to ran on newer Intel chipsets due to some limitation or something(I can’t where I read this, probably in one of these posts or something or externally somewhere) and that even with F6 floppy discs, it says it won’t accept. So the drivers aren’t dodgy, its XP that is throwing a fit about it. I thought it was dodgy/crappy drivers, but I now believe it could just be that XP is simply too old for new hardware.

Now if I didn’t come late to the PC gaming scene, nor had I have this much fondness over XP, I would have just installed windows 7x64 Pro and be done with it. But nope - I had to dual boot XP and 7. XP for nostalgia GUI interface and to play/run older software/games that either won’t run in 7, run in 7 but not properly or does run in 7 properly but rather run it in XP for better performance since there’s less stuff running the background. Unfortunately(or I’ve yet to test out the remaining possible solution drivers), it would appear SLi is completely disabled(yes even dual-SLi which is what I was going after - well the only SLi solution for XP anyways as Tri-SLi and Quad-SLi is limited by XP’s core system(actually XP can just do Tri-SLi but nVidia decides to not enable it) - which is unfortunate but they still managed to get the 7950GX2 in SLi under XP - but that was awhile go and was shotty at best, or so I read) for XP as it’s old stuff so that means no SLi option for nvidia control panel for my two 770s… I wonder if …no AMD dropped support for XP after the 7000 series, so no chance there will be CF support for nVidia’s 700 series equivalent gen cards, which are the R9 200 series. Oh well.

Oh yeah and your driver pack doesn’t support(or include) IRST so when I switched the RAID mode from RSTe to IRST in BIOS, XP would BSOD.

But yeah, below are my comments to the few stuff I’ve read through.
==========================================================================

Actually, in my case this wasn't the easiest(but would've been safest if it worked). You have no idea what I went through to install XP x64 Pro on Rampage 4 Extreme.............
[quote="Fernando, post:1, topic:25310"] Informations regarding the possibility and necessity of loading/integrating the Intel Controller drivers:[ul]
  • None of the Windows Operating Systems which were released before Windows 2000 (Windows 3.11, Windows 95/98 and Windows ME) do support the actual Intel SATA and RAID Controllers (no working textmode drivers available).

• Even Windows 2000 does not fully support actual Intel chipset systems and their onboard Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers. Nevertheless it may be possible to get W2k installed onto an up-to-date PC. For details I recommend to read >this< useful post written by Joe1962.

• The latest versions of Windows XP (32/64bit) and Windows Server 2003 (32/64bit) are able to detect actual Intel S-ATA Controllers during the OS installation and will handle them as "normal" IDE Controllers, if the BIOS S-ATA settings are set to "IDE mode". In this case you don't need to load/integrate any Intel textmode drivers, but you have to abandon the features AHCI and RAID.
  • [/quote]
    Actually - I did, at one point, managed to install windows ME and 98SE(no idea about win 95 or 3.11 as I don't have their respective installation discs) on a HDD that was using SATA, rather than the older PATA connecter. Just make sure it's set to IDE; but of course, you won't be able to to take advantage of ACHI/RAID.
    [quote="Fernando, post:1, topic:25310"]
  • Users who are going to install XP or W2k3 and want to get benefit of the Intel S-ATA Controller features AHCI or RAID, have to enable them within BIOS prior to the OS installation and additionally have to integrate the appropriate Intel textmode driver into the OS CD or to load it via F6/floppy during the installation. Otherwise Windows Setup will not detect the Intel S-ATA Controller connected hard disk drives.
  • [/quote]
    ....or you can use the method that I did and install the drivers via Device Manager and then reboot making sure you checked that ACHI/RAID is enabled on the SATA controller the SSD/HDD is on, under BIOS. Or else it will BSOD if you forget/don't.
    Zitat von Fernando

These Intel Chipset Device INF files are no drivers and are not able to switch the SATA mode of the related Intel IDE Controller.

The usual (and safest) way to get Windows XP installed onto a HDD/SSD running in AHCI mode is to set the Intel SATA Controller within the BIOS to “AHCI” before starting the XP installation and then booting off a Windows XP CD with integrated Intel AHCI driver (example: v11.2.0.1006). Nevertheless it is possible (but may end with an unbootable system) to switch the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI from within a running XP.

This is the way how to do it:
    1. Download the “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando” (you find it within the start post of this thread) and unzip it into a separate folder of your PC.
    2. Boot into Windows XP in IDE mode.
    3. Open the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager and search for the Intel SATA Controller, where your system drive is connected (may be actually named “LynxPoint-LP SATA Controller” or “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”).
    4. Right click onto the Intel SATA Controller, which is managing your XP system drive, and chose the following options: “Update Driver Software” > “Browse my Computer…” > “Let me pick…” > “Have Disk”.
    5. Navigate into the folder containing the unzipped modded “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode Driver v11.2.0.1006”, click onto the file named iaAHCI.inf and choose the device named “Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller DEV_8C82 (added by Fernando)”.
    6. Disregard all warnings you get and install the driver.
    7. Enter the BIOS while rebooting, set the Intel SATA Controller to “AHCI” and save this new setting.
    8. Reboot.
    9. If you are lucky, you will now boot into Windows XP running in AHCI mode.

- post #230: Says drivers aren't compatible with this hardware...
    Zitat von Fernando

You will not be able to use the bootable XP x64 image, which is on the USB Flash Drives, because the file named TXTSETUP.SIF has to customized for being usable with Intel 9-Series SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers.
    So you have to create a new Windows XP x64 image with integrated Intel AHCI/RAID driver from scratch.
    By the way: For the creation of a bootable USB flash drive I recommend to use the tool Rufus instead of WinSetup or WinToFlash. If you should not be able to boot off any USB flash drive in LEGACY mode (this was the case with my ASRock Z97 board), you will have to create a bootable XP x64 CD with integrated “Universal 64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando”.

AFAIK you cannot install a “normal” Windows XP image onto an USB flash drive. The only possibility to boot into a Windows XP environment from an USB flash drive is the BartPE method (look >here<).

- post #132: Says "This image is either non-bootable, or it uses a boot or compression method that is not supported by Rufus..." And All I've done is slipstream SP2 and post updates that came after that using nLite....

EDIT by Fernando: To make this post better readable, I have re-formatted it.

@ TheNewGuy1:
    Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your long and detailed report.

You have written and quoted a lot, but it is not easy to find the way how you managed it at least.
    Can you please give us a short step by step report?

Thanks n advance!
    Dieter (alias Fernando)

Sure, here’s the steps I took:

1: Have BIOS set Intel SATA controller to IDE, had Blu-ray drive on the same controller. Nothing on ASmedia’s SATA controller. Also have the only SSD connected to that Intel controller as well.
    2: You should have only the drive you want to install XP in and the optical disc drive (ODD) connected(I think I also connected the SSD to SATA0 and the ODD to SATA1 - can’t quite remember), all other drives disconnected.
    3: Install XP x64 SP2 Pro as usual. I had already slipstreamed SP2 and all, minus the remaining 2k3 updates, XP x64 updates after SP2 into it.
    4: Once XP x64 is fully installed and you are able to boot into desktop, do the necessary modifications so that XP is SSD friendly, follow this link(not loading for me for some reason - might be down or forum is deleted; but I printed the stuff out a few years ago) for further information. Just make sure you do everything that’s there before you restart. That’s if you just installed it onto a SSD. If not then you can ignore this step.
    5: After going through a few days with Asus Tech support, I found out there was a way to install the RAID/ACHI without needing to F6 FDD or slipstreaming - as this failed for some reason. This pretty much explains this step for me so I don’t have to repeat. But of course you can also use this method to install the RAID driver and enable RAID instead of ACHI.
    6: ???
    7: Done, after this step, I would go on to install windows 7 for a dual boot system.

@ TheNewGuy1:
    Thank you for having posted a short step-by-step guide about how you succeeded with the XP x64 installation.

Although the way you had chosen has nothing to do with the topic of this thread (you didn’t integrate any textmode driver), I want to add a comment and some questions:

1. >Here< is a working link to a copy of the guide about how to “Make XP Pro SSD friendly”.
    2. You forgot to mention, which Intel AHCI driver you had installed at least.
    3. What is the difference between >this< and >this< guide (besides the 32/64bit architecture of the used AHCI driver)??
    4. Zitat von TheNewGuy1 im Beitrag #1

Zitat von Fernando

The usual (and safest) way to get Windows XP installed onto a HDD/SSD running in AHCI mode is to set the Intel SATA Controller within the BIOS to “AHCI” before starting the XP installation and then booting off a Windows XP CD with integrated Intel AHCI driver (example: v11.2.0.1006). Nevertheless it is possible (but may end with an unbootable system) to switch the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI from within a running XP.
      1. Download the “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando” (you find it within the start post of this thread) and unzip it into a separate folder of your PC.
      3. Open the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager and search for the Intel SATA Controller, where your system drive is connected (may be actually named “LynxPoint-LP SATA Controller” or “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”).
      4. Right click onto the Intel SATA Controller, which is managing your XP system drive, and chose the following options: “Update Driver Software” > “Browse my Computer…” > “Let me pick…” > “Have Disk”.
      5. Navigate into the folder containing the unzipped modded “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode Driver v11.2.0.1006”, click onto the file named iaAHCI.inf and choose the device named “Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller DEV_8C82 (added by Fernando)”.
      7. Enter the BIOS while rebooting, set the Intel SATA Controller to “AHCI” and save this new setting.
      8. Reboot.

- post #230: Says drivers aren't compatible with this hardware...
      This message is absolutely correct and foreseeable, when you try to install an Intel AHCI driver for an Intel SATA IDE Controller. Both devices have completely different DeviceIDs. Nevertheless the user has to force the installation of this "wrong" driver, if he/she wants to get the correct one after the reboot and the switch from "IDE" to "AHCI" within the BIOS.

Actually I did try to integrade the textmode drivers, both the versions from my motherboard’s driver disc, the ones from Asus driver page download(which would be the latest) and your yours. I didn’t mention it as it wasn’t the solution that got it working.

Of them three, I would get an error upon searching for that driver sys file whilst loading XP disc(that’s one of the errors I took a picture of at the time, there were more but I didn’t bother taking pictures of them - or I did but I deleted them…):

or it would get through, but when I get to the point of choosing which drive to install XP on, it would then say that there is no drives detected and all that stuff:

OR if I do manage to get pass loading XP install disc AND able to pick out my SSD drive, then it would go on to copying the files from disc to SSD but get stuck on this Enterprise driver thingy, here:

And from there I would spam the continue button but nothing happens. I even connected my USB FDD with said F6 drivers on them and still nothing. So yeah, either buggy drivers, buggy XP install disc or as said earlier, XP had no intentions of being install on newer chipsets like the x79…but that still shouldn’t excuse the fact that it should still work. On the box and on the manufacturer’s product site, it says it supports XP. Now why would they still mention this if XP wasn’t meant to be installed on newer systems like this one?? Is it because it can work but you may get problems, though this wasn’t stated either? Or are they pulling the legs of people who thought this would actually work? Whatever the case may be, I did get it working though, unfortunately I won’t make use of IRST’s advantage of enabling TRIM on RAID0 SSDs…but RSTe still fine; I’m just glad it’s all over now! Heh - all that hair pulling moments, I think I’ve gone bald! Hahahahaa

Yes, that’s the one, looks like whoever archived that, did it before the new forum took over.

Yes I was searching why I wasn’t able to load the page only to find out they wipe the forums clean! Oh well good thing I printed the useful stuff on paper before it all disappeared into nothingness! A lot of this is actually pretty useful if you’re planning onto using a SSD for XP.

I installed the latest one from one of your custom Intel ACHI/RAID driver for x79 chipset on the first page. I used these ones(the 64-bit one of course):

Uh no difference, same procedure, just one has pictures to illustrate and the other doesn’t. But yes, I would have quoted your post instead if I wasn’t so lazy to go back through all them pages to look for it. Plus this was a month ago and I no longer have the incentive to go through all that again! hahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #4
  • Zitat von TheNewGuy1 im Beitrag #1

Zitat von Fernando

8. Reboot.

- post #230: Says drivers aren’t compatible with this hardware…

This message is absolutely correct and foreseeable, when you try to install an Intel AHCI driver for an Intel SATA IDE Controller. Both devices have completely different DeviceIDs. Nevertheless the user has to force the installation of this “wrong” driver, if he/she wants to get the correct one after the reboot and the switch from “IDE” to “AHCI” within the BIOS.

• Yeah, I remember this one, I just had all these short comments on a notepad txt file, thinking someday I might return to this forum to thank the guy. Well that day is today(or rather yesterday because I posted it yesterday).

There was an windows error that wouldn’t let me install it for some reason. It just says that, error window and wouldn’t proceed to install. I can’t exactly remember how I solved that or if this was to do with another driver and not the ones you provided or it was the drivers you provided but I somehow found a way to get it installed! haha, damn brain cells gone dead… -.- I knew I should have explain this sentence more in my txt file!

Is there anything else you would like me to answer/comment on?

@ TheNewGuy:
    Thanks for the reply to my comments and the inserted pictures, which are very meaningful.

Just to finish our completely off-topic discussion here are some additional remarks regarding your pictures:

1. The Windows XP Setup message

indicates, that you had integrated
      a) a driver, whose architecture didn’t match the architecture of the OS (either you had integrated a 32bit driver into XP x64 or vice versa you integrated a 64bit driver into the 32bit variant of Windows XP), and
      b) a driver, which has never been offered by me for the XP/XP x64 integration (none of my offered driverpacks contain a file named iaStorA.sys) and
      c) a driver, which cannot be integrated into Windows XP/XP x64 CD, because none of the “Enterprise Edition” Intel RST drivers named iaStorA.sys contain the required file named TXTSETUP.OEM.

2. The Windows XP Professional Setup message

indicates again, that you had inserted a wrong (not XP compatible) driver.

I installed the latest one from one of your custom Intel ACHI/RAID driver for x79 chipset on the first page.

Do you really mean the first page of this thread? I doubt it, because none of them contain an Intel RSTe driver named iaStorA.sys.
    Which is in your eyes “the latest” driver for X79 Chipsets? Can you please post the version number?

Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #6
    1. The Windows XP Setup message

indicates, that you had integrated
    a) a driver, whose architecture didn’t match the architecture of the OS (either you had integrated a 32bit driver into XP x64 or vice versa you integrated a 64bit driver into the 32bit variant of Windows XP), and
    b) a driver, which has never been offered by me for the XP/XP x64 integration (none of my offered driverpacks contain a file named iaStorA.sys) and
    c) a driver, which cannot be integrated into Windows XP/XP x64 CD, because none of the “Enterprise Edition” Intel RST drivers named iaStorA.sys contain the required file named TXTSETUP.OEM.[/li]

If it was a), it wouldn’t even let me install it into my USB FDD if I chose 32-bit driver instead of 64-bit, and yes I even attempted to see if I could install the 32-bit driver for the F6 thing, but it won’t even let me install it onto my USB FDD. For b), yeah well then in that case most of the tries were from the motherboard driver disc and manufacturer’s driver download page. And for c), If it cannot be integrated, then how come nlite allowed it so?
    Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #6
    2. The Windows XP Professional Setup message

indicates again, that you had inserted a wrong (not XP compatible) driver.

So you saying the drivers that were given to me from the manufacturer’s driver download page and the ones from the disc are not XP compatible? Which means there weren’t any drivers for XP 64-bit to start with! False advertising! I would have bought a different motherboard if this was the case, actually it would have been too late to change now anyways - got the board in 2013 and it’s only in 205 that I have managed to gather all the necessary bits and pieces for my build.

Does this screenshot, coming from my XP x64 system, satisfy your desires?

Obviously I never got the ones from Asus working, because of errors and BSODs and the like…
    You mentioned it was the latest RSTe driver that had support for XP (32-bit/64-bit) and the later ones after that don’t have textmode for integration of F6 FDD driver install, no? That, in my eyes, is the latest, according to you.
    For my windows 7 system, the RSTe driver from the manufacturer’s website is worked perfectly fine without a hiccup - but that’s to be expected on a RAID/ACHI compliant operating system.
    Any more clarifications on my part? hahaha.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the quoted text and the dispensable super sized desktop screenshot have been removed (to save space). The shown version number of the Intel RST driver was 11.2.0.1006.

@TheNewGuy1 :

Thanks for your very detailed (but too big sized) reply.
    Since our discussion became meanwhile very voluminous and had not much to do with the original topic “Integration of Intel’s AHCI/RAID drivers into a Windows XP CD”, I have moved all your posts and my replies into a new thread, hoping, that this is ok for you.

My conclusion:
    It is fine, that you succeeded at least by switching the SATA mode from within a running XP x64.
    Your efforts to get Windows XP x64 installed from scratch in AHCI mode by integrating an Intel AHCI driver into the XP x64 image failed, because you or someone else had integrated wrong resp. not compatible AHCI drivers.

Enjoy your XP x64 running in AHCI mode!

Yes yes, if this is what you think. :slight_smile:

I thought you didn’t mind pictures/screenshots to illustrate things? And apparently my screenshot was too big for your taste! hahaha, imagine someone coming in with 3840x2160 screenshot from their UHD display! I’ll crop(the important parts) the same screenshot here, for those who like seeing pictures as illustrations(hope you don’t mind Fernando!):

Hm, which reminds me, I should have referred Asus Tech support to here, where I got the working driver for RAID/ACHI. Hmmm, that also got me thinking - if you didn’t change anything in the driver - just left it as is(but not sure how you still manage break the digital signature seal of Intel if you didn’t change anything), then how come your driver worked whilst the ones provided by Asus, didn’t…? This is the aftermath and just wondering…very mysterious, don’t you say…?

Yeah I realized I posted in the wrong section, but it was still relevant in that those were the drivers that finally got XP x64 working under ACHI and RAID.

Here’s a for you, from me!

The ASUS drivers you had tried didn’t work, because the required correct DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller (DEV_2826) is missing within the related driver information file named iaStor.inf (resp. iaStorAC.inf).
    This is what I did with all of my “mod+signed” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers:
    1. The missing HardwareIDs of all supported Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers have been added to the related .INF and .OEM files of the driverpack.
    2. At least the complete driverpack got a new digital signature (not really requred for Windows XP).

By the way: Since you succeeded at least with the installation of Windows XP x64 onto your X79 system running in RAID mode, I added the prefix “Solved” to the thread title. This may be a good hint for other users with a similar problem.

Sorry, didn’t realize you replied! - guess I haven’t subscribed to my own thread! Well I have now! Was checking to see if you did manage to reply to my last post whilst I got some notifications from the other thread, and you did.

The ASUS drivers you had tried didn’t work, because the required correct DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA RAID Controller (DEV_2826) is missing within the related driver information file named iaStor.inf (resp. iaStorAC.inf).

I don’t have iaStor.inf or iaStorAC.inf for XP IRST drivers, but I do have iaStorA.inf and iaACHI.inf. In the file iaACHI, I searched for "DEV_2826" without quotes i nthe find box and it came back with nothing, but in iaStorA.inf, it came back with these lines:

[INTEL.NTx86.5.2]
    ;server
    %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826&CC_0104.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826&CC_0104

[INTEL.NTamd64]
    ;server
    %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826&CC_0104.DeviceDesc% = iaStorA_inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826&CC_0104

diskId1 = "RSTe Installation Disk"
    ;server
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller"

Here, I've uploaded the 64-bit XPx64 drivers, that I downloaded from the Asus website, in the attachment that you can inspect for yourself and then tell me what's wrong with it, if any problems that's causing it to not work when I upload it via F6 FDD when asked during windows installation or integrated:

And here are the hashes for the zip file:
    MD5: ebe87045239ca252aeca00fc5caf76f5
    SHA256: 8a9f2a719d7a215b66bbd22e5cbe4c4c1ac483337e65aef4a730117c8a358b06

Or if you don't trust my upload, you can always go onto the Asus website, type in Rampage VI Extreme, go to download section, pick XP 64-bit as OS and download as driver and select SATA and it would be the latest one - v3.0.0.3011.

[quote="Fernando, post:10, topic:31200"] This is what I did with all of my "mod+signed" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers:
    1. The missing HardwareIDs of all supported Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controllers have been added to the related .INF and .OEM files of the driverpack.
    2. At least the complete driverpack got a new digital signature (not really requred for Windows XP). [/quote]
    Hm, alright I suppose.

[quote="Fernando, post:10, topic:31200"] By the way: Since you succeeded at least with the installation of Windows XP x64 onto your X79 system running in RAID mode, I added the prefix "Solved" to the thread title. This may be a good hint for other users with a similar problem.
    [/quote] Yep cheers - I would have probably forgotten to do that! hahaha

64bit.zip (278 KB)

Sorry, that one was IRST not RSTe which is the bigger 250MB download. Here I’ve attached the RSTe version. In the previous post, I attached IRST. But you can still inspect both. Seeing how it wasn’t extracted, I am thinking what I did was try to run IRST drivers whilst the BIOS setting for Intel SATA controller was set to RSTe and not IRST. Or maybe it would have done the same thing anyways…hahaha, I’m not about to go through that again to find out - I’ve had enough headaches for one windows XP installation! XP

Hashes:
    MD5: a2ed76c121a06ac146f28596fbd279a8
    SHA256: def3281d4d1302f559b6c6da8296f8049346915ad2e8bbd77134d5c8424a2da3

XP_64bit.zip (272 KB)